Where to find Morel mushrooms in the Okanagan?

11090163A

Re: Where to find Morel mushrooms in the Okanagan?

Post by 11090163A »

Thanks everyone for the advice!! really helpful ya i figured it was probably to early so we'll go after the rain like you said thanks again!!
Jaide_d
Fledgling

Post by Jaide_d »

THERE ARE NONE. NEVER HAVE BEEN. NEVER WILL BE. GIVE UP NOW.
unknown

Post by unknown »

Jaide_d wrote:THERE ARE NONE. NEVER HAVE BEEN. NEVER WILL BE. GIVE UP NOW.

There will be truck loads where the big Terrace Mountain fire was last summer. Just walk through the burned areas under the dead trees, when the time and temperature and moisture is right there will be millions.
11090163A

Post by 11090163A »

We went up by Fintry!!! we found 7 pounds worth YAYYY!!
11090163A

Post by 11090163A »

Oh please Jaide-d i guess you dont want me to find your precious mushrooms less pickers less competition!
Solipsis

Post by Solipsis »

Apparently the fire sterilizes the ground which encourages the spores to grow. The actual spores are everywhere.

sorta. The mycophae (the actual mushroom plant) is everywhere underground, feeding off the decay around the root systems. When the trees die the mushrooms have a huge loss of food and put all of their energy into producing fruit (mushrooms) in order to produce seeds (spores) and move to somewhere with more live trees (food).

Where there was fire, there will be morels the next year after the first good rainfall, and after the thaw of course.
"The world will not be saved by old minds and new programs, but by new minds with no programs."
emg
Fledgling

Post by emg »

Last edited by emg on Jul 17th, 2010, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy S
Board Meister

Post by Andy S »

In my saucepan ;-)
Attachments
morels_sauce.jpg
One can always reason with reason.
baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by baconbits »

Does anyone know if it's been warm enough yet to go mushroom picking?
sidewalker
Fledgling

Post by sidewalker »

I saw a few mushrooms popped up last week around some shady warm wet spots on the hills not too high, nothing of great value that I know of. Looked within a week old.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

unknown wrote:
Jaide_d wrote:THERE ARE NONE. NEVER HAVE BEEN. NEVER WILL BE. GIVE UP NOW.

There will be truck loads where the big Terrace Mountain fire was last summer. Just walk through the burned areas under the dead trees, when the time and temperature and moisture is right there will be millions.

The Terrace Mtn fire was not last year!
Last year was the picking year for the fire from the year before.
It is far too early to find many Morels, there is 2-4 feet of snow around Terrace Mtn, even if some did pop up.
It is too cold at higher elevations for them, but you can get lucky and find some naturals down low right now.

I still have 22 pounds of dried from last years picking.
PM me if you are interested.
NotLikeYou
Board Meister

Post by NotLikeYou »

Wait til june roughly 1 year after a forrest fire, You will find them, They can be found for several years after the fire.

You can go up o.k mtn park, terace, fintry, glenrosa, and the mountain above pebble beach, Probablt your best bet as it is lowest in elavation
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

NotLikeYou wrote: They can be found for several years after the fire.

I have yet to see that! Usually the spring and summer after the fire and that's it!
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Morels typically grow abundantly in areas damaged by forest fire. These bumper crops may continue for two or three years after a fire, and commercial gatherers sometimes flock to the smoldering ashes in hopes of a cash crop.

Morels also grow in the same locales year after year as long as the picker doesn't harm the mycelium that produces the mushroom. Undamaged, and with favourable weather conditions, the fungus will produce a crop each year.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

We couldn't find any in the Terrace fire a couple of weeks ago. I think it's been over-picked by the commercial guys, or too much time has passed after the fire, or both.

Those commercial guys should made a pig-pen out of the place they were camped - MFLNRO (eg your tax dollars) had to go in and clean up the chit-show they left behind. I hope they charged the pigs involved.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Return to “Central Okanagan”