Kelowna mud bogging and outdoor 4x4ing annual events

Mack of Trades

Kelowna mud bogging and outdoor 4x4ing annual events

Post by Mack of Trades »

Kelowna mud bogging and outdoor 4x4ing annual events….

In this forum page, my opinion on events that are needed to come back to the area is given and others are most welcome to leave there’s and their ideas are most appreciated. please do as we need to get something going again in the area lets pull together and figure out an event that is feasible for just about everyone

Since the end of postil mud bogs and the legislation put in by our governments, the lack of spring outdoor activities for motorized enthusiast has come to pretty much a zero. I so fondly remember the days of postil like it was yesterday. I surf thru videos online and remeness of the good old days of a major event like may long weekend, and miss it so. It truly just seems like everything keeps getting taken away for the people who live here, even places like the waterslides, Flintstones the boardwalk. Wake fest hydroplanes, what has happened to our wonderful place to live in the past 2 decades?

And now you can’t even take your rubber off the road without getting a fine or be accused of tearing up delicate marshland water sheds or creeks. they hire helicopters to fly to area’s out of reach for authority’s to pass tickets to spot outdoor enthusiast trying to enjoy what we have left to enjoy, we live in beautiful British Columbia but yet we are more and more being restricted to enjoying it, sure it’s always nice to go for a hike, but not all people like the same flavour of the outdoors some people love driving a truck thru the mud getting stuck. And having someone of the same let’s call it sport pulling them out. So they can get stuck again. How many people did may long weekend attracted?, just to sit on the shore and watch. think of the revenue an event like that would bring in if it were a sanctioned/organized event with porta potties, garbage cans security medical aid and a few safety regulations for the people involved in the bogging and for their vehicle .there is money to be made, in a way the dark side of me wishes there was a bank account set up and a way to get people to pitch in what they could to it.. being there are hundreds of people that just go to watch, I am most positive they would all chip in,,, and when the authority’s show up to pass on the $500 to $600 fines it would all be covered already, who would care about a fine if the money was already in the bank right authority’s would get there cash grab and the people would have their fun. In reality we all know that wouldn’t happen though. They tow vehicles and impound them now … but is it possible? Yes the possibility is there they can’t tow every vehicle realistically would never happen as most of us do want to abide by the law we are not criminals

See now since postil was so well known of a place to go people were less likely to venture out to find new ground to bog /4x4 around in and make a mess ruining new sensitive spots like creeks watershed marshland, when there was a place to go people would go there. But now people are heading out further from town trying to get away and yes there is more damage happening over a more widespread area and are the fines going to be given then? Very unlikely the person/s will be caught so the damage just keeps on getting worse. It won’t stop it will just keep getting worse off

Now what we need is a place to call home a place where you are welcome to get muddy spin your tires climb stuff and have a safer place to do it, in a place where the damage is limited to one spot contained to a spot and open to the public on the days of these events at a price, say like $20 a person or a weekend package price. family packages senior discounts so on so forth set up a type of beer gardens to control the drinking have on site security there is money to be made in this type of an event have food being serve set up a mobile first aid center and in my opinion myself I would even bet people would volunteer as security/first aid just to have an event like this happen and to have them there …someone out there does have the land just sitting there not doing anything just waiting for an event like 4x4ing and mud bogging , it doesn’t take a lot to get something like this happening annually .people have machinery that could set up the pits that would most likely help on building the course/ pits .

We desperately need to regain the outdoor motor vehicle fun in our towns we need events like mud bogging and 4x4ing, but also we need them controlled not like the old days of postil. but similar having it in a more controlled atmosphere so the environment was not littered with garbage so that people and families could feel safe not overcome with a bunch of drunk yahoo’s and raging druggies fights so on all of this is so possible ,and actually there was from my memory a group of guys up there trying to enforce a ill common respect amongst all of the people to keep it clean not break bottles so on but they were only limited to a few but a lot of times did help out the event and then a lot of times found themselves a bit of a trouble crowd . I know a lot of people are against the mud bogs but usually those are the people who sit at home reading the only articles the media publish about the events which are usually when something bad happens.

