West Kelowna overpass, retaining wall has collapsed.

butcher99
Guru

Re: West Kelowna overpass has collapsed

Post by butcher99 »

dbouliane wrote:Probably frost heaves, since this is the first cold snap below -10 that the overpass had to endure...
Drainage must not have been designed properly.

Does it not require something to drain for drainage to be a problem?
dbouliane

Post by dbouliane »

butcher99 wrote:
dbouliane wrote:Probably frost heaves, since this is the first cold snap below -10 that the overpass had to endure...
Drainage must not have been designed properly.

Does it not require something to drain for drainage to be a problem?

Yeah, all the melted snow from the past two weeks.
markofthedark75

Post by markofthedark75 »

This overpass has only been open for 20 days and is supposed to be traded to the Provence for some rediculess deal by wfn this is showing the quality of work that is being rushed and cramed onto the public this is not acceptable this could have been worst someone could have died we should expect the same quality of work has been rushed all through the project better fix it and make the deal quick before something else falls off :skyisfalling:
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Ahhhh knee-jerk thought was the bridge collapsed, but looking at the pictures and the story has been updated, it is the retaining wall that gave way below the bridge. Not the bridge itself...
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
markofthedark75

Post by markofthedark75 »

But what's next and doesn't this retaining wall provide support for the rest and didn't it fall on to traffic lanes good thing it wasn't 7:30 Monday morning or there would have been a lot more vehicles
watchd0g

Post by watchd0g »

:dyinglaughing: ....just last week I asked someone how long it would take for this to happen...it sucks for traffic, including myself, but it is appropoe....wonder what the WelFare Nation will have to say about this, gotta be someone elses fault eh? This was their project and responsibility....let's not make the same mistake again.
Last edited by watchd0g on Nov 20th, 2011, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
caffeine
Übergod

Post by caffeine »

Yes, it looks as thought the "overpass collapse" headline is a bit misleading. Still not good however, and makes me question the integrity of the other retaining walls that have been built around the overpass and the rest of the project. Including the very large retaining wall along the Kelowna-bound on-ramp that someone else mentioned - if that ware to give way with cars on the on-ramp there would be very serious consequences.
Last edited by caffeine on Nov 20th, 2011, 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

watchkat wrote:I have long been curious how they place those bricks without apparent tiebacks or mortar. Am I missing something? I know usually the huge concrete retaining blocks not only interlock, but have t shaped tie backs molded into some of them which are buried to stop shifting. These smaller bricks don't appear to have anything like that for added support.

I too wondered how those vertical concrete retaining/support panels were tied into the high side of the ramp wedge. It looked like they just stacked them up and hoped they'd somehow stay standing, with all that vertical weight and horizontal fill against them. So now what about the other side! it is constructed the same way and has now likely shifted as well!
How about the new floating bridge? Is it safe???
What an embarrassing disaster! Good thing nobody was killed. Now several more more months of major traffic snarls on the only west access to Kelowna ...
:purefury:
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

GoStumpy wrote:Ahhhh knee-jerk thought was the bridge collapsed, but looking at the pictures and the story has been updated, it is the retaining wall that gave way below the bridge. Not the bridge itself...

Yeah I've come to accept that the headlines tend to be a tad dramatic, and generally wait until more information is forth coming before I allow shock to set in. :)
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
watchd0g

Post by watchd0g »

caffeine wrote:...me question the integrity of the other retaining walls that have been built around the overpass and the rest of the project. Including the very large retaining wall along the southbound on-ramp that someone else mentioned - if that ware to give way with cars on the on-ramp there would be very serious consequences.

All activity on that property should be shut down pending engineering assessment.
caffeine
Übergod

Post by caffeine »

I see they have now changed the banner/headline to say that the retaining wall has collapsed (where it used to say the overpass has collapsed). More accurate description/headline now.
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

Asinine headline.
Exactly what part of the overpass collapsed?
Castanet showing it's clown face again.
"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves"
Edward R Murrow
Now a proud member of the NRA & Canadian Sport Shooting Association.
Sic Semper Tyrannis
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

caffeine wrote:I see they have now changed the banner/headline to say that the retaining wall has collapsed (where it used to say the overpass has collapsed). More accurate description/headline now.

The retaining wall was what the west end of the deck partially sat on!
Last edited by nepal on Nov 20th, 2011, 11:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
rlaboss

Post by rlaboss »

That whole project has looked bush league from the get go. The re-routing, poor lighting and signage...has not
looked - forget looked - it hasn't been done professionally from day one. It's a mess. The engineering is abysmal. Heads should roll on this. This should not have happened.
Snarf
Übergod

Post by Snarf »

And who will pay for this mess now?

Return to “Central Okanagan”