Automatic Gratuity

Re: Automatic Gratuity

Postby OnTheRoadAgain » Jan 20th, 2012, 12:01 pm

OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby OnTheRoadAgain » Feb 22nd, 2012, 3:52 pm

bumblebuns wrote:The easiest solution, if you are unhappy with the automatic gratuity, move to the next table, or split up the group.

Or, just ask the manager to remove it. Just did one of these last week...but the auto grat charge did say 'voluntary'.
People we were sharing with (6 total) said they looked at the total, and were about to add their gratuity to the total which already included the auto-grat.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby calcondy » Jan 28th, 2018, 9:55 am

Here's the tipping problem that seems to be happening more and more.

At a given Restaurant - you are given the debit machine to pay your bill. On the machine - you have the option of "How much to tip?" You of course assume that the tip portion will go to the waiter. But hold on - Does it? I decieded to find out by asking the Waiter - Do you get the tips? Admittedly I'v only asked twice now - but the results were interesting. The first waiter I asked said "No" the Resturant keeps them all" and second one I asked said "She just get's a portion of it."

Doesn't sound fair to me.

My advice - from now on - before you enter a tip amount on the machine - ask the waiter if they actually get the tip? If they don't - I don't think you should be under any moral obligation to tip.

Fair is fair.
calcondy

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Bsuds » Jan 28th, 2018, 11:58 am

calcondy wrote: I don't think you should be under any moral obligation to tip.

You are not under any obligation to tip anyway. You either do it or you don't.
Nowadays it's almost rude to ask a question without Googling it first!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 9758 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jan 28th, 2018, 12:01 pm

I may pay by card but, always tip in cash.

2 people like this post.
alanjh595
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1523 posts

Postby RustyCrayon » Jan 28th, 2018, 1:09 pm

calcondy wrote:Here's the tipping problem that seems to be happening more and more.

At a given Restaurant - you are given the debit machine to pay your bill. On the machine - you have the option of "How much to tip?" You of course assume that the tip portion will go to the waiter. But hold on - Does it? I decieded to find out by asking the Waiter - Do you get the tips? Admittedly I'v only asked twice now - but the results were interesting. The first waiter I asked said "No" the Resturant keeps them all" and second one I asked said "She just get's a portion of it."

My advice - from now on - before you enter a tip amount on the machine - ask the waiter if they actually get the tip? If they don't - I don't think you should be under any moral obligation to tip.

Fair is fair.

That's interesting...I always assumed the server/waiter received the tip. I'll will certainly ask from now on and will consider simply tipping with cash.
RustyCrayon
Fledgling

Liked in: 216 posts

Postby Even Steven » Jan 28th, 2018, 1:55 pm

calcondy wrote:I decieded to find out by asking the Waiter - Do you get the tips? Admittedly I'v only asked twice now - but the results were interesting. The first waiter I asked said "No" the Resturant keeps them all" and second one I asked said "She just get's a portion of it."

The first one kinda lied to you.

The restaurant does indeed keep the tips, but they split it between all staff involved in making the food including the back staff and cooks. The second one was telling the truth.

2 people like this post.
Even Steven
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1692 posts

Postby johnny24 » Jan 28th, 2018, 1:58 pm

RustyCrayon wrote:
calcondy wrote:Here's the tipping problem that seems to be happening more and more.

Fair is fair.

That's interesting...I always assumed the server/waiter received the tip. I'll will certainly ask from now on and will consider simply tipping with cash.

So you're hoping the waiter goes against restaurant policy and puts it into their pocket?
johnny24
Fledgling

Liked in: 218 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jan 28th, 2018, 2:09 pm

OR, any gratuity that is gained through the use of the debit machine, will be taxed, split and shared and after the debit machine costs are deducted.

dirtybiker likes this post.
alanjh595
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1523 posts

Postby the truth » Jan 28th, 2018, 3:02 pm

alanjh595 wrote:I may pay by card but, always tip in cash.

same here,the better service i get the bigger the tip, crappy service = crappy tip
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4826 posts

Postby RustyCrayon » Jan 28th, 2018, 3:54 pm

johnny24 wrote:
RustyCrayon wrote:

So you're hoping the waiter goes against restaurant policy and puts it into their pocket?

No. I did not say that.
I would rather the staff who provided the service and preparation for my meal receive the tip I give, as opposed to the tip amount going towards other things such as the fees for the machine, and/or disappearing/pocketed by the owners etc...

Anonymous123 likes this post.
RustyCrayon
Fledgling

Liked in: 216 posts

Postby forumdoug » Jan 28th, 2018, 6:30 pm

(to respect the rules, let's avoid naming establishments, and instead focus on the practice of adding a tip to a bill.)

a.k.a. to protect Castanet Media's business relationships with its current and potential advertisers. :(

#micdrop

Cheers,
Doug

RVThereYet likes this post.
forumdoug
Übergod

Liked in: 94 posts

Postby Dizzy1 » Jan 28th, 2018, 7:42 pm

alanjh595 wrote:OR, any gratuity that is gained through the use of the debit machine, will be taxed, split and shared and after the debit machine costs are deducted.

Depends on the restaurants policy. Some give the entire tip to the server, some pool it, some keep it.

My stance on tipping hasn't changed. If you don't dazzle me with exceptional service - no tippy for you.

Any place that adds automatic gratuity, I ask to have it removed. If they don't remove it - I don't visit again :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5032 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 28th, 2018, 8:05 pm

^^^ those who keep the tips are the places I'd like to know who they are reason I would never visit them... ever.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6387 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Glacier » Jan 28th, 2018, 9:08 pm

Why should the servers get paid so much more than the cooks?

RVThereYet likes this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 8347 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan