Drunk sends young girl to hospital

JohnnyJolt

Drunk sends young girl to hospital

Post by JohnnyJolt »

When are we as a society going to wake up. On Friday night a young man decided to drive drunk and use his car as a weapon. He was traveling well over 100 km/hr and hit the young girl head on.

He broke both her legs.

He broke both her ankles.

He broke her foot.

He caused internal injuries.

He caused multipal face lacerations.

He broke her cheek bone.

Not to mention the ongoing emotional troma for her and her family.

It's time that we stand up against these criminals and demand stronger penalties. Did I mention this was not this guys first drunk driving offense.

This guy should never drive again. This guy needs to be treated like the criminal he is.

I challenge you to speake up and demand that our criminal system be given the teeth to deal with these criminal. So what if we have the strongest rules in Canada. They didn't stop this guy. We need to have the charter challenge abolished and have our laws increased to effectively punish criminals like this guy, who has probably already been driving drunk while this young girl lives with a life full of pain. Who is protecting her rights.

Speak up and lets get ride of guys like this.
Fleshfailures
Board Meister

Re: Drunk sends young girl to hospital

Post by Fleshfailures »

I agree, this accident was terrible and the driver should be severely punished.I feel terrible for this young lady and her family. Her life is never going to be the same because some idiot decided that it was ok for him to get behind the wheel after drinking. The fact that this wasn't his first time drinking and driving is ridiculous. I hope he never has the privilege of driving again.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Problem with fighting the drunks and criminals, is when you try to give the police more power to solve the problems... people whine about civil rights, privacy and power hungry pigs.

People are so concerned with their traffic tickets, they forget that innocent people actually die every day from careless drivers.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

I am not challenging you but how does one go about changing the laws, make a stink up in Ottawa to get things changed? I would be right by your side too.
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
lucky2beme
Fledgling

Post by lucky2beme »

Fleshfailures wrote:I agree, this accident was terrible and the driver should be severely punished.I feel terrible for this young lady and her family. Her life is never going to be the same because some idiot decided that it was ok for him to get behind the wheel after drinking. The fact that this wasn't his first time drinking and driving is ridiculous. I hope he never has the privilege of driving again.

Sad fact of life is even if he never has the privilege of driving again..............he will against the law! I know someone who has AT LEAST 4 DUI's and he still gets behind a wheel and drives without a license, and probably without insurance. The law needs to be changed and put these idiots behind bars, make it mandatory for them to dry up, receive treatment and maybe, just maybe they can be released and become reasonably productive, law abiding citizens in the future.
lavender_dragonfly

Post by lavender_dragonfly »

That beautiful girl he hit was one of my best friends daughter, Riley. What a selfish, piece of #$%^ !! Now, a vibrant, wonderful, bright girl is laying in a hospital bed, fighting to get well. It brings tears to my eyes. This moment will change my life and I hope others as well. Drinking and driving is NOT acceptable people!! I hope Karma (or someone) bites him in the *bleep*!! Disgusting human- well, if thats what you call him :(.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

spoiled1 wrote:
Fleshfailures wrote:I agree, this accident was terrible and the driver should be severely punished.I feel terrible for this young lady and her family. Her life is never going to be the same because some idiot decided that it was ok for him to get behind the wheel after drinking. The fact that this wasn't his first time drinking and driving is ridiculous. I hope he never has the privilege of driving again.

Sad fact of life is even if he never has the privilege of driving again..............he will against the law! I know someone who has AT LEAST 4 DUI's and he still gets behind a wheel and drives without a license, and probably without insurance. The law needs to be changed and put these idiots behind bars, make it mandatory for them to dry up, receive treatment and maybe, just maybe they can be released and become reasonably productive, law abiding citizens in the future.

You should be calling the police every time you see this happen.
thinker

Post by thinker »

Kelowna RCMP arrested a 25 year old ALBERTA man Friday night after he drove through a fence, took off speeding, then hit another vehicle head on, sending its driver to hospital.

Im almost a %99.9 sure that because hes from alberta, when he goes to court here, if he even shows up. the drivers licence he holds will not be taken away. alberta cannot cancel a bc drivers licence much like bc cannot cancel a alberta drivers licence. His right to hold a bc drivers licence will be taken for sure, but chances are he will face a fine, possible jail time, depending on his record. And a restitution payment and victim surcharge.

Still a all around bad deal for the girl and her family.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

thinker wrote:Kelowna RCMP arrested a 25 year old ALBERTA man Friday night after he drove through a fence, took off speeding, then hit another vehicle head on, sending its driver to hospital.

Im almost a %99.9 sure that because hes from alberta, when he goes to court here, if he even shows up. the drivers licence he holds will not be taken away. alberta cannot cancel a bc drivers licence much like bc cannot cancel a alberta drivers licence. His right to hold a bc drivers licence will be taken for sure, but chances are he will face a fine, possible jail time, depending on his record. And a restitution payment and victim surcharge.

Maybe he won't bring his actual DL with him to court to hand in, but if he is found guilty of impaired driving, the prohibition that he gets from the judge (Probably looking at a 3-5 year prohibition after whatever jail time) will be Canada-wide.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
thinker

Post by thinker »

[quote="KL3-Something"][quote="thinker"]Kelowna RCMP arrested a 25 year old ALBERTA man Friday night after he drove through a fence, took off speeding, then hit another vehicle head on, sending its driver to hospital.

Still a all around bad deal for the girl and her family.[/quote]

Maybe he won't bring his actual DL with him to court to hand in, but if he is found guilty of impaired driving, the prohibition that he gets from the judge (Probably looking at a 3-5 year prohibition after whatever jail time) will be Canada-wide.[/quote]

I dont agree. When I was 18, I was dumb enough to drink and drive, I got a 1 year prohibition, $1000 fine and $200 vitcim surcharge. not only did i have a ablberta drivers licence, when i came to bc icbc gave me a drivers licence. alberta told me i would not be allowed to obtain a drivers licence, unless I did the planning ahead course and I didnt have to do it if i waited 10 years. loop hole? this was 2005
thinker

Post by thinker »

also on that note, I never did any jail time, I was in the drunk tank over night. got out after breakfast in the morning, went and got my car...went to court and that was it.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

thinker wrote:
KL3-Something wrote:
thinker wrote:Kelowna RCMP arrested a 25 year old ALBERTA man Friday night after he drove through a fence, took off speeding, then hit another vehicle head on, sending its driver to hospital.

Maybe he won't bring his actual DL with him to court to hand in, but if he is found guilty of impaired driving, the prohibition that he gets from the judge (Probably looking at a 3-5 year prohibition after whatever jail time) will be Canada-wide.

I dont agree. When I was 18, I was dumb enough to drink and drive, I got a 1 year prohibition, $1000 fine and $200 vitcim surcharge. not only did i have a ablberta drivers licence, when i came to bc icbc gave me a drivers licence. alberta told me i would not be allowed to obtain a drivers licence, unless I did the planning ahead course and I didnt have to do it if i waited 10 years. loop hole? this was 2005

Yes. I don't doubt that you did. Was this in Alberta or BC? Were you charged with impaired driving causing bodily harm and dangerous operation of the motor vehicle causing bodily harm? Or was yours a plain old impaired charge? Plain old impaired charges are a 1-year driving prohib and a fine. A few years ago someone could be found guilty of impaired driving in Alberta and be given a 1-year prohib (the minimum under the Criminal Code) but after 3 months be allowed to drive with an ignition interloc device in their car. Alberta has since changed their licensing policy and now if someone is prohibited in another jurisdiction in Canada they cannot get a driver's licence. If they use a loop-hole and lie (like in the document they swear to saying they are not prohibited in any other jurisdiction) and get one issued to them in Alberta they are charged with fraud.

Also, Impaired driving causing bodily harm and dangerous operation causing bodily harm has different, much higher standards for sentencing than what you were likely subjected to.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
thinker

Post by thinker »

[quote="KL3-Something"][quote="thinker"][quote="KL3-Something"][quote="thinker"]Kelowna RCMP arrested a 25 year old ALBERTA man Friday night after he drove through a fence, took off speeding, then hit another vehicle head on, sending its driver to hospital.

Still a all around bad deal for the girl and her family.[/quote]

Maybe he won't bring his actual DL with him to court to hand in, but if he is found guilty of impaired driving, the prohibition that he gets from the judge (Probably looking at a 3-5 year prohibition after whatever jail time) will be Canada-wide.[/quote]

I dont agree. When I was 18, I was dumb enough to drink and drive, I got a 1 year prohibition, $1000 fine and $200 vitcim surcharge. not only did i have a ablberta drivers licence, when i came to bc icbc gave me a drivers licence. alberta told me i would not be allowed to obtain a drivers licence, unless I did the planning ahead course and I didnt have to do it if i waited 10 years. loop hole? this was 2005[/quote]

Yes. I don't doubt that you did. Was this in Alberta or BC? Were you charged with impaired driving causing bodily harm and dangerous operation of the motor vehicle causing bodily harm? Or was yours a plain old impaired charge? Plain old impaired charges are a 1-year driving prohib and a fine. A few years ago someone could be found guilty of impaired driving in Alberta and be given a 1-year prohib (the minimum under the Criminal Code) but after 3 months be allowed to drive with an ignition interloc device in their car. Alberta has since changed their licensing policy and now if someone is prohibited in another jurisdiction in Canada they cannot get a driver's licence. If they use a loop-hole and lie (like in the document they swear to saying they are not prohibited in any other jurisdiction) and get one issued to them in Alberta they are charged with fraud.

Also, Impaired driving causing bodily harm and dangerous operation causing bodily harm has different, much higher standards for sentencing than what you were likely subjected to.[/quote]

This was in alberta, and just a plain dui. I also did not have an interloc system and was never ordered by the judge to do so, also I hope your not calling me a liar, cuase thats not the case, I did state that I was suspended in another jurisdiction (alberta) and they (icbc) told me I had to contact the alberta registries and ask if I had to do an impaird drivers course, this is where alberta said yes If I was staying in the province, and no if i was leaving the province, and if i came back witin 10 years then i would have to do the planning ahead course.
Last edited by thinker on Jan 16th, 2012, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thinker

Post by thinker »

KL3 if he didnt show, in your opinion would they put out a canada wide warrant, or provincial. and you never know givin his situation, he may not be able to make it to court here, or he may opt to have his charges waived to alberta, and have to face a stiffer penalty. or not show and a warrant obviously goes out for his arrest, either way hes toast!
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

thinker wrote:KL3 if he didnt show, in your opinion would they put out a canada wide warrant, or provincial. and you never know givin his situation, he may not be able to make it to court here, or he may opt to have his charges waived to alberta, and have to face a stiffer penalty. or not show and a warrant obviously goes out for his arrest, either way hes toast!

I have no doubt you are telling the truth about your experience. That is how it was. But things have changed. And they are going to change more with the upcoming Interprovincial Driver's Licence Agreement. The agreement isn't in place now but it will be by the time this joker is sentenced.

If he fails to appear the warrant will be BC wide but the entry will note to contact BC about extending it if he is caught in Alberta. Chances are once he is found they will extend the warrant to Alberta and bring him back. Let's just hope he's man enough now that he's sobered up to want to face what he's done like a man and not a coward. Not saying he can't take it to trial to see the case the Crown has. But to run away from it back to Alberta would be despicable.

Return to “Central Okanagan”