Well a lot worse things happen downtown any given day of the week outside the nightclubs. We have nightclub why can we not have mud bogging /4x4ing events; there is a way to do it the question is how? , and how many people are willing to work together to bring such an event back to the Okanagan? so as you sit there ask yourself what have you been doing with your spring this year ? if you’re a 4x4ing mud bogging outdoors motor kind of person are you really enjoying what you love to do or are you having to settle for what is left for us to do because myself I watch the vids and think of what life used to be like the sound of the engines ,being covered in mud from head to toe and the sound of a thousand or more people having the time of their lives for a few weekends out of the year  here’s a few vids if you never had the chance to be there and for those of you who were may it be a reminder of what we need to bring back as an annual event (viewer discretion is advised may not be suitable for all to watch ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S94sXOC9vsY …………………… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsMAu2M65ss&feature=related ………….. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3q-3pIoMM4&feature=fvwrel …………….. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a92CbEsb6jo&feature=related ………………..
Don’t you just miss it? I sure do …..And if any offense is taken by this writing I am sorry but do scroll up to the top and look for the big underlined word ;) as everyone is entitled to one good day all .....
come join us on facebook and lets get treadin .....Okanagan area 4x4 and Outdoor Event Organization[/size] ask to join our group .lets find a solution to reducing damage ,re-using the area ,and recycling the idea's:)
quagmaire
Fledgling

Re: Kelowna mud bogging and outdoor 4x4ing annual events

Post by quagmaire »

While I agree with much of what you are saying (being an enthusiast myself) this may not be the correct uhh, 'forum' to express these ideas: you will probably be met with much negativity.

You are probably aware that in the states, off road parks are in abundance. In Canada, and especially this area (IMHO) there just isn't the population to justify transforming 20+ acres into a pay as you go park. Besides the maintenance and upkeep, you have the insurance costs, security, first aid, etc that would be required for a private park.

I wouldn't do it.

The best you can do is join a local club, and abide by the T.R.E.A.D lightly! principles:
http://www.treadlightly.org/page.php/tread-principles/

MOST importantly, be an ambassador for your sport and speak out against those who chose to give the majority of us a bad name.
Giggidy, Giggidy

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
darylh

Post by darylh »

:rate10: awesome write up. I too spent many years up there (10+) and know people that have been there even longer then I have. And we all miss the fun times and good friends we have met there. Alot of us would spend the next week after an event up there just cleaning up garbage. when it came down to the mess that was always left up there, rarely or if at all was it any of the actual 4x4ers it was usually always the people that just came up to party. A bunch of us would always just do rounds checking out campsites and asking people to clean up there mess and stop people from cutting down trees. I remember first going up there when it was only 4x4ers with maybe a dozen or so spectators and you couldn't even tell anyone was up there after everyone was gone but now the spectator to 4x4er ratio is way off the scale. So when people blame the 4x4er for causing the mess up there just goes to show how uninformed they are about the situation up there. We considered postill like our own backyard and want to keep it as nice as possible and hope on day we will get to return up there again.
goalie
Übergod

Post by goalie »

what can i say, you answered your own question as to why the government doesn't allow you to tear up nature. I don't think you can compare closing Flintstone park to mud bogging being banned. For sure all the 'fun' activities are being 'taken' away from this city but some are for environmental reasons.

Can't some Ranch owner dig a hole for mud boggers to rip around in? That would be a good business apparently!
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Go buy your own land, build a mud pit, and fly at 'er. You're full of ideas about raising revenue, so get your bogger friends together and start looking for your own real estate to tear apart.

If instead you choose to destroy sensitive wetlands on Crown land, you'll be caught and ticketed, hopefully to the full extent of the law ($100,000). There will be citizen patrols on the backroads this May long weekend, working in conjunction with the CO Service and Forestry, who will report any infractions to the RAPP line (1-877-952-RAPP). I encourage anyone witnessing the destruction of their Crown lands to call RAPP with any information (plate numbers, pics, descriptions, locations, etc).
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
mattc99

Post by mattc99 »

You know what the sad thing is, all these people who think that EVERYBODY is tearing up crown land and bogging thru wetlands forget that there are some of us who have big trucks and jeeps that have the upmost respect for the wilderness. With that being said you should know the current club i am a part is extremely anal about cleaning up the wilderness and we hold gatherings that are stricky GARBAGE pick up, thats rite we go out and all we do is clean, not destroy, so please do consider that when u are replying to a post of this nature, just because there is the odd bad apple out there that sees fit to run his truck thru the cities water supply (IDIOTS) doesnt mean that every person in town running mud tires is destroying the enviroment and wilderness.
Mack of Trades

Post by Mack of Trades »

Well like it was said everyone is entitled to their opinions and good on them for sharing them

it seems some have a generalized opinion about outdoor motorized enthusiast (mud bogs/4x4ing/rock crawling etc.) in my opinion it is there lack of knowledge about the sport is what brings them to such conclusions of us all being reckless 4x4ers that just want to rip thru crown land ruining everything in sight. Sad some people actually do such things and fortunately not all of us are doing things like that and unfortunately the people who are doing it usually ARE NOT BEING CAUGHT regardless of citizens on patrol or the CO Officers as they can’t be in all places at the same time

So to further more of my original write up these would be the types of events that I believe a lot of people would be interested in and a lot of spectators would love to see come about in the Okanagan .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeS4xlcdBBc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7NaBOFQ9H4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URuksgWnqlo

I know people would volunteer their services to bring these events here , myself being one of them as a first aid/security …the so-called citizens on patrol would most likely offer the services for such events these event are so very possible and I believe would be very welcome here …why do we not have such events ? Who knows but if people can pull together I’m sure in the coming years we would have such events …could this forum be the beginning of great events to come? It may just be share it with your friends this is a place to come together, talk and see if we can bring some outdoor motorized fun back the sunny Okanagan.
I welcome you to tell everyone you know about it lets get some more outdoor enthusiast in here talking about and thinking about steps that could be taken to bring us some good events and plan a future of having such events it’s all so very possible
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeS4xlcdBBc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7NaBOFQ9H4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URuksgWnqlo
come join us on facebook and lets get treadin .....Okanagan area 4x4 and Outdoor Event Organization[/size] ask to join our group .lets find a solution to reducing damage ,re-using the area ,and recycling the idea's:)
james-d
Banned

Post by james-d »

This is in response to mack of trades. You are partly right, there used to be a mud bogging pit just out of Lumby, I don't know if it is still there but most likely not. Now, there are three kinds of people in the world, "those that make things happen" "those that watch what happen" and " those that wonder what the hell happened "! You can open a bank account, with an accountant as a watch dog, and have all your friends donate their money, Buy a piece of dirt ,make a bogging pit.If there are as many enthusiasts as you say there will be no problem raising the money.
It may not be real close to Kelowna, Like {Postill Lake area), but somewhere affordable.Then you can charge admission to your venue and make tons of money,. But however be aware that most of these folks, like the idiots who frequented postill lake, don't want to drive too far from their back yards, A lot won't pay money to enter, Don't like adhereing to ANY established rules with regard to sanctioned events, and being controlled. And mostly having to go to the same spot time after time to the point it gets boring. So that would eliminate a lot of users. I don't think you could find enough people or backing to make this work, but there is nothing stopping you from having a go at it, All you would have to do is get approvals from the ALR, most likely, Then the regional district office near where you want to hold the venue, then get written approval from any surrounding neigbours that may be affected by the noise increased traffic and the mess it creates. Then once you get over all these hurdles, then get permission from the RCMP to allow beer gardens on site,where they can have a member or two on site to watch in case anyone uses the beer garden then leaves and maybe driving under the inffluence. Then after all of this you will have to deal with the invironment offices to make sure that all the water and mud ,with all the associated contaminants from all these vehicles is 100 % contained on site and then removed and disposed of in a fashion that they will describe. Phew are you gettin the picture yet a real *bleep*, aint it. Wouldn't it be so much easier to just go into the mountains, find a mud hole some where in the sringtime, and chew the hell out of it, risk gettin caught ( that must be a rush ) then tear back to town, And look for a new spot next weerkend, Thats what is going on now. Don't miisunderstand me , I would enjoy watching as a spectator, but I really doubt that will happen. But it is afree country, Fill your boots.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

