Kelowna mud bogging and outdoor 4x4ing annual events

quagmaire
Fledgling

Re: Kelowna mud bogging and outdoor 4x4ing annual events

Post by quagmaire »

Mack of Trades is trying to drum up support for an organization with the goal of acquiring private lands for off road style sporting events, like mud bogs.

Thanks for the link, I'm sure Mack will appreciate that.
Giggidy, Giggidy

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
dlarrivee
Fledgling

Post by dlarrivee »

He should probably buy a lottery ticket then.
quagmaire
Fledgling

Post by quagmaire »

Personally, I give him an 'A' for enthusiasm and I hope that he can get something going.

You realize that the more trucks that are used on private lands in controlled events, the fewer that would be out on Crown lands looking for a challenge, right?
Giggidy, Giggidy

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

dlarrivee wrote:So what do you drive then?

And where do you plan to "mud bog" this thing and NOT be in a watershed?

Also since you want to have huge organized groups of people, you should probably start reading up on the permits, and insurance your events will require...
http://www.frontcounterbc.gov.bc.ca/
diarravee...I have to comment here, im not a "mud bogger" but I think you need to broaden your thought process. The man is trying to get through to you but you're not listening!! :137:
Sure do love Rutland!!
dlarrivee
Fledgling

Post by dlarrivee »

I know what he is trying to do, but using the term mud bogging to portray 4wd enthusiasts is a slight flaw in the approach is all.
emg
Fledgling

Post by emg »

quagmaire wrote: I'm going to suggest (and at the same time make a sweeping generalization) that a lot of the people who do the damage are young and ignorant: They simply don't know the implications of their actions.

Balony

I'm in the backcountry hiking and riding my horse, a lot. I would say that at least 90% of all the 4x4/atv/boggers I come across in UNAUTHORIZED areas, are 40+ (making them old farts to me). These are the people encouraging new 'young' people to join clubs, or even get into the sport in the first place, and showing them the ropes and responsibilities as enthusiasts, making them poor role models at best as embassadors for this highly controversial sport.

Mark Turton (organizer of this Okanagan Backcountry Club Winter Campout), of all people should understand the importance of a provincial park. Make note, his gravel pit is BESIDE ONE!
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

When some people come across a buck with a full rack they sit quietely in awe of the beauty and strength of nature while others want put a bullet in it's head.

Mud bogging is much the same, one person sees wilderness and natures majesty perfect for a hike with a camera, others see just another shrub ready to be crushed or hill to be torn up.

Which do you think is more sustainable for the wilderness and will leave something for our grandkids?
Last edited by Poindexter on May 18th, 2011, 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
NotLikeYou
Board Meister

Post by NotLikeYou »

RichardWede wrote:
NotLikeYou wrote:I thought the penticton office only had hoyer and seites (sorry for name spelling) and one of them retired, and the new guy is just a young pup in training and is being transfered in 2-3 months, never talked to the lady tho,

If this new law is pushed through your going to see a lot of reprocussion from it IMO

You're talking about the Kelowna office. Greg Hoyer retired 3 years ago. The new guy in the Kelowna office is Terry Myroniuk, is and is far from being a "young pup."

Somehow, I'm getting the feeling you didn't speak with anyone...

OK bud, Sorry that becuase I said it was the penticton office means I didnt talk to anyone.
I also talked to seits and the "young pup" At the You catch fishing derby. He looked a lot younger then seits and hoyer did as i see them hunting and fishing lots. He had said he was learning some things here for 3 months and then headed off to another area. Maybe it was a different CO,
But im really proud of you that you know every CO for our area and everything there is to know about them,
LOL
emg
Fledgling

Post by emg »

I guess if you want to leave a stinky mudhole full of garbage surrounded by a barren wasteland with no vegetation and unattended fire pits full of glass bottles....
emg
Fledgling

Post by emg »

NotLikeYou wrote: I also talked to seits and the "young pup" At the You catch fishing derby. He looked a lot younger then seits and hoyer did as i see them hunting and fishing lots. He had said he was learning some things here for 3 months and then headed off to another area. Maybe it was a different CO,
But im really proud of you that you know every CO for our area and everything there is to know about them,
LOL

That would have been Greg Krugar. He has transferred.

It is actually Seitz, not Seits. Just for the future if you are looking for contact.
NotLikeYou
Board Meister

Post by NotLikeYou »

Poindexter wrote:When some people come across a buck with a full rack they sit quitely in awe of the beuaty and strength of nature while others want put a bullet in it's head.

Mud bogging is much the same, one person sees wilderness and natures majesty perfect for a hike with a camera, others see just another shrub ready to be crushed.

Which do you think is more sustainable for the wilderness and will leave somewhere for our grandkids?

How about you go an hug some more tree's and teach your grandkids what plants to eat becuase we dont wanna shoot poor wittle bambi..

Your comparison is terrible and doesn't even belong in here, Hunting is NOTHING like what you just described it to be, alot of us hunters like to kill to feed our families. Becuase unlike yourself, WE understand that meat doesnt just come from a cooler in a store.
IF you eat meat, You might as well be a hunter yourself. Becuase your helping kill animals as well. If back in the day someone desided to farm deer instead of cows, You would think cows a beautiful majestic creatures in the woods.

Did you ever even think about how much GOOD hunters do with managin wildlife. See our recent coyotee issue. you know what thats from? Warmer winters and not enough people kiling them.

People have been bogging for MANY MANY MANY YEARS. I have photos of mud bogging events from my father back out in the prairies in 1960's trucks when they were brand new in the mud. even some 1950's vehicles you would see in the bogs.

This isnt a new sport. and its not going to go away, Its population has increased SO much over the last few years with the NEWER sport rock crawling etc etc etc.

SO if people have been 4x4ing for years, and nothing really ever changed or had a huge serious impact, Why do you think its going to change all of a sudden?
NotLikeYou
Board Meister

Post by NotLikeYou »

emg wrote:I guess if you want to leave a stinky mudhole full of garbage surrounded by a barren wasteland with no vegetation and unattended fire pits full of glass bottles....

but there is only 1 big stinky mud whole that is actually as bad as what you say in that area, is 1 mud whole to much to ask for?

did you ever see that place befor it was a mud bogging event. wasnt much nicer.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

NotLikeYou wrote:
emg wrote:I guess if you want to leave a stinky mudhole full of garbage surrounded by a barren wasteland with no vegetation and unattended fire pits full of glass bottles....

but there is only 1 big stinky mud whole that is actually as bad as what you say in that area, is 1 mud whole to much to ask for?

did you ever see that place befor it was a mud bogging event. wasnt much nicer.

I'll disagree with that. I used to hunt ducks there in the 70s. It was a nice place before it got ripped to chit.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
emg
Fledgling

Post by emg »

NotLikeYou wrote: did you ever see that place befor it was a mud bogging event. wasnt much nicer.

You missed the part where I said I wasn't an old fart. Of course I haven't seen it before it was started to be utilized by motorized vehicle enthusiasts.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

emg wrote:
NotLikeYou wrote: I also talked to seits and the "young pup" At the You catch fishing derby. He looked a lot younger then seits and hoyer did as i see them hunting and fishing lots. He had said he was learning some things here for 3 months and then headed off to another area. Maybe it was a different CO,
LOL

That would have been Greg Krugar. He has transferred.

It is actually Seitz, not Seits. Just for the future if you are looking for contact.

No, Greg Kruger transferred to Invermere well before NLY would have spoken to him at this spring's family fishing event kickoff. The "young pup" you may be talking about is Tanner Beck, who is taking his practicum with Ed Seitz. Tanner will be learning from one of the best, for sure. Ed's a top notch guy and CO.

Yes, I do know every CO in Vernon, Kelowna, and Penticton, because I get involved in organizations that work with the COs on conservation initiatives. One of those initiatives will be helping to monitor where boggers gather to wreck riparian areas this weekend.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Return to “Central Okanagan”