Adopting the ward system?

Should the city of Kelowna use a ward system for election city council?

Yes
89%
No
5%
Need more information
5%

Total votes: 37

shrory
Fledgling

Adopting the ward system?

Post by shrory »

I am sure this has been mentioned before, but I am unable to find it, so here is a new thread.
When are we going to get a ward system in Kelowna as opposed the councilor at large system we now have?

1.Every area of the city deserves equal representation.
2.The ward system encourages councillors to become fully knowledgeable about the area they represent.
3.Running in a ward makes councillors more accountable to neighbourhood voters.
4.Your vote carries more weight in ward elections.
5.The ward system prevents the undesirable possibility of having all councillors come from the same area of the city.
6.A council elected at-large is more susceptible to being influenced by non-territorially based special interest groups, such as political slates or political parties.
7.The city is growing and becoming more diverse. A ward system can best accommodate these changes.
8.The ward system gives us a diversity of opinion on council.
9.Election debates are unworkable in an at-large system.
10.Citizens who need help know exactly who to contact and can hold them directly accountable at election time.
11.Ward elections allow candidates to personally visit each home in the ward, to speak personally with a member of each household they seek to represent.
12.An at-large election system means more candidates and longer ballots. This makes it extremely difficult for voters to thoroughly consider the issues or ask questions of each and every candidate.
13.In a democracy, it is important to make informed decisions. Ward elections, by facilitating face-to-face interaction betwen voters and candidates, help voters become better-informed.
14.In the at-large system, every councillor will be competing against every other councillor. That makes it more difficult for incumbent councillors to build mutual trust and camaraderie.
15.Federal, provincial, and regional elections are all based on the ward system.
16.In a city of roughly 140,000 people, it simply makes sense to have city politicians take responsibility for neighbourhood problems through a ward system.
17.The trend in Canada, and across North America is towards adopting ward systems.
18.Your councillor likely lives, drives, walks, and shops in your neighborhood. This gives councillors a better understanding of neighbourhood issues and allows them to be proactive in dealing with neighbourhood problems.
19.In the ward system, you are the boss. In the at-large general vote, you are simply a statistic.

Now my question is how to we go about adopting the ward system?
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Re: adopting the ward system?

Post by Bagotricks »

City Hall more accountable in Kelowna?

I think they like things the way they are, you know, spend as you please, screw up as you please, scratch the backs of your friends and family members and get re-elected based on a less than 20% voter turn out.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Adopting the ward system?

Post by grammafreddy »

Yes, this has been discussed before. Actually, I think Mayor Shepherd is in favour of the ward system. I am, too.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
MineralDoc
Board Meister

Post by MineralDoc »

*personal attack removed*/ferri
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

grammafreddy wrote:Yes, this has been discussed before. Actually, I think Mayor Shepherd is in favour of the ward system. I am, too.

I'll support anything that gets her closer to being out of the system.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Loed wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:Yes, this has been discussed before. Actually, I think Mayor Shepherd is in favour of the ward system. I am, too.

I'll support anything that gets her closer to being out of the system.

Well, that might not. I gather you don't like her?
__________________________________________________________________________________________

shrory
Fledgling

Post by shrory »

Can we discuss the merits for or against the ward system, and not be attacking people.

Thanks for the input GF, I am sure Nab, Urban, and Issueman will join us soon
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

when i hear the word ward i cant help think of that movie the gangs of new york. there were 5 wards in new york but there was still corruption and lack of political effectiveness. so what will a ward system really change??
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

sooperphreek wrote:when i hear the word ward i cant help think of that movie the gangs of new york. there were 5 wards in new york but there was still corruption and lack of political effectiveness. so what will a ward system really change??

One of the things that would change is that different "areas" of the city would have direct representation. The City of Kelowna is made up of a number of areas, some of which used to be their own little municipalities before the city swallowed them. Rutland is a primary example. Historically speaking, Rutland was unincorporated and the city boundaries didn't come out as far as Rutland. Not even the airport was inside the city boundaries. Then Hiram Walker built a manufacturing plant on the outskirts of Winfield and the city decided it wanted that tax revenue so it extended the city boundaries out to include the plant. I do not recall there was much consultation about it, either. It was like it just happened overnight at a council meeting where they just voted in a done deal. Poof!

Then, after they acquired Rutland, they abandoned it. Nothing was ever done here except the odd little project to shut us up when we got a little upset about the lack of services and the ignorance of city staff. It continues to this day. For the most part, anything good that ever happened in Rutland since the takeover happened because caring people belonging to non profit organizations raised the funds for things. When Ben Lee was on council we got a few things done and I would never discredit what he did manage to do for us here. But when Ben left, so did any city interest in Rutland.

A ward system would help in that a city councillor would be elected for the people of Rutland by the people of Rutland. They would have to be a resident (and hopefully longer term than just moving here to take advantage of a vote) and would have a direct interest in the well-being of the people in their ward.

Glenmore is another area that would benefit - but at least they have not been ignored by the city - mainly because the city planned for all that development out there and because the city dump is out that way.

While I don't wish to argue with "progress", I sure would like more of a voice in how that "progress" looked in the community (Rutland) I live in. City staff and its planning department have a tendency to ride roughshod over the citizen input. I have tried on numerous occasions to talk to them and they get a dead, dull, faraway look in their eyes. They do not want to hear what the people want - even though they do public hearings - but those are just to do a "show and tell" that amounts to nothing more than "Here's what we are going to do - to hell with you and what you want".

One of the main reasons Rutland has such a bad reputation is because the city allowed it to go to hell in a handbasket. Before the city took the town over, it was a wonderful place full of great community spirit. That spirit still exists - it is evident in the numerous family events we hold out here - the Scarecrow Contest, the May Day celebration, etc.

The reason you now have the Mission Greenway is because the Rutland Lions Club took the lead on that many years ago and raised the funds for the start of the park.

onamission

Post by onamission »

does anyone know, how to go about adopting the ward system?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

I was amazed when I moved to BC to find that larger cities did not have the ward system and elected representation was at large. In my experience only small towns where everyone knew one another had elections at large.

I thought that Kelowna had not kept in tune with it's growth..... (hmmm) but then I was even more amazed to read that BC places got rid of the ward system in the 1930s to prevent concentrations of asian folks from electing representation.
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
shrory
Fledgling

Post by shrory »

I wrote to the City Hall asking; “How does one go about approaching the City manager, regarding the city adopting the Ward System?”
I received a reply from Mr. Mattiussi, stating “…..that it takes a bylaw passed by City Council to change to a ward system. Therefore one could write to Mayor and Council to make the request. If Council does not grant the request there is really no other process……”
I find this process extremely undemocratic. Due to the fact that sitting councilors realize that it is easier to be elected and stay elected when they are “councilors at large”, than being elected under the Ward System. Mr. Mattiussi has offered me the opportunity of discussing this matter with him, an offer that I will accept.
shrory
Fledgling

Post by shrory »

Good article regarding the frustrations of Rutland Businesses and residents feeling left out…..

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/60 ... ed-by-city

We really do require the ward system and make the councilors more accountable
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

shrory wrote: Mr. Mattiussi has offered me the opportunity of discussing this matter with him, an offer that I will accept.

Did you see Matiussi and discuss this?

Return to “Central Okanagan”