Day trip from Kelowna

netfreak
Übergod

Re: Day trip from Kelowna

Post by netfreak »

Agate Bay road is paved right up the point you see on the map where it meets the water. It then becomes the Adams Lake FSR going both north and south and is a gravel road at that point. I've taken it south to where it meets up near shushwap lake. There is quite nice scenery around the Adams Lake area but you really need to be down by the water as the trees along the FSR really block your view.

The Chase-Falkland backroad is also quite nice. Took that once real early morning so I was the only car.

Douglas Lake road out of Westwold takes you up to some nice farm type scenery, but the road is quite tough at the start. I drove it in a lowered Honda because I didn't know what I was getting into, and I probably topped 5kph some parts. It turns to a more passable gravel road up higher but the start is very rough.

Geez now I really want to get my car fixed for more trips...
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

logman wrote:Are you speaking of westside rd to the McClure ferry or all the way to Barrier Queen K?

Don't you mean Westsyde Road? <insert silly grin> I've taken the ferry a dozen times or so, but only took the road all the way to Barriere once. I believe the pavement on Westsyde ends just north of the McClure ferry.

To Queen K: I've never heard of Albas Falls, but we are going to be up at Adams Lake and the Shuswap in the next couple of days, so maybe we'll have to check it out. I think Agate Bay Rd. has great scenery, just not as amazing as some of the views above Adam's Lake is all I'm saying.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

logman wrote:Are you speaking of westside rd to the McClure ferry or all the way to Barrier Queen K?

Westside Rd from Kamloops to Barrier. Actually I'm thinking of taking it from Barrier down, anything interesting on it? We find interesting stuff from all over anyways but if Dunn Lake FSR is better, I'd rather know.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Glacier, Albas Falls Prov. Park is about 28-35 kms up from St. Ives and well worth the effort for you and the family to get there.

In fact I PMed the Parks BC fb site to point out there is in fact no accurate information about Albas Falls and distances from anywhere, Scotch Creek, Celista or St. Ives.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

netfreak wrote:Agate Bay road is paved right up the point you see on the map where it meets the water. It then becomes the Adams Lake FSR going both north and south and is a gravel road at that point. I've taken it south to where it meets up near shushwap lake. There is quite nice scenery around the Adams Lake area but you really need to be down by the water as the trees along the FSR really block your view.

The Chase-Falkland backroad is also quite nice. Took that once real early morning so I was the only car.

Douglas Lake road out of Westwold takes you up to some nice farm type scenery, but the road is quite tough at the start. I drove it in a lowered Honda because I didn't know what I was getting into, and I probably topped 5kph some parts. It turns to a more passable gravel road up higher but the start is very rough.

Geez now I really want to get my car fixed for more trips...

This July we are going to do the Douglas Ranch Rd in reverse from Hwy. 5A just to see how it all looks different. And yes, we noticed that a route done one way is not the same the other way.

Can't wait to do Christian Valley this year too.

Get your car fixed man!
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

The Christian Valley is a beauty of a drive. I chose to spend a night in a tent to make it a two day journey but it is a great day drive. Keep in mind the gas station/convenience store is not there in Westbridge due to a fire a few years back. Rock creek is a bit out of the way if you are coming from the north.
Last edited by logman on Jun 1st, 2013, 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Exactly Logman, and Beaverdell doesn't have a gas station anymore either.

I'll go from the West Bridge side and end up gassing up in Cherryville. It is a very nice drive, start early and take lots of food/water. I haven't been on it for over 18 years, but am looking forward to seeing it again.
baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by baconbits »

No gas in Beaverdell anymore wow that's nuts. So if you're going from kelowna and heading through the CV is there no gas until cherryville?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Unless something has changed from last year, yes, that's true.

Oh,and as an aside, Westbridge has a great little thrift store.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

Hey Queen. I think it's at the 46 km mark or so on the CV road, there is a forestry campsite. A bend in the river and a great,deep swimming hole. Cliffs to jump off into the deep pool when the weather is hot. The nicest place on the river in my opinion .
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Last edited by matai on Oct 22nd, 2013, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Agate Bay Rd report: What a fantastic backroad! Even getting there on Adams Lake road was easy, watch for logging trucks though, even tho it is wide and graded. We got to Agate Bay in no time and had a wonderful trip.
brounal
Board Meister

Post by brounal »

Just got back from mini trip to Summerland. It could easily be done in a day as its so close but stayed at hotels just for the getaway for weekend feeling.
While there went for ride on the Kettle Valley Steam train with the special Robbery/Barbecue thing they have sometimes and saw Museum in Town and also went thru Classic Car museum just out of town. Nice trip and close trip.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

You all missed a good time at Lumby Days on the weekend including the car show and shine, extreme motor cross, Thrash Wrestling show, live animal display including a friendly zebra for petting, amusement rides, antiques & gun show, creative anachronism, live music featuring some of the best acts in the Okanagan, hang gliders, helicopter rides, a large model railway display, pie and ice cream, a newly opened spray park, Monashee Art Council demos, displays, and live music, a parade, a silent auction, an indoor trades booths, and many more.

Sucks to you guys for missing all the fun. Aw well, there's always next year.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
james-d
Banned

Post by james-d »

the road over the Monashee is okay, But the logging trucks coming out of the Kettle have taken a severe toll on this highway.
the trip over to Grand forks ,up to edgewood is a long rough drive ,would take a long time, Done it a dozen times.

Return to “Central Okanagan”