Well look what......... Kelowna paid for a bear

Re: Well look what......... Kelowna paid for a bear

Postby Evan » Sep 8th, 2010, 10:45 am

Well I missed having my name on a fancy plaque by a year! Shoot!
To be inspired.
Evan
Board Meister

Liked in: 13 posts

Postby Smaug » Sep 9th, 2010, 8:05 am

How outrageous! The City actually paid an Artist? How dare they!!! Lawyers and Planners NEED all that money! I don't suppose the sculpture took much time to create, and a lowly Artist can't be worth more than, say $12.50/hr.
Smaug
Fledgling

Liked in: 0 post

Postby chrisanddave » May 12th, 2011, 9:05 pm

The Bear is here, it's beautiful and I don't care where it came from. It's fabulous at night!
chrisanddave

Postby Nationalpro » May 12th, 2011, 9:41 pm

who doesn't have $160,000? i wipe my *bleep* with 160,000!!
Nationalpro

Postby Roadster » May 12th, 2011, 9:53 pm

Nationalpro wrote:who doesn't have $160,000? i wipe my *bleep* with 160,000!!

Worth of thoughts that is,,, :dyinglaughing:
I don’t like making plans for the day, because then the word “premeditated” gets thrown around in the courtroom

♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Roadster
Time waster at work

Liked in: 1231 posts
Location: Sleeping in yer motorhome, kinda nice in here but could you change the sheets on the beds soon? :D

Postby countach » May 12th, 2011, 11:32 pm

Yeah wow I agree with a lot of people it's a nice bear and certainly well worth the investment, because as we all know were not investing in just a bear or artist but the future of Kelowna in general. I hope we have many more investment projects in the future too.
countach
Fledgling

Postby Queen K » May 13th, 2011, 5:37 am

Oh at this very moment the City Council is spending $25,000 on a roadmap on how to further enhance Kelowna with more public art projects. Maybe get more bears too.
If you have castanet friends on your facebook friend list, set your privacy setting on the friend list as "Only me." Just call, "Nagging Internet Wife" for all your problem nemesis'.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 10699 posts

Postby stay at home mom » May 13th, 2011, 12:27 pm

That's great that Kelowna is supporting U.S. artists because that U.S. dollar is tanking right now and they could use Canada's support.

I am not serious, but I do have to wonder about your local elected leadership that does not support local people and the local economy. Maybe come election time, someone should bring this up to any incumbents.

voice of reason likes this post.
stay at home mom

Liked in: 1 post

Postby butcher99 » May 13th, 2011, 2:34 pm

stay at home mom wrote:That's great that Kelowna is supporting U.S. artists because that U.S. dollar is tanking right now and they could use Canada's support.

I am not serious, but I do have to wonder about your local elected leadership that does not support local people and the local economy. Maybe come election time, someone should bring this up to any incumbents.

Perhaps it is better to have a slick looking sculpture like that one than some piece of local stuff that is not up to snuff. Not saying nothing local is not good enough, but if something like the bear, which I find quite stunning, beats it out to bad local artists, sharpen your pencils.

I would much rather have a great piece of art from outside the community than a good piece of local art.

BTW, next time you are all shopping in Walmart Safeway or Costco but especially Walmart, perhaps you could all get together and have a little discussion on buying local.
butcher99
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 488 posts

Postby Bestside » May 13th, 2011, 10:08 pm

stay at home mom wrote:That's great that Kelowna is supporting U.S. artists because that U.S. dollar is tanking right now and they could use Canada's support.

If our local artists had to rely on local sales of their product to live, most would starve...

Like everyone else, local artists need a larger footprint, national and international, to enlarge a following for their unique craft...
Be careful what you wish for, when talking protectionism ....
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
Bestside
Guru

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby GenesisGT » May 13th, 2011, 10:44 pm

vinnied wrote:so they unveiled the big bear today, and say it will look really nice at night time. well I'm glad.
But what also caught my eye in the story was the cost of the park went from 3.5 million on aug 24th

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#56517
"Design work on the $3.5 million park began back in 2004. It was originally scheduled to be complete as part of the city's centennial in 2006."
to 4.4 million in todays story,
http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#56721
"After several delays, the $4.4 million Stuart Park opened to the public back in June."

So which is the right number? that's a pretty big discrepancy, Kinda makes the price of a $160 000 dollar bear seem minuscule

I believe this is the bigger issue, how did they manage to miss the completion date by 5 years and spend nearly and extra $1M, which it was probably a lot more then that if you include management of the project by City Hall. May..June..July..Aug..Sept.. :bumkick:
Good judgement comes from experience. Where does experience come from? Poor judgement.
GenesisGT
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1608 posts

Public Art Installations or "art."

Postby Queen K » Dec 17th, 2017, 8:26 am

MAJOR BUMP

Public Art Installations

Seriously, folks the entire thread above is about how Kelowna got rooked for see-through bear and If I'm not mistaken that twisted metal "thing" at the Bennett Bridge.

The Emperor Has No Clothes!

Here we have Victoria grappling with "is the art Native enough" because an artist is trying to say the shape represents an Orca and well, Orcas represent indigenous people and once again retreating to the old saw, "art is what you make of it. Pay up."

I feel the citizens of Victoria are screwed blued and tattooed to allow this surfboard "thing" be installed at all. Completely hoodwinked like fools. It's not like it ever happened in Kelowna right?

Is the art "Native" enough? NO, it's not native at all. Not one bit. Someone even has to ask?

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#214231

Last edited by Queen K on Dec 17th, 2017, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you have castanet friends on your facebook friend list, set your privacy setting on the friend list as "Only me." Just call, "Nagging Internet Wife" for all your problem nemesis'.

2 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby WalterWhite » Dec 17th, 2017, 10:26 am

Haha! Just finished reading that story, ^^ and the first thing that came to my mind was people are going to be looking for the paddle board rental kiosk. The second thought was, if an artist requires a plaque or some other form of explaining what the piece is supposed to represent - then they've missed their mark.

What's also interesting, is the Castanet article is a complete copy/paste of a Canadian Press/Vancouver Sun article, yet no credit to the original story. Isn't that the same as posting photos without crediting the photographer? Certainly appears to be a Castanet original story, until one looks into it further online, only to find the entire article has been pulled from another source - yet no credit is given to that source.

2 people like this post.
WalterWhite
Übergod

Liked in: 1341 posts

Postby oneh2obabe » Dec 17th, 2017, 10:39 am

Castanet did credit The Canadian Press ... wherever they snatched an article from is always shown under the headline.

Is art native enough?
The Canadian Press - Dec 17, 2017 / 7:58 am
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

WalterWhite likes this post.
oneh2obabe
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 5028 posts

Postby Queen K » Dec 17th, 2017, 10:41 am

The surfboards are in the shape of one genetically mutated Orca.
And would they not be black and white?
Who is going to "get" the colours on that thing?

damama55 likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan