Grad camp outs

morghoul

Re: Grad camp outs

Post by morghoul »

I recently graduated from Mount Boucherie, and as I remember it, campouts were one big bonfire and about 100 kids standing around it drinking. That being said, I only attended two throughout the entire year, the ones I did attend though were very mellow, and wouldn't raise too much concern for me if i were a parent.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

. They are at the age that they can make decisions and be accountable for their actions.
[/quote]

No, they are neither accountable or responsible. They want to be treated as adults when it suits them but when the s..t hits the fan, they have no clue other than to call mom and dad.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

Today's kids have far too much information and not enough maturity to handle it.
Likewise, they have far too much freedom, and not enough maturity to handle it.
Zandee

Post by Zandee »

The next grad campout is tues night. Please do not allow your child to attend this reckless event.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

maybe start now planning strategies for the kids who will 'do it anyways'.
morghoul

Post by morghoul »

Here's an idea: Why don't you just go up there and see what all the fuss is about instead of pretending like you know what goes on at these events. I'm not sure if you're aware, but cops DO show up to these things and check out what's going on, tell the kids to put the bonfire out, and then leave, because there's NOTHING going on. It's not like their starting a riot up there.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

Which ones have you attended then?
The cops don't always show up in time, especially if they are seriously needed.
Neither do the paramedics. The farther out you are, the longer you wait. The farther in you are, the less likely you will get help in the case of an accident or injury.
Of course, none of the grads (or other partiers that join them, like younger girlfriends, siblings, friends, etc) are drinking or doing drugs, and fires are not allowed, so there's not likely any accidents or injuries to be had. :127:
morghoul

Post by morghoul »

Well I'm just speaking as a Mount Boucherie graduate who attended two or three last year, which is probably more than you've attended at all. At any of the ones I was at, the cops were not needed at all, because there wasn't a whole lot more than kids standing around the fire drinking. I'm not saying they're not drinking or doing drugs, because the honest truth is, teenagers drink, and teenagers smoke pot, and there's not a whole hell of a lot you as a parent is going to be able to do to stop them. Especially when they are 18 years old and know how to make their own choices. I do hope you realize that the legal drinking age in B.C is 19, and you're not going to be doing them a world of help by holding them off for a few months. Let's look at it this way. I am hardly more mature at 19 than I was at 18. Just because I have a high-school diploma now and because my license says I'm legal does not make me any more responsible than I was last June, as I'm sure is the case with many of this year's graduates as well. I probably have a more accurate point of view of a camp out than you do, so hear me when I say, they are for the most part harmless fun, and part of the graduating experience. Did you not attend grad parties when you were in Highschool? I'm really sorry if you didn't have very many friends. As I remember, my grad class had no serious accidents or injuries at any of our campouts, though we did lose one of our classmates a few years ago at an out of control house party due to a deranged individual, which had nothing to do with a grad campout at all.

And FYI, it's April, currently there are no campfire bans.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

morghoul wrote:Well I'm just speaking as a Mount Boucherie graduate who attended two or three last year, which is probably more than you've attended at all. At any of the ones I was at, the cops were not needed at all, because there wasn't a whole lot more than kids standing around the fire drinking. I'm not saying they're not drinking or doing drugs, because the honest truth is, teenagers drink, and teenagers smoke pot, and there's not a whole hell of a lot you as a parent is going to be able to do to stop them. Especially when they are 18 years old and know how to make their own choices. I do hope you realize that the legal drinking age in B.C is 19, and you're not going to be doing them a world of help by holding them off for a few months. Let's look at it this way. I am hardly more mature at 19 than I was at 18. Just because I have a high-school diploma now and because my license says I'm legal does not make me any more responsible than I was last June, as I'm sure is the case with many of this year's graduates as well. I probably have a more accurate point of view of a camp out than you do, so hear me when I say, they are for the most part harmless fun, and part of the graduating experience. Did you not attend grad parties when you were in Highschool? I'm really sorry if you didn't have very many friends. As I remember, my grad class had no serious accidents or injuries at any of our campouts, though we did lose one of our classmates a few years ago at an out of control house party due to a deranged individual, which had nothing to do with a grad campout at all.

And FYI, it's April, currently there are no campfire bans.

My opinion is as long as you are living in your parents' house, eating their food, driving their vehicles, using their utilities and crapping in their toilets, then you should expect to follow and respect their rules of conduct. If you don't agree with them or think your intelligence is superior, get out on your own, get your own wheels, get a job and support yourself and don't come sniveling back home to Mommy and Daddy because life is too hard and you are too broke.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Fleshfailures
Board Meister

Post by Fleshfailures »

It's the parents choice and that should be respected. I graduated a few years ago, and while I never went to any campouts I heard enough about them to know I made the right choice. Several people I knew were involved in fights, a couple of people had the windows smashed out in their vehicles, and there were plently of drugs involved. Maybe other parties are more mellow, but the thing is that you don't know what's going to happen. You don't know if things will go well and everyone will have a good time, or if all hell will break loose and someone will wind up losing their life.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

I grad from Pringle in the 90's and I went to a few bush parties.....Be aware sexual assault happens at these types of events. To be honest I was so wasted I really don't remember much.....scary isn't.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
the_zipper
Board Meister

Post by the_zipper »

So Did I....don't remember any sexual assults?
psychprof
Fledgling

Post by psychprof »

I'd like to know the stats comparing deaths by bush party vs. death by car crash. Kids are allowed to drive independently at age 17. This, to my mind, is much more dangerous than going to a party. Thoughts?
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

the_zipper wrote:So Did I....don't remember any sexual assults?

Just because you didn't remember any doesn't mean they didn't happen.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

Alcohol fuels anger. All it takes is for two or more people to show up that don not get along and have been waiting to have the confrontation, then that is when things get out of control. Even if this is not the case, there is always one show off who will do their stupid antics to get a thrill and then it all gets downhill from here. I graded from RSS in 95 and at one of these parties cars got trashed as well as Denny's or McDicks I can not remember which one. IMO the only things that have changed from then to now is more hard drug use and the carrying and or use of weapons. These new twists make it survival of the fittest.
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy

Return to “Central Okanagan”