Alberta workers

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
SLX2007
Fledgling

Re: Alberta workers

Post by SLX2007 »

Gixxer wrote:
Its mind blowing how busy it is up here.

You staying at the Sasquatch

Yuck. Waaaay too many months spent there.

At Royal Camp, the new one. Quite good.
Okanagan & the oil patch
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

Out of curiosity, what do you all do? Looks like some of you are drivers... what else?

I'm a chemical process operator working 4/4 in BC.
pattergrub
Fledgling

Post by pattergrub »

I am a rig manager, currently working 28/28 in Australia!
satisfaction is the death of desire!!
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Looks like all the local jobs are great for paying property taxes

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/12 ... d-in-taxes
SLX2007
Fledgling

Post by SLX2007 »

Liquidnails wrote:Out of curiosity, what do you all do? Looks like some of you are drivers... what else?

Well servicing, completions, well stimulation. Up in northern BC. Driving is less than 5% of the job, but when I do drive it's the big ugly stuff. Mostly I'm on lease operating equipment on multi well pads. Then the regular equipment maintenance and all the other good stuff.

Just got home, and really looking forward to a two week holiday. 21 day hitch, 20 days in the field. Busy as all hell up there.

How do we manage to do 20 straight days of 12 hour shifts? My oilpatch compatriots will understand.
Okanagan & the oil patch
Dranez

Post by Dranez »

Liquidnails wrote:Out of curiosity, what do you all do? Looks like some of you are drivers... what else?

I'm a chemical process operator working 4/4 in BC.

I work in the field of finance in norther BC. I work a 14/14 shift. As a lot of people have said, it is a great living and allows my family and myself to do a lot of great things such as travel. It did take some time getting used to the schedule but my family and I are now used to it and it's just normal now. Wouldn't change a thing and it allows us to live very comfortable in our beautiful okanagan city! (Cause we all know it is not cheap).
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Why would finance workers need to work shifts? A little strange for white collar, no?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I have a 30 year old friend who is looking for accommodation for the next few years in Peace River, Alberta. He is a non smoker, is single, has a well paying job and is looking at buying in the long run. Does anyone know if there are any lots suitable for a larger new mobile home to start out with? Phone calls to Peace River indicate an almost 0% vacancy rate at the moment. Any and all suggestions appreciated.
LK2014

Post by LK2014 »

Hey All!

Next week I'm heading to the Leduc/Nisku area to go door to door looking for a job as a leasehand/floorhand. I have all my certificates (H2S Alive, OFA level 3/Advanced First Aid, Confined Space Entry, Fall Protection, and PST.)

Any chance that anyone knows of who is hiring newby's? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please PM me if you don't want to post on the thread.

Thanks again for any help.
SLX2007
Fledgling

Post by SLX2007 »

LK2014 wrote:Hey All!

Next week I'm heading to the Leduc/Nisku area to go door to door looking for a job as a leasehand/floorhand. I have all my certificates (H2S Alive, OFA level 3/Advanced First Aid, Confined Space Entry, Fall Protection, and PST.)

Any chance that anyone knows of who is hiring newby's? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please PM me if you don't want to post on the thread.

Thanks again for any help.

Akita
Precision
Extreme
TNT
Horizon
Trinidad
Ensign
Nabors
Jade
Lakota

Just drilling, or are you interested in well servicing too?
Okanagan & the oil patch
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

I don't think you'll have an issue finding a LH job to start, it's crazy busy!
Sure do love Rutland!!
LK2014

Post by LK2014 »

Drilling or well servicing... I'll do whatever. Just really want to get started making some better money. I would eventually like to become a driller.
schmidt64

Post by schmidt64 »

LK2014 wrote:Drilling or well servicing... I'll do whatever. Just really want to get started making some better money. I would eventually like to become a driller.

A job on a drilling rig is a good way to get introduced to the industry. Things are starting to get busier and you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a Leasehand position with one of the drilling companies and start working your way up. Usually takes a minimum of 4-5 years to make Driller, perhaps longer.
tootall23
Fledgling

Post by tootall23 »

I am working on a water truck that is currently with a Savanna drilling rig. They seem to be a good outfit to work for. I looked at their web site and they are accepting applications for leasehands. Web site is www.savannaenergy.com

They have an office in Nisku as well as others.
LK2014

Post by LK2014 »

Out of curiosity, do any of you know which drilling rigs/service rigs provide accommodation - like camps- versus staying in a hotel? Thanks again.

Return to “Social Concerns”