Alberta workers

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Alberta workers

Post by Captain Awesome »

“I used to love summer, but then I realized that summer can be anytime you want, if you have money… Now, I love money. “
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Dizzy1 wrote:Life revolves around money, plain and simple.

You're life does. Not mine.

SLX2007 wrote:Hard work is dismissed far too easily by people these days.

I work very hard too. Just not up north where the people up there seem to think they have a monopoly on "working hard".

I'm sorry that suggesting alternatives to leaving your family alone for 2-3 weeks at at time comes across as negative. It's almost unsettling that as soon as someone suggests a alternative to "going to work on the moon" have 5 guys almost painfully re-enforcing to themselves how happy they are.

I post on this thread because I resisted going up North and made in Kelowna which according many posters here is impossible. My Father worked out of town a week at a time when I was younger, home on weekends. You are kidding yourselves if you think that your money is a good placeholder for you when you are absent @ work.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Jul 22nd, 2014, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Gixxer wrote:
No one cares. Go start a new thread about your traumatic life.

Why so defensive about people questioning the downside of working out of town? I would think you would want prospective patch workers to understand all aspects of working there, not just the paycheck.

If it works for you, great, but newbie's should understand what the impact on their family life could be.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

goatboy wrote:
Why so defensive about people questioning the downside of working out of town? I would think you would want prospective patch workers to understand all aspects of working there, not just the paycheck.

If it works for you, great, but newbie's should understand what the impact on their family life could be.

Your totally right. What do you do for work that allows you to live comfortably in the okanagan?
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Gixxer wrote:Your totally right. What do you do for work that allows you to live comfortably in the okanagan?

COO of a chain of Franchise stores. I started at the bottom and worked my way up.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

goatboy wrote:
COO of a chain of Franchise stores. I started at the bottom and worked my way up.

COO? Started at the bottom, that must have taken you some long hours over the years. How was that for the family, working long hours, and being burnt out on days off?
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

his kids dont know him and date older boys they see as father figures to fill the vacum.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Gixxer wrote:
COO? Started at the bottom, that must have taken you some long hours over the years. How was that for the family, working long hours, and being burnt out on days off?

I didn't realize this was a competition. Again, why so defensive of criticism of your job choice?

BTW, never missed one birthday, school concert, field trip, parent teacher visit.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Atomoa wrote:You're life does. Not mine.

You don't require shelter? You don't require to heat that shelter? You don't require to eat? You don't require to get back and to from work? Your employer doesn't compensate you for your time with money?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

goatboy wrote:
I didn't realize this was a competition. Again, why so defensive of criticism of your job choice?

BTW, never missed one birthday, school concert, field trip, parent teacher visit.

No competition going on, and who's being defensive?

How long did it take you to become COO of a franchise, where your early years at the bottom a struggle?
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Gixxer wrote:
No competition going on, and who's being defensive?

How long did it take you to become COO of a franchise, where your early years at the bottom a struggle?

Yep, the early years were penny pinching years. Career took 20 years to get to this stage.

Again, for a young, single guy, the patch is awesome and I would encourage anyone in that demographic to take advantage of it. For a family man with kids, I just see a big downside to the big bucks. But life is all about trade off and choices and if that works for you, then go for it.
tootall23
Fledgling

Post by tootall23 »

Here is the original post. I do not see anywhere he asked for opinions of people who are totally negative about it, seems off topic to me.

I would love to hear from any one who is currently residing in the Kelowna area who shifts in and out of work to AB or northern BC. I am considering pursuing a career change to make some of the big money I always hear about, but I also have a family and am worried about the dynamic shifting in and out may create. I am not a tradesperson but i do have a class 3 license and a ton of supervisory experience. I am just looking to gather any info, links etc from the people in the know that are in the industry already.
Much thanks in advance to any who respond

We got the point, goatboy and Atomoa do not want to go to Alberta to work. Fine. Have a nice life.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

goatboy wrote:

Yep, the early years were penny pinching years. Career took 20 years to get to this stage.

Again, for a young, single guy, the patch is awesome and I would encourage anyone in that demographic to take advantage of it. For a family man with kids, I just see a big downside to the big bucks. But life is all about trade off and choices and if that works for you, then go for it.

So it took you 20 years to get to this stage, and I probably still make more than you working 8 months out of the year. Yup living debit free, and having a huge savings account for retirement really does suck.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

LOL. How can you go wrong with "I have more money than you" argument.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.

Return to “Social Concerns”