So has the OP started looking for private land to hold his event yet? Because, it's the only way he's going to make the event happen. It won't be held on Crown land, which I believe he was proposing, complete with "donations" towards fines handed out by the authorities. Getting enough "donations" for $100,000 for each offence? Unlikely.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

RichardWede wrote:So has the OP started looking for private land to hold his event yet? Because, it's the only way he's going to make the event happen. It won't be held on Crown land, which I believe he was proposing, complete with "donations" towards fines handed out by the authorities. Getting enough "donations" for $100,000 for each offence? Unlikely.

You already voiced your idea(appreciated), you can take your ignorance elsewhere now unless you have a more constructive point to make here(you don't).

Most organized boggers do so completely within legal bounds. When you realize that remember that your current words are falling on the wrong ears. The "problem" types don't care and never will, THEY should be the ones you should fine. Stay away from the organized groups, they do more good out there than you can even grasp.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

Loed wrote:
RichardWede wrote:So has the OP started looking for private land to hold his event yet? Because, it's the only way he's going to make the event happen. It won't be held on Crown land, which I believe he was proposing, complete with "donations" towards fines handed out by the authorities. Getting enough "donations" for $100,000 for each offence? Unlikely.

You already voiced your idea(appreciated), you can take your ignorance elsewhere now unless you have a more constructive point to make here(you don't).

Most organized boggers do so completely within legal bounds. When you realize that remember that your current words are falling on the wrong ears. The "problem" types don't care and never will, THEY should be the ones you should fine. Stay away from the organized groups, they do more good out there than you can even grasp.

I think the problem boggers face is they are a small group. I mean this group compared to many other organized sporting groups who use the wilderness as a venue for their activity. And this small group does a lot of damage where ever they tread – compared to any other. Even if it’s lightly. So by promoting your sport and trying to encourage more of this, makes most people who enjoy the outdoors worried about increased damage in sensitive areas. By bucking up and providing your own private areas seems like a real solution and the only one I think makes sense, considering what the nature of your “sport” or recreation is . . . tread and shred.
Mack of Trades

Post by Mack of Trades »

I do agree that the easiest way to bring about events like this would be on a plot of private land there would be a lot less b.s to have to go thru...prohibition of taking your rubber out to the bush will never work, when has prohibition of something actually worked out? There’s usually a lot more negative outcome when you prohibit something why not set an area and restriction it to a controlled environment…
Exactly like some have said maybe it’s the rush of being caught some people still rip up marsh lands or water sheds...im my belief I think people would come from all over the Okanagan and surrounding area’s to view and be part of a event such as these , Penticton hit to pass ..Thunder mountain raceway...Knox mountain hillclimb they are all successful outdoor motor sport events that are awesome as most would say they definetly do attraced a lot of people to view them. a lot of people involved in them work on their vehicles all year long just waiting for these events to start up to have the fun the challenges and the something to look forward to …
A lot of foot work I do agree it will take to bring such events here to the area but possible in the coming years , perhaps starting by contacting the mud bog event hosts from Alberta and finding out what all is involved in hosting an event such as the bogs and getting together a presentation and taking it into the mayor’s office for them to look over ,,,her statement in the paper the other day about the funds for an outside source to come in and consult for arts program $25,000 was kind of put on hold and part of her statement I believe in that write-up is that she wants the public’s input she doesn’t want to make a decision like that in office because in the end it is up to the people us the citizens …..But is it really lol
I do agree though there are environmental rule and regulations that apply to crown or private lands and as for having to have the police permissions for drinks I think it was said ….don’t quote on that ….but what about those big raver shows they do on private land where people as urinating in the bush and doing drugs so on so forth …
I much agree that there would have to be regulation and safety rules and such whether it be private land or the city would actually set aside a plot of land to hold such events even year round …like in the winter fill over the bog pit and make some skidoo racing or such , hold lawn mower races maybe even a fair like rock creek events so on , so much more can be done perhaps we just need a mayor who is not so much on putting up sidewalks that don’t really get used or paying for art that not too many people actually even want there.. We need activities for the people who live here rather than just going to the bar and getting drunk
If there is anyone you know out there with land that would ever consider it I encourage you to mention this posting to them perhaps they would have idea’s , maybe they have thought of it before and just figure its way to much to bother with , and I agree it would be a lot for one person to organize , so maybe castanet will one day consider putting a poll up on the from website page to see how many Kelowna and surrounding area’s would love to see a controlled event such as weekend mud bogs some local bands play there music ,maybe the public’s opinion may vary from the few of us that actually see this forum page …me for one myself would absolutely love events like these in the spring summer and fall …and maybe some winter sports also and for my friends well I am the more tame one they would most positively all give a hell yes .
So again I encourage anyone reading these write-ups tell anyone you know about this forum page if you truly like events like these spread the word and let’s get’r done … we can keep the majority out of the bush and actually give the people a place to have their fun instead of them doing in ways where they wreck the environment or be falsely and ignorantly accused or wrecking it, hurt themselves or others …. Thanks for all the reply’s everyone I really appreciate it
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Mtn Biker wrote:

I think the problem boggers face is they are a small group.

I think that is only half the problem. They are a small group and half that group are idiots.

The ones that break laws, ruin the environment, trespass, etc.... ruin it for the half that are good people.

Kind of like cyclists around town. Half follow laws/rules, but the idiots everyone complain about makes them all get painted with the same brush.

When a bogger gets pasted on the net, TV, etc... doing something stupid, people think "mudboggers are idiots" and not "that guy is an idiot."
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Seems that "organized" groups fail to stay within legal bounds too, despite what Loed would want us to believe.

Monster trucks were camped in the Black Mountain Irrigation watershed on Friday, allegedly tearing up the landscape near domestic water intakes, which is illegal.

Monster trucks driving through creeks in Black Mountain district watershed

By Judie Steeves - Kelowna Capital News
Published: May 07, 2011 4:00 AM

Dozens of monster trucks and 4x4 vehicles with big tires have been driving through Belgo Creek and mud bogging on Crown land in the Black Mountain Irrigation District’s watershed this weekend.

BMID administrator Bob Hrasko said Friday that the vehicles are driving through the creek just above the domestic water intake for customers of his water utility, so their activities will have an immediate impact on water supplies.

By driving through creeks, sediment and mud is disturbed and sent downstream, increasing the turbidity of water, which could trigger boil water advisories from Interior Health.

The district hired a helicopter Friday and planned to hire one Saturday as well, to take photographs of the activity to send to authorities with a mandate to prevent such illegal activity. It is illegal under the Forest and Range Practices Act to destroy grasslands, wetlands and riparian areas and fines are in the range of $500 to $600.

As well, owners of the estimated 20 to 30 vehicles set up a camp immediately adjacent to Graystokes Provincial Park, which is closed to motorized vehicles, except snowmobiles in winter.

The 12,000-hectare park was created in 2001 to protect its native wildlife and their habitat, which includes a complex of swamps, meandering streams—and the moose, mountain caribou and deer which make the area home.

Hrasko is concerned they may be damaging habitat in the park as well as in the BMID watershed, saying the trucks are spinning into deep snow and churning up mud from underneath the layer of snow.

“This is unacceptable behaviour. All this mud that’s churned up comes right down to us in town in our drinking water.

“The community has to show their disapproval for this kind of behaviour. If you see your neighbour with mud all over his truck, ask if he’s been mudbogging in your watershed and tell him that’s unacceptable,” advised Hrasko.

He noted that the location is so remote and in such deep snow still that it’s almost impossible to get in to ticket the offenders. He said the only place it’s legal to mud-bog would be on private property where the runoff wouldn’t enter a stream, lake or pond.

Ironically, May 1 to 7 was Drinking Water Week.
Mack of Trades

Post by Mack of Trades »

Please provide links/Thanks.

Return to “Central Okanagan”