Rose Valley Reservoir Vandalism

James Moller

Rose Valley Reservoir Vandalism

Post by James Moller »

The last weekend of spring break and our drinking reservoir for 12,000 residents was vandalised. A staff member made their routine trip up to the dam this morning and was shocked to see garbage strewn about, remnants of a large fire pit, tagging/painting of the chlorination and control buildings, and a missing surveillance camera (they obviously did not see the other one that captured their identities).

This is a call to the public, that if you know or were a part of this activity to please contact the Lakeview Irrigation District at (250) 769-4322, and come forward with further information, and the return of this camera. Thank you,
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, concerned citizens can change world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has."- Margaret Mead
JohnCambell
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Rose Valley Reservoir Vandalism

Post by JohnCambell »

they need to clamp down on these fools. Put them to long hours on community service, cleaning up our city, get em scraping graffitti off, picking up garbage, sweeping sidewalks, for at least 100 hours. Start making a statement.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I always wondered why these punks don't just party at the landfill... it would be perfect for them, they obviously love garbage around them so that's a good start... they could vandalize anything they find... tag at will... it would be like winning the lottery! Then maybe if their dreams come true they can move to a slum in Chicago where there's tagging and garbage everywhere... loser luxury! I hope they get caught and charged, and maybe the old phone book treatment would be a good idea.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
James Moller

Post by James Moller »

Well, I understand that people are still leaving garbage and lighting fires up at the dam at Rose Valley. If you happen to notice any activity (where there should not be any) please call (250) 762-3300 or (250) 862-7249 and report this.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, concerned citizens can change world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has."- Margaret Mead
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

James Moller wrote:...and a missing surveillance camera (they obviously did not see the other one that captured their identities).

This is a call to the public, that if you know or were a part of this activity to please contact the Lakeview Irrigation District at (250) 769-4322, and come forward with further information, and the return of this camera. Thank you,

We know you did this, but for the sake of redundancy why don't you turn yourself in...

1. Crop faces from surveillance video (if it actually exists)
2. Create flyer with vandals faces on it
3. Distribute flyer throughout Rose Valley
4. ?????????
5. Profit!
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
viobach
Fledgling

Post by viobach »

Hope you find them, and make them clean off our mail boxes too!!! Should be a federal crime for vandalizing federal property.
"It is almost impossible to exaggerate the complete unimportance of almost everything" Unknown
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

The WORST vandalism that ever occurred at Rose Valley Dam was when the Lakeview Irrigation District destroyed the beautiful wetlands at the north end of the lake in the late 70s - early 80s. That was critical habitat for hundreds of species of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and invertebrates. The destruction done by the irrigation district was down right criminal, all in the name of development. The wetlands was burned and plowed under.

Now they've completed the diversion of Dunwaters Creek - so much for the downstream ecosystem that relied on that water on the Shorts Creek side. Critical habitat wrecked once again by our water purveyors, who want to kick you off a lake for teaching a kid to catch a fish and having respect for the environment.

Oh yeah, James Moller is the manager of the Lakeview Irrigation District. Thanks a lot, James! :purefury:
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Have any of those wetlands been restored in any way?

And Rwede, I never and I mean never took you to be in tune with eco-systems, wetlands, nature or what it means to be witnessing the destruction there of.

My bad for not paying attention. You rarely make posts revealing this side of you.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Queen K wrote:Have any of those wetlands been restored in any way?

And Rwede, I never and I mean never took you to be in tune with eco-systems, wetlands, nature or what it means to be witnessing the destruction there of.

My bad for not paying attention. You rarely make posts revealing this side of you.

That's interesting Queen. Aside from the myriad of politically bent comments, I've found most all others from Rwede along the lines of conservation/environmental management.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Odd, I've only seen the political posts.

But this is about the Rose Valley Reservoir and it's relative health or lack there of.

Is there any more news about if the vandalism is still on going and what is being done about it.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
burner
Fledgling

Post by burner »

Hmmm, Lakeview Irrigation District! You mean the same group that pulled all stops to prevent the creation of an incredibly well run, well organized and environmentally sensitive ORV park in the Bear Creek area because they wanted to put a engineered bridge across Bald Range creek , where now incidentally within meters of the same creek very close to the bridge site exists a huge gravel pit and as of last year just above the creek in the same area it is now clear cut , but not a peep from the L.I.D , nope no love or respect for this group!
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

I'm up there mtn biking several times a week and besides a fairly low level in the reservoir, everything seems fine. North and south access roads are well blocked to prevent anyone from driving in. There is a fire pit at the north end and occasionally people bring in glass bottles and leave a small mess but nothing outrageous. The several buildings at the south end look ok, but I rarely go all that close to them. My feeling is that with access limited to hikers and bikers, they are being left alone.
steve mc
Fledgling

Post by steve mc »

flooding the wetlands plus fire retardant=algae bloom=54million treatment plant ,create more wetland=no algae beavers will do it for free

Return to “Central Okanagan”