Drunk sends young girl to hospital

ukcanuck
Fledgling

Re: Drunk sends young girl to hospital

Post by ukcanuck »

Roadster wrote:Good points made there Fancy,,, some think it was magic,,, some see its no different then it was and it likely never will be much better as far as the young goes. People grow up with mistakes to be made. The target is to make DUI a non existant thing and I think it has to start with licencing. Take a licence away for a good while for a first offence, fines and then take it away forever when its proven the driver didnt learn the first time, even if he didnt hurt anyone yet, this privialige thing has to be just that, abuse it and you dont have it anymore and thats not just for young drivers. Thats for everyone. Maybe when young drivers find they have to drive their mommies and daddies around all the time they will have a reason to respect the road. After all kids do learn by their parent's mistakes,,, a good punishment someone else is dealing with is a good reminder of what priviliage means.

I don't where you learned your manners but turning something into a joke even a sarcastic one is better than pointing how absolutely moronic one is.
some of the ideas for taking drunks off the road are to be kind really stupid.

Think about attempted murder charges for anyone who gets in a car over the limit... there isn't enough time in the day to point out how ridiculous that is. but let's begin with simple idea that you need a target to attempt to murder...

Making people who've been convicted of drunk driving to have a D on their car is another ridiculous idea, lol the person is supposed to banned from driving in the first place how is a magnetic letter supposed to help?
once the offender has paid his or her debt then you want them to wear this badge of dishonour? How the hell is that even close to the ideals we hold dear in this country?
Tell you what why don't you make a sign that says "I'm a drunk driver" and put it on your car for a week and see how long it will take before someone drags you out of the car and lays a beat down on you....

Take away a licence forever for second offence? How is that going to help because you just forced that person to break the law forever, he's not going to be able to get to work in three quarters of the country because public transit is basically non existent.
That's his problem your going to say, but tell me how would you eat if you couldn't earn money legally? That's right, you would resort to crime and when that guy breaks into your house or sells crack to your kids whose problem will it be then?

To be polite, these are just bad ideas and they betray a level of hypocrisy that just rubs the wrong way.

You and others here can only seem to imagine the hooligan or "knucklehead" in the equation but the trouble is your ideas are like Tuna nets, you catch much more than intended.
Alcohol and drug use for many many people is a symptom of disease and horrible circumstances in their lives and even though that have committed crimes they also deserve mercy and are in need of healing. Throwing them in jail and throwing away the key or branding them for their crimes or not providing a way back to respectability and a chance at a normal and happy life is plain cruel.

The guy that has put this girl in hospital, he's not learned his lesson... yes, and in this case perhaps a more severe message needs to be sent.

But let's not get carried away with the lynch mob, it might be you or someone you love who gets hung - just like it might be you or someone you love who dies on the road from a drunk driver...life is just not that simple....
Last edited by ukcanuck on Nov 16th, 2012, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ukcanuck
Fledgling

Post by ukcanuck »

Verminator wrote:
Roadster wrote:Good points made there Fancy,,, some think it was magic,,, some see its no different then it was and it likely never will be much better as far as the young goes. People grow up with mistakes to be made. The target is to make DUI a non existant thing and I think it has to start with licencing. Take a licence away for a good while for a first offence, fines and then take it away forever when its proven the driver didnt learn the first time, even if he didnt hurt anyone yet, this privialige thing has to be just that, abuse it and you dont have it anymore and thats not just for young drivers. Thats for everyone. Maybe when young drivers find they have to drive their mommies and daddies around all the time they will have a reason to respect the road. After all kids do learn by their parent's mistakes,,, a good punishment someone else is dealing with is a good reminder of what priviliage means.

I'd take it a few steps further if it were up to me. Driving prohibitions alone don't work very well, it's easy to drive without a licence and that's often exactly what these people do. Take away their cars and it's a different story, and I don't mean just impounding them for a week or two. Confiscate them, auction them off and impose massive fines, say one-third of the perp's yearly income. Do that on a first offence and I can almost guarantee people will get the message.

