Kelowna's underground economy

Re: Kelowna's underground economy

Postby MAPearce » Jan 11th, 2010, 9:09 pm

I know someone who built most of a house and payed cash. Everything down to concrete and steel work. I think one of the only things he couldn't do was drywall and certain things that had to be purchased from a store. ALL labour was cash.

So.. How did that work out for them? good quality,warranties???
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 3736 posts

Postby BoB76 » Jan 11th, 2010, 11:10 pm

MAPearce wrote:I know someone who built most of a house and payed cash. Everything down to concrete and steel work. I think one of the only things he couldn't do was drywall and certain things that had to be purchased from a store. ALL labour was cash.

So.. How did that work out for them? good quality,warranties???

No problems. Fists full of cash is a bit of a pain. He did fire the electrician as he was ripping hrs off. Paid him what he thought was fair. What's the guy gonna do??? Take him to court for not paying enough cash?
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
BoB76
Guru

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby MAPearce » Jan 11th, 2010, 11:47 pm

True enough.Don't think I'd be brave enough to build a whole house on cash though.I'd be concerned about warranties,utillity hook ups,inspections,and assesments.Glad it worked out for him though!
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Postby BoB76 » Jan 12th, 2010, 12:09 am

MAPearce wrote:True enough.Don't think I'd be brave enough to build a whole house on cash though.I'd be concerned about warranties,utillity hook ups,inspections,and assesments.Glad it worked out for him though!

I suppose he had to pay the inspections etc. All other work was cash including tiling, electrical, plumbing, roofing, stucco.........

Saved a ton.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
BoB76
Guru

Postby MAPearce » Jan 12th, 2010, 12:20 am

I'm not surprised.Glad it all worked out for him.....Um...maybe you could tell him that I'm still looking for boots!! (lol so hard I peed myself)
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Postby fluffy » Jan 12th, 2010, 8:40 am

BoB76 wrote:...Saved a ton.

So, all in all, from start to finish on his house project, how much do you figure this thieving slime ripped the system for? (sorry, is my bias showing? I'm just sort of wondering why this guy is so special that he doesn't have to pay his share to keep the country running, and why the rest of us should carry his thieving *bleep*?)
Okey dokey doggie daddy.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4021 posts

Postby steelrules » Jan 12th, 2010, 8:55 am

I find it interesting that if one small guy finds a way to avoid taxes he gets bashed, but when all the big CEO's find a way to get into the 15% tax bracket no one says peep.
Is it not capitalism?
"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves"
Edward R Murrow
Now a proud member of the NRA & Canadian Sport Shooting Association.
Sic Semper Tyrannis
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 22 posts

Postby Boda » Jan 12th, 2010, 9:11 am

steelrules wrote:I find it interesting that if one small guy finds a way to avoid taxes he gets bashed, but when all the big CEO's find a way to get into the 15% tax bracket no one says peep.
Is it not capitalism?

Obviously the difference being weather it's legal or not.
Boda
Board Meister

Liked in: 241 posts

Postby robik » Jan 12th, 2010, 9:18 am

BoB76 wrote:No problems. Fists full of cash is a bit of a pain. He did fire the electrician as he was ripping hrs off. Paid him what he thought was fair. What's the guy gonna do??? Take him to court for

I get a kick out of these clowns, both the electrician and the thieving homeowner! They set up a relationship based on dishonesty (if you help me rip off the government and give me a discounted price, I'll pay you cash and maybe I'll pay you what I agreed to but probably not). Then they both wonder what went wrong when the Sparky over bills and the builder screws him... when you roll with pigs it's hard not to get mud on yourself!

Personally, I hope this a$$hole's house falls apart sooner than later.
robik

Liked in: 0 post

Postby zak97 » Jan 12th, 2010, 11:10 am

Pay your taxes ...there are hundreds of foriegn workers that your tax dollars are paying for .your taxes fly them to Canada pay half their wages and fly them home millionaires in their home country never once contributing a cent in taxes to Canada.
zak97
Board Meister

Liked in: 1 post

Postby coffeeFreak » Jan 12th, 2010, 5:15 pm

zak97 wrote:Pay your taxes ...there are hundreds of foriegn workers that your tax dollars are paying for .your taxes fly them to Canada pay half their wages and fly them home millionaires in their home country never once contributing a cent in taxes to Canada.

If there are foreign workers being "flown" in it's being done by corporations and companies who don't give a darn who makes their money for them so let's place the blame at the feet of the true offenders.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Liked in: 477 posts

Postby Captain Awesome » Jan 12th, 2010, 5:30 pm

I'd rather have everything in order, pay my taxes and sleep well rather than worrying about CRA all the consequences. Most crimes happen because people are too stupid to think ahead and get busted.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3122 posts

Postby zak97 » Jan 12th, 2010, 5:41 pm

Don't you think I know this ?My point is that it is done with the ok from government.They post an ad for 400 welders 300 Canadians apply,so the company says we need to hire from overseas.Instead of hiring 300 Canadians and 100 foriegn workers they hire 50 of us and 300 foriegn workers You pay half of their wages they pay no tax and take your tax dollars home.This happens with every trade out there.Are YOU ok with this.
zak97
Board Meister

Liked in: 1 post

Postby damngrumpy » Jan 12th, 2010, 7:59 pm

Canadians may be overtaxed, but they sure like the highways up to snuff, they like hospitals and
medicare and a host of other services. As for Europe, they have heavy taxation but almost all
their needs are taken care of, and the money left over is theirs and they end up with more than
we do. That is because, we tax but don't spend it on the programs that were promised.
As for the cash thing, it catches up in the end. Think about it, once one of these people have been
caught they will rat out everyone else to make a deal with prosecutors.
Its better to pay up and sleep better at night knowing that there won't be a knock on the door with
a tax man on the stoop waiting for an explanation.
I will however make an exception for the HST. I have mostly new stuff but in future years I will pay
cash and buy out of Province. The business community elected this deceitful government and we
should make them pay just like we should make the BC Liberals pay for their lies.
damngrumpy
Übergod

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby BoB76 » Jan 13th, 2010, 12:20 am

So nobody pays cash for things on here? Does anybody pick their noses? You are all liars!! Give me a break! How many people out there are claiming EI and still working full time? Welfare with cash jobs? On WCB but going skiing on weekends? There are so many ways people steal from the Governments and you can't tell me nobody does it. I know people who do all of the above and that's just me.
BoB76
Guru

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan