Automatic Gratuity

OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Automatic Gratuity

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

bumblebuns wrote:The easiest solution, if you are unhappy with the automatic gratuity, move to the next table, or split up the group.

Or, just ask the manager to remove it. Just did one of these last week...but the auto grat charge did say 'voluntary'.
People we were sharing with (6 total) said they looked at the total, and were about to add their gratuity to the total which already included the auto-grat.
calcondy

Post by calcondy »

Here's the tipping problem that seems to be happening more and more.

At a given Restaurant - you are given the debit machine to pay your bill. On the machine - you have the option of "How much to tip?" You of course assume that the tip portion will go to the waiter. But hold on - Does it? I decieded to find out by asking the Waiter - Do you get the tips? Admittedly I'v only asked twice now - but the results were interesting. The first waiter I asked said "No" the Resturant keeps them all" and second one I asked said "She just get's a portion of it."

Doesn't sound fair to me.

My advice - from now on - before you enter a tip amount on the machine - ask the waiter if they actually get the tip? If they don't - I don't think you should be under any moral obligation to tip.

Fair is fair.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

calcondy wrote: I don't think you should be under any moral obligation to tip.

You are not under any obligation to tip anyway. You either do it or you don't.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I may pay by card but, always tip in cash.
Bring back the LIKE button.
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

calcondy wrote:Here's the tipping problem that seems to be happening more and more.

At a given Restaurant - you are given the debit machine to pay your bill. On the machine - you have the option of "How much to tip?" You of course assume that the tip portion will go to the waiter. But hold on - Does it? I decieded to find out by asking the Waiter - Do you get the tips? Admittedly I'v only asked twice now - but the results were interesting. The first waiter I asked said "No" the Resturant keeps them all" and second one I asked said "She just get's a portion of it."

My advice - from now on - before you enter a tip amount on the machine - ask the waiter if they actually get the tip? If they don't - I don't think you should be under any moral obligation to tip.

Fair is fair.

That's interesting...I always assumed the server/waiter received the tip. I'll will certainly ask from now on and will consider simply tipping with cash.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

calcondy wrote:I decieded to find out by asking the Waiter - Do you get the tips? Admittedly I'v only asked twice now - but the results were interesting. The first waiter I asked said "No" the Resturant keeps them all" and second one I asked said "She just get's a portion of it."

The first one kinda lied to you.

The restaurant does indeed keep the tips, but they split it between all staff involved in making the food including the back staff and cooks. The second one was telling the truth.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

RustyCrayon wrote:
calcondy wrote:Here's the tipping problem that seems to be happening more and more.

Fair is fair.

That's interesting...I always assumed the server/waiter received the tip. I'll will certainly ask from now on and will consider simply tipping with cash.

So you're hoping the waiter goes against restaurant policy and puts it into their pocket?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

OR, any gratuity that is gained through the use of the debit machine, will be taxed, split and shared and after the debit machine costs are deducted.
Bring back the LIKE button.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

alanjh595 wrote:I may pay by card but, always tip in cash.

same here,the better service i get the bigger the tip, crappy service = crappy tip
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

johnny24 wrote:
RustyCrayon wrote:

So you're hoping the waiter goes against restaurant policy and puts it into their pocket?

No. I did not say that.
I would rather the staff who provided the service and preparation for my meal receive the tip I give, as opposed to the tip amount going towards other things such as the fees for the machine, and/or disappearing/pocketed by the owners etc...
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

(to respect the rules, let's avoid naming establishments, and instead focus on the practice of adding a tip to a bill.)

a.k.a. to protect Castanet Media's business relationships with its current and potential advertisers. :(

#micdrop

Cheers,
Doug
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

alanjh595 wrote:OR, any gratuity that is gained through the use of the debit machine, will be taxed, split and shared and after the debit machine costs are deducted.

Depends on the restaurants policy. Some give the entire tip to the server, some pool it, some keep it.

My stance on tipping hasn't changed. If you don't dazzle me with exceptional service - no tippy for you.

Any place that adds automatic gratuity, I ask to have it removed. If they don't remove it - I don't visit again :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ those who keep the tips are the places I'd like to know who they are reason I would never visit them... ever.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Why should the servers get paid so much more than the cooks?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Central Okanagan”