Roadster you want me to be nice???
Tell me verminator? How are you going to confiscate any part of zero when you've just removed the offenders ability to get to work?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

If a vehicle is impounded for a week, how do they get to work then? Walk, ask a relative, take a bus - sure it's inconvenient but that's all it is - inconvenient.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

ukcanuck wrote:
I'd take it a few steps further if it were up to me. Driving prohibitions alone don't work very well, it's easy to drive without a licence and that's often exactly what these people do. Take away their cars and it's a different story, and I don't mean just impounding them for a week or two. Confiscate them, auction them off and impose massive fines, say one-third of the perp's yearly income. Do that on a first offence and I can almost guarantee people will get the message.

Tell me verminator? How are you going to confiscate any part of zero when you've just removed the offenders ability to get to work?[/quote]

Public transit will have to get him to work. Or he could walk even if his work is far away. Sucks to be him but he made the choice and this is the result of that choice.
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
ukcanuck
Fledgling

Post by ukcanuck »

Libelle wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:

Tell me verminator? How are you going to confiscate any part of zero when you've just removed the offenders ability to get to work?

Public transit will have to get him to work. Or he could walk even if his work is far away. Sucks to be him but he made the choice and this is the result of that choice.

lol read it again, in regard to confiscating the guys wages as a punishment, there will be no wages to confiscate because the guy won't have a job in many parts of the country because there is no transit.

It's not a question of not having any sympathy it's a question of being pragmatic :)
Last edited by ukcanuck on Nov 16th, 2012, 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Guess he goes on welfare then
ukcanuck
Fledgling

Post by ukcanuck »

Fancy wrote:Guess he goes on welfare then

Well then it would make the idea of confiscating his wages rather pointless wouldn't it?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Only in that particular case. There would be others not in that same predicament.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

Fancy wrote:Guess he goes on welfare then

So he will just say well if I can not drive to work then I won't work. Is he 5? The argument that he needs his car to get to work is weak at best. He got behind the wheel of his car drunk a choice he made, so he should suffer the consequences of his actions. If it was your child he mowed over you would not want him driving so he can do it again, I know I wouldn't.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Who does not remember Alexa Middelaer?
Carol Berner was convicted of impaired driving causing death, impaired driving causing bodily harm, dangerous driving causing death and dangerous driving causing bodily harm. She was sentenced to 30 months in jail but is currently out on bail pending the appeal of her conviction.

http://www.delta-optimist.com/Lawsuit+a ... story.html
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

Fancy wrote:Who does not remember Alexa Middelaer?
Carol Berner was convicted of impaired driving causing death, impaired driving causing bodily harm, dangerous driving causing death and dangerous driving causing bodily harm. She was sentenced to 30 months in jail but is currently out on bail pending the appeal of her conviction.

I sure do. That woman is a drunk and if given the chance to drive drunk she would take full advantage of it. This woman is a waste of skin. Karma would be a drunk hitting her causing her demise.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

What concerns me is this issue is still before the courts from what I can tell. Where is the justice?
ukcanuck
Fledgling

Post by ukcanuck »

Libelle wrote:
Fancy wrote:Who does not remember Alexa Middelaer?

I sure do. That woman is a drunk and if given the chance to drive drunk she would take full advantage of it. This woman is a waste of skin. Karma would be a drunk hitting her causing her demise.

Waste of skin? Who are you to make that claim? You have no idea who she is to make that judgement and you have no right to deny that the woman her day in court. You don't even know if she was actually drunk at all.
Nothing has been decided until her appeal is concluded.

All you know is hearsay and rumours and you want me to trust that you have a clue?
Last edited by ukcanuck on Nov 16th, 2012, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

She admitted having 3 glasses of wine and was speeding. This case has dragged on for 4 years.
ukcanuck
Fledgling

Post by ukcanuck »

Fancy wrote:She admitted having 3 glasses of wine and was speeding. This case has dragged on for 4 years.

What, she admitted it to you or you hear she admitted that and you know that three glasses of wine puts her over .05 .08?

As
For four years...
justice takes as long as it takes...it's not there to suit your sensibilities.

Return to “Central Okanagan”