Channel Crossing Shopping Center

ogopogo90

Channel Crossing Shopping Center

Post by ogopogo90 »

Has anyone heard of any progress being made on the retail development that is planned to be built on band land? Is there any progress being made for a bridge to be built across the channel? Does anyone know when construction will actually begin?
So far I have only heard of Landmark Cinemas moving in.
Static
Guru

Re: Channel Crossing Shopping Center

Post by Static »

I doubt it will be built. Too many vacant commercial properties already.
scorpion1024
Fledgling

Post by scorpion1024 »

I cannot WAIT! I am super excited for more development and our town to grow. I am equally as excited for the PIB as this will create jobs and revenue for the band.

Something I love even more is that the "high horse" crusty residents of Penticton have zero right to say anything ABOUT IT!!! aaaaaaaaaaahahahaha! :coffeecanuck:

Let the debates begin! :)
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things
SavTrav

Post by SavTrav »

The billboard says it will be complete in 2011; the theatre that is.
The shopping centre billboard just says that the property is available to retailers.

Haven't heard too much about it, don't think many people have, really.
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

scorpion1024 wrote:I cannot WAIT! I am super excited for more development and our town to grow. I am equally as excited for the PIB as this will create jobs and revenue for the band.

Something I love even more is that the "high horse" crusty residents of Penticton have zero right to say anything ABOUT IT!!! aaaaaaaaaaahahahaha! :coffeecanuck:

With all due respect, the PIB has not exactly proven that they have what it takes (as a community) to build and run this centre with any kind of competence. I hope it goes well for them, if it does happen, but I also hope they get some great advice... maybe from the Westbank or Osoyoos First Nations Bands.
scorpion1024
Fledgling

Post by scorpion1024 »

Tero wrote:
scorpion1024 wrote:I cannot WAIT! I am super excited for more development and our town to grow. I am equally as excited for the PIB as this will create jobs and revenue for the band.

With all due respect, the PIB has not exactly proven that they have what it takes (as a community) to build and run this centre with any kind of competence. I hope it goes well for them, if it does happen, but I also hope they get some great advice... maybe from the Westbank or Osoyoos First Nations Bands.

REALLY? When did they HAVE an opportunity to prove themselves? Please tell me what YOU know about the PIB.

The current chief has proven through many small projects thus far in his term that his mind and abilities are in the right place. He is here to see his community grow. This is a wonderful thing!!! This is the right attitude!!

You are absolutely correct in saying that they should sit down with Westbank and Osoyoos. This is what any smart entrepreneur would do before they go into business. ONA is derived of all of these communities and they will help each other. This is what they do for their people.

Question for you Tero: Will you use this centre and shop there? What will it take for you to "feel confident" in this project?
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

scorpion1024 wrote:
Tero wrote:

REALLY? When did they HAVE an opportunity to prove themselves? Please tell me what YOU know about the PIB.

The current chief has proven through many small projects thus far in his term that his mind and abilities are in the right place. He is here to see his community grow. This is a wonderful thing!!! This is the right attitude!!

You are absolutely correct in saying that they should sit down with Westbank and Osoyoos. This is what any smart entrepreneur would do before they go into business. ONA is derived of all of these communities and they will help each other. This is what they do for their people.

Question for you Tero: Will you use this centre and shop there? What will it take for you to "feel confident" in this project?

Yes, if it's well planned out and well run, with knowledgable business owners, confident and welcoming staff, and ease of location, I will support it. I have absolutely little to loyalty to most businesses in Penticton, because they lack what I mentioned before. The only businesses I can think of that I purposely frequent are Johnston Meyer Insurance and Quick Lube Oil Change. I go back to them 100% because of their service and attitude towards the customer. I think that Mr. Kruger HAS done great things for the band, don't get me wrong, but I find it depressing to look at the reserve. So much poverty, and, from what you read in the news, so much infighting. I do wish them all the best.... I think they have the land and potential to give Westbank and Osoyoos a run for their money. They do the the potential to do the city proud.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Years and years of Stewart Phillips' sabre-rattling will haunt PIB council for years to come. Loose cannons do not attract the investment community.

There are also unsubstantiated rumblings that since waterways and bridges and highway interchanges are involved, much cooperation is needed from the Provincial government, and such cooperation may not be readily forthcoming.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Whatever1975

Post by Whatever1975 »

Does anyone know of any retailers/businesses interested in that venue/location yet? :sunshine:
shades23

Post by shades23 »

superstore /xtra foods (same company) (almost confirmed on public blueprints)
home depot (almost confirmed on public blueprints)
landmark cinema's (confirmed)
futureshop (wants into penticton)
The Brick (wants a bigger store)
Arby's (wants back into Penticton... also looking at lot between burger king and husky gas)
Montana's (was looking at walmart lot... would like it's own style of building though)

that's what I've heard... hurry up and build it
scorpion1024
Fledgling

Post by scorpion1024 »

shades23 wrote:superstore /xtra foods (same company) (almost confirmed on public blueprints)
Arby's (wants back into Penticton... also looking at lot between burger king and husky gas)
Montana's (was looking at walmart lot... would like it's own style of building though)

FABULOUS!!! :nyah:

When you say "confirmed on public blue prints" where do you find these?
Thanks for the update!
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

As soon as anyone finds the shortlist of GCs let me know. Please.

Thanks
obm

ETA: pm me if you want.
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
TashaSW

Post by TashaSW »

shades23 wrote:superstore /xtra foods (same company) (almost confirmed on public blueprints)

That'll be nice if Arby's came back to Penticton (if it wants back, why did it leave in the first place?? Ive lived here since 2002 and never saw a Arby's ??? Or was this a long time ago?) My fiance LOVES Arbys but we don't want to drive to Westbank/Kelowna JUST for that lol

Glad to see the names of other favorite places may be in that mall :) : :sunshine:
Now if only we could have IKEA here or at least close by. :)
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

TashaSW wrote:Ive lived here since 2002 and never saw a Arby's ??? Or was this a long time ago?)

They used to be where Boston Pizza is now, in fact I think the building was originally built for Arby's. They didn't last very long though, couple of years I think.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Central Okanagan”