West Kelowna overpass, retaining wall has collapsed.

jumpshot

Re: West Kelowna overpass, retaining wall has collapsed.

Post by jumpshot »

Last edited by jumpshot on Apr 28th, 2018, 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ductdoctor

Post by ductdoctor »

jumpshot wrote:Can anyone tell me if Nancee Way is now open for use for those of us that need to loop around using Horizon to get to Kelowna? I hate to go all the way to Westside Rd. to find out, and then have to turn around and do the trip through West Kelowna Estates.

I don't understand the diversion. It seems that if you want to go down Westside Rd when heading north on 97 you are told to use exit ramp which obviously goes up to the new roundabout by the First Nations building. But you cannot use the overpass so the only way to go is around to the flaggers and then across to Nancee Way. Why then is it ok for northbound traffic to access Westside road that way but anyone coming from Westside road to 97 has to divert via Horizon. It doesn't affect me but was just wondering how and why.
blueberry
Fledgling

Post by blueberry »

Nancee Way is open to people travelling from Westside Road to the highway. The flaggers that were directing traffic up through Rose Valley were gone this morning.
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

Lets all call it the WFN's over pass. Why. Cause as it turns out the main purpose of that interchange is for the developement of WFN lands. As seen, malls, developments etc. Taxes paid for it, natives built it and now develope the land with malls and housing which would not have been allowed with out the interchange.
It is clear now that we see. In normal business the developer should have to contribute free the land needed in exchange for the building of the interchange. I live in west kelowna and can see clearly the benefits of this interchange is probably 90% related to the developement of their land for profit use.
blueberry
Fledgling

Post by blueberry »

zoo wrote:Lets all call it the WFN's over pass. Why. Cause as it turns out the main purpose of that interchange is for the developement of WFN lands. As seen, malls, developments etc. Taxes paid for it, natives built it and now develope the land with malls and housing which would not have been allowed with out the interchange.
It is clear now that we see. In normal business the developer should have to contribute free the land needed in exchange for the building of the interchange. I live in west kelowna and can see clearly the benefits of this interchange is probably 90% related to the developement of their land for profit use.

I thought the main reason for the interchange was to get rid of the lights at Westside Road.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

blueberry wrote:I thought the main reason for the interchange was to get rid of the lights at Westside Road.

But how are we able to make things up and complain about that? :coffeecanuck:
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

I thought the main reason for the interchange was to get rid of the lights at Westside Road.[/quote]

So they tell us, but look whats going on. None of that development on either side could happen without an interchange. Just by chance it all happened so fast? i doubt it. It takes years to plan those developments. Its like it was all arranged. Neither was needed without the very high traffic flow coming and going from those new developments.
What Im getting at though is years ago my grandpa had frontage on hwy 1 in chilliwack. He had to give the land to the goverment in order for the allowing of his development. So Why not the same with WFN? Why the exchange of land for something they will make million off of???
blueberry
Fledgling

Post by blueberry »

zoo wrote:I thought the main reason for the interchange was to get rid of the lights at Westside Road.

So they tell us, but look whats going on. None of that development on either side could happen without an interchange. Just by chance it all happened so fast? i doubt it. It takes years to plan those developments. Its like it was all arranged. Neither was needed without the very high traffic flow coming and going from those new developments.
What Im getting at though is years ago my grandpa had frontage on hwy 1 in chilliwack. He had to give the land to the goverment in order for the allowing of his development. So Why not the same with WFN? Why the exchange of land for something they will make million off of???[/quote]

Because WFN is the government just like one that your grandpa had to give his land to and, just like every government does they make transportation plans based on projections for the use of the land.

It doesnt surprise me that WFN has a shopping center there and that it seems like it happened so quickly. WFN would have known what the plan for the interchange was well before construction started and before you or I knew anything about it. Who knows how long either project has been in the works, or what WFN has planned for the rest of the area?
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

So if WFN dragged there feet like DWK that would make you feel better about the whole thing?
Last edited by dirtguy on Apr 10th, 2012, 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

Or maybe they could just build the mall slower to appease the haters.
kay-c
Board Meister

Post by kay-c »

:hailjo: :coffeecanuck:
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

dirtguy wrote:So if WFN dragged there feet like DWK that would make you feel better about the whole thing?

Actually the discussion is about the fact that "Why are the rules different in this case". Why an exchange for land when there is an obvious relation between the development of these projects as well as the drastic addition of traffic flow foreseen because of the developments.
Dont kid yourself. That interchange was built totally with these developments in mind. In the cause of my grandfathers development in the frazer valley the agreement was judged as a donation of land in exchange for development.
Here we built this interchange to handle specifically the increase in traffic flow.
Oh, ya, and to eliminate the light, what ever...........
Ari Gold
Board Meister

Post by Ari Gold »

It's been 6.5 months and still no explanation on what happened.

...Theis is a project where the retaining walls on a 3 week old project collapsed and could have killed any number of people. Several months to fix and still nobody from the MOT, Westbank First Nation, or the contractor has given the public any sort of an explanation.

Are they hoping that we would all forget about this failure?
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Forget about what failure ? :dyinglaughing:
Black Dogs Matter
Bananaz
Übergod

Post by Bananaz »

Just thinking outloud here but the overpass has been done for a while now. Traffic is back in a groove but is it just me or is anyone else thinking the same thing? Why haven't they cleaned up the pylons? Why does it still look like they are the midst of construction? The speed limit is still 60km as per a construction zone. Well I haven't seen any sort of construction in months.....Not only that but it looks ghetto. If the work is done, finish it up. How much do you want to bet too, that the DWK is paying a rental fee or something on those pylons that we no longer need. Anyways that's my rant for the day, I just wish they would complete it once and for all and clean up the mess. If you are not done working then get your butts in gear and finish it up, what is the hold up? What are they waiting for? Lame.
Cherish yesterday
Dream tomorrow
Live today

Return to “Central Okanagan”