Saying thanks to good police officers

damama55
Übergod

Saying thanks to good police officers

Post by damama55 »

I think it is time to give more recognition to the good done by Police Officers, male and female. It is a stressful job, and often times, they see people at their worst. I for one, am willing to start giving them a pat on the back and telling them,
"Thank you. Without you, we would live in a much different environment. Thank you, for putting your life on the line, sooo many times. Thank you for continuing to do your best, when sometimes it seems your best in not appreciated. Thank you for trying to keep us safe. I am sorry you are painted with the same brush, and it isn't fair."
I am going to give you one example. I hope others will give good examples and help bring up the spirits of officers that are feeling unappreciated. Just a thought that I hope will encourage them.
I was waiting for a bus one evening, and went into the warmth of the shelter. There were a couple of police cars around and probably 4-6 officers. I wasn't sure what was going on, but then heard the officers ask this young man if he was okay, as he was slouching on the bench. They asked him a few times, and he mumbled something. The officers realized he was pretty intoxicated, so they asked where he lived. I believe he told them, or showed them his ID. He was not being rude or belligerent, and, for the state he was in, was trying to be very respectful. The officers were kind enough to offer him a ride home, which he staggeringly accepted. They put him in one of the cars, and then took him home.
I was very impressed with all involved, and wished the officers a great evening, hoping all their calls were that easy.
How about you?? Please, tell us about a good experience you have had or witnessed with our officers.
Hopefully, we can start a snowball effect, where the more it rolls, the bigger it gets, and lets our good officers know,
"We do appreciate what you do, and we know you all face more and see more than any of us could even imagine. Thank you for being there to help protect us."
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
Poindexter
Guru

Re: Saying Thanks to the Good Police Officers

Post by Poindexter »

*off topic removed*/ferri
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

There's plenty of other bash the RCMP threads, can we keep this one to just positive stories?
dg3
Board Meister

Post by dg3 »

Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

goatboy wrote:There's plenty of other bash the RCMP threads, can we keep this one to just positive stories?

You're right, let's hear your positive story.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

Thank you, goatboy and poindexter. Yes, this is what this post is all about--good stories to bring up the moral of the officers. Thanks, again, for your support.
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

damama55 wrote:Thank you, goatboy and poindexter. Yes, this is what this post is all about--good stories to bring up the moral of the officers. Thanks, again, for your support.

Like these guys, they took 16 lbs. of dangerous drugs off the streets of Lake Country ... Good police work!

http://www.castanet.net/news/North-Okan ... ounded-pot
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

They say you can't believe everything they say.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

There are many great RCMP officers out there, I've never needed their service, but I have talked to many on a casual basis and they're more than willing to help people even if its just asking for directions or joke around a bit. :)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

RVThereYet wrote:
damama55 wrote:Thank you, goatboy and poindexter. Yes, this is what this post is all about--good stories to bring up the moral of the officers. Thanks, again, for your support.

Like these guys, they took 16 lbs. of dangerous drugs off the streets of Lake Country ... Good police work!

Couldn't imagine the bustling metropolous of Lake Country all whacked out on 16 pounds of drugs....

All ion the same day that is. Can't handle the thought of the carnage...All that laughing and eating . Tragic I say.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

zzontar wrote:
RVThereYet wrote:

Dangerous? Ah, sarcasm!

Let's remember the cops don't set the laws. There are many studies to show that this type of enforcement is causing bigger issues and costing money. Something we should be talking to our elected officials and lawmakers about, not holding police responsible for.
DerKaiser
Board Meister

Post by DerKaiser »

damama55 wrote:...There were a couple of police cars around and probably 4-6 officers. I wasn't sure what was going on, but then heard the officers ask this young man if he was okay, as he was slouching on the bench...
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

I have a recent story that involves the Edmonton Police Service. This was told to me by a friend who was involved in this situation and I believe it to be true and accurate. This just happened a few weeks ago.

The police were dispatched to a house of an elderly lady who over the past couple years has been slipping into depression and stopped taking care of herself. One of her relatives called because they had not heard from her for a while and they were worried.

The police found the woman was physically okay but in a state of deep depression. Her house on the other hand was extremely messy and dirty (rotting food and garbage strewn about, broken plumbing, etc.). She had stopped cleaning for some long period of time and was bordering on hoarding (not sure when one is clinically a "hoarder").

The cops who attended could have left it at that, their job was technically done. However in talking with the woman, to get a better sense of her state of mind and overall health, the officer learned that she felt trapped in this growing mess with no way out. i.e. she didn't know where to even start and it was feeding the depression.

The officer brought this back to his boss and they arranged to have the other cops on his shift return on their next days off to help clean. He went on to engage social services and the ladies church group. In one day of hard (and disgusting) work they cleaned her house top to bottom, fixed the plumbing, replaced her broken fridge with a new one (donated by one of the church members) and had social services engaged to help her move forward.

These are cops in one of the most dangerous cities in Canada, who every day are spit at (metaphorically and physically) and who attend the most horrific situations that would make you and I puke.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

Thank you for sharing that awesome story of how officers go above and beyond their call of duty. I find when one gives, it not only helps the one we are giving to, but, it also helps ourselves. I hope her family and friends kept in better touch with her and kept her spirits up. The officers did a great service to her.

Return to “Central Okanagan”