Alberta workers

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
SLX2007
Fledgling

Re: Alberta workers

Post by SLX2007 »

mck wrote:I am curious as to how the oil sands product is turned into gas for our vehicles. is the semi raw product sent elsewhere for refining ?

Good summary here:

http://www.suncor.com/en/about/272.aspx
Okanagan & the oil patch
mck

Post by mck »

mck wrote:I forgot to mention the site C project. With all the hoops to jump through news reports say it will be years before a shovel hits the ground.

Any links to these news reports?

I read in the Vancouver Sun today, that construction could start in January[/quote]
Google Site C and you can get lots of info. Near as I can figure the flooding will affect 80 plus kilometers of land. First nations are opposed to this by ways of land treatys. Hydro is negotiating with 7 or so bands. It will likely go to court so I highly doubt anything will happen for quite some time.
Last edited by ferri on Oct 29th, 2014, 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote
tootall23
Fledgling

Post by tootall23 »

We have been having beautiful weather this fall in central Alberta. Forecast for Red Deer is +8 today, +13 Friday.
Records for today are low of -29 and high of +23 so you need to be prepared for winter if you are coming this way.

xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

tootall23 wrote:We have been having beautiful weather this fall in central Alberta. Forecast for Red Deer is +8 today, +13 Friday.
Records for today are low of -29 and high of +23 so you need to be prepared for winter if you are coming this way.

Got new blades on your auger yet ?

8>)
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
tootall23
Fledgling

Post by tootall23 »

Got lucky last winter. Couple times I shared a hose with another truck. It was already in the water. couple times my
cross-shift moved to a new location. In February it was + 8 near Cochrane. I went home on days off and when the rig moved a week later it was -40. Smile!
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

There is a 200 year supply of oil. Other than historically low interest rates that allowed for cheap speculation in the commodity market, I am amazed that the price of oil has held up this long. $70 per barrel is highly possible within a years time.
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

How are Alberta job prospects looking with oil at $77 yesterday (from high of $140)? I'm hoping the economy won't be affected too much. Airlines and truckers must like lower oil prices.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/industry-news/energy-and-resources/in-alberta-anxiety-grows-over-declining-oil-prices/article21122662/
SLX2007
Fledgling

Post by SLX2007 »

Looking for:

Class 1 drivers
Heavy haul/lowbed experience
Picker operators (certified)

Small, busy, growing oilfield hauling company.

Rotation package available with free crew housing, commuting/travel package, and transport while in town.

Message me for details. Must have relevant experience.
Okanagan & the oil patch
tootall23
Fledgling

Post by tootall23 »

How are things going for Alberta workers from this area? Do you expect work to slow or shut down because of low oil prices.

We are drilling in a natural gas field area. So far we are going back in early January but I'm not sure if they will continue to drill after that. There are three rigs racked close to our shop.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Lots of capital expenditure cutting going on by the companies. Many as much as 50%.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Spent a month on the E2H pipeline project this fall , that's been it for me and Alta this year . Found something local this winter , so I'm happy to be hanging around the OK , for a change .
I still see plenty of ads on Kijiji searching for water n vac guys so it cant be that bad .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
SLX2007
Fledgling

Post by SLX2007 »

Shale gas is still booming. Record land sales in northern BC. Pipeline and LNG developments, Site C dam project approval.

Busy!
Okanagan & the oil patch
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

tootall23 wrote:How are things going for Alberta workers from this area? Do you expect work to slow or shut down because of low oil prices.

We are drilling in a natural gas field area. So far we are going back in early January but I'm not sure if they will continue to drill after that. There are three rigs racked close to our shop.

Sitting in camp at cenovus, christina lake right now.. lots of lay offs for labourers but since I am driving and its christmas.. cha-ching.
tootall23
Fledgling

Post by tootall23 »

Remember the story of the old bull and the young bull. I am an old bull. No expensive toys, no payments. Our rig is shutting down after this hole. Days off- life is good.

Boss probably has another rig to go to after breakup. I know that a lot of people are hurting but many have done this before and were prepared.
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

oldtrucker wrote:Oil will never, ever,ever go down right? This thread has cobwebs on it- basically overnight since oil went down to $50/barrel.
Lots of toys...-trucks,snowmobiles,boats ,ATV's etc...going back to the banks I hear.Thread is so quiet that it's deafening.

Where did you "hear" this, and how many is "lots"?

Return to “Social Concerns”