Kelowna's underground economy

Kelowna's underground economy

Postby grumpies daughter » Jan 6th, 2010, 9:59 pm

Wow! the underground economy in Kelowna is now growing by leaps and bounds. It seems like every day, I am approached by people wanting to pay cash , (no tax) in our little business, and, these people are driving expensive vehicles, and wear expensive clothes, etc,. I have heard about secret warehouse sales of stuff, that firemen and police members attended , and bought! Where do us few remaining honest people turn to?
try to live your whole life west of the rockies
grumpies daughter
Board Meister

Liked in: 35 posts

Re: Kelowna's underground economy

Postby grammafreddy » Jan 6th, 2010, 10:11 pm

Okay ... now I need to know where these warehouses and such are. The underground economy is going to get a whole lot stronger and barter will become a choice in the way of doing business soon, too, I think. First people will ask, "How much for cash?" then when there's no deal, they will either pay or go look somewhere else for a cash deal.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Liked in: 794 posts

Postby grumpies daughter » Jan 6th, 2010, 10:22 pm

these wharehouse sales crop up by word of mouth, and I often hear about them after the fact! I guess i am not in the loop, so to speak, but, hear customers bragging about the deals they got, and how they must be legal, as they met their neighbour the rcmp officer there! I don't think this is on the up and up
try to live your whole life west of the rockies
grumpies daughter
Board Meister

Liked in: 35 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 6th, 2010, 10:25 pm

And then end up in front of a judge because they were caught in a sting operation for tax evasion, or maybe just helping some lowlife launder their ill-gotten gains.

I get offered this all the time and refuse..pay straight, or go elsewhere, makes little difference to me.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 2976 posts

Postby John500 » Jan 6th, 2010, 10:48 pm

Has been going on in Europe for many years because of taxes, taxes and more taxes. We are on the same path. The more the taxes rise, the more people will barter and/or work for cash deals only.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 169 posts

Postby fvkasm2x » Jan 6th, 2010, 10:53 pm

I feel left out. I have no idea what anyone here is talking about.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Liked in: 1342 posts

Postby Nebula » Jan 6th, 2010, 10:55 pm

Hey Meestore... u wanna buya watch?
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 125 posts

Postby Graham Adder » Jan 6th, 2010, 11:09 pm

Nebula wrote:Hey Meestore... u wanna buya watch?

Or a Letter 'B'. That's right. I said a letter 'B'. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Graham Adder
Guru

Liked in: 927 posts

Postby BoB76 » Jan 6th, 2010, 11:16 pm

Cash gets things done quicker as well.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
BoB76
Guru

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby SpaceAddict » Jan 6th, 2010, 11:18 pm

That is why they put in the GST. Think it's bad here? Ontario would not survive without a underground economy. It's always been that way. With the GST the government can estimate it's size and take a cut of it anyway. Now you know why the push for the HST. Not all but most of the cut. It will eventually end up back in the economy and it will be taxed at some point. Money makes poor fuel to heat your house and it only works if you spend it somewhere. Burning it sucks. Even drug money pays the GST and BC taxes eventually.
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 0 post

Postby BoB76 » Jan 6th, 2010, 11:24 pm

SpaceAddict wrote:That is why they put in the GST. Think it's bad here? Ontario would not survive without a underground economy. It's always been that way. With the GST the government can estimate it's size and take a cut of it anyway. Now you know why the push for the HST. Not all but most of the cut. It will eventually end up back in the economy and it will be taxed at some point. Money makes poor fuel to heat your house and it only works if you spend it somewhere. Burning it sucks. Even drug money pays the GST and BC taxes eventually.

Spend it in the US.....it goes further!
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
BoB76
Guru

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby skidlips » Jan 6th, 2010, 11:26 pm

What is the actual problem with a cash deal ? Mr Government doesn't collect tax on a service which shouldn't be taxed in the first place! Personally I think they take more than enough of my hard earned cash and if skipping out on a little tax hear and there makes a difference in the multi billions that they collect....we have bigger problems! Like the higher income government employees that have to spend that track down the 153.76 in GST you dodged (random ammount\example. Paying cash to another hard working person for a service or goods and avoiding the tax every now and then..who gives a *bleep, look at your pay stub, break down the tax on fuel, enviro levies and my favorite...property transfer tax! Sure there are some greasy crooked, criminal underground elements out there but let look at the big picture!!!
Rutland it is!!!
skidlips
Board Meister

Postby okanaganarea » Jan 7th, 2010, 1:00 am

fvkasm2x wrote:I feel left out. I have no idea what anyone here is talking about.

Me neither. Can someone please tell me where I can find a cash sale warehouse. Just for research purposes.
okanaganarea

Postby hutton » Jan 7th, 2010, 6:48 am

Canadians are so heavely burdened with taxes it it no wonder people look for a deal or a way around taxes. I see nothing wrong with cash deals.
hutton
Fledgling

Liked in: 29 posts

Postby kman320 » Jan 7th, 2010, 6:59 am

mmajunkie wrote:
fvkasm2x wrote:I feel left out. I have no idea what anyone here is talking about.

Me neither. Can someone please tell me where I can find a cash sale warehouse. Just for research purposes.

me too!
kman320

Liked in: 1 post

Next

Return to Central Okanagan