Cyclists on wrong side of road

Poindexter
Guru

Cyclists on wrong side of road

Post by Poindexter »

Has anyone else noticed that the youth of today ride almost exclusively against traffic. It had to be one of the 1st things I was taught before heading out on my bike as a kid but somehow this lesson has skipped a generation.

The other day coming out of a parking lot that had a hedge along one side I nosed out past the sidewalk only to be hit by a kid riding on the sidewalk heading against traffic. He wasn't hurt but my front fender has looked better.

Kids need to realize the majority of drivers look left when merging into traffic and I fear it's going to be a hard lesson learned by some driver or kid.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
SoyChai
Fledgling

Re: Cyclists on wrong side of road

Post by SoyChai »

My first thought was, "no, haven't noticed". Then I realized I saw a girl about 20 last night who was in the bike lane going the wrong way. And when I was going to work yesterday I almost hit a 18ish looking boy who was on the road, coming the wrong way and had a starbucks iced drink in one hand, a bag of something in the other, leaving no hands on his handlebars (was steering with his knee). that ticked me off because he was riding like an idiot, and if i hit him, I would be left feeling awful and guilty about it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I almost hit a guy (not a kid) who was riding on the wrong side, went through a red light and then gave me the "finger" when I honked at him!

Shoulda hit him!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
E3V
Fledgling

Post by E3V »

My pet peeve is bicyclists on the sidewalk. Everytime I go for a walk I come across at least two.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

E3V wrote:My pet peeve is bicyclists on the sidewalk. Everytime I go for a walk I come across at least two.

In areas such as Hwy 33 where there are no bike lanes, I don't have a problem with cyclists using the sidewalk. However, I expect them to yield right of way to pedestrians (this includes slowing down, or dismounting if necessary). I've found most of them to be quite courteous in this situation.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

SoyChai wrote: I would be left feeling awful and guilty about it.

Exactly! The kid that ran into my truck couldn't have been much older than 10. I was looking left, didn't see him at all and heard, or more like felt a thud only to see a kid go down on the passenger side of my car. As soon as I stepped out I could hear him screaming. That horrible sound that makes your heart sink into your stomach. When I ran around the truck there was this poor kid writhing in pain on the side walk looking frightened and shocked. My pulse was pounding and my mind ran through pictures of this happening to my own son and knowing it was my fault. Then I noticed he was holding his crotch. I've never been happier that a kid nailed himself on the crossbar. :hailjo: :hailjo:

Regardless, I consider myself lucky that all I have is a dented fender and not that horrible feeling to live with it the rest of my life.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

I could've sworn I was taught in school years ago you're supposed to ride against traffic, so you can see what's coming at you. Same deal with walking. Either way, cyclists need to pay more attention.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
moparmaddness

Post by moparmaddness »

Poindexter wrote: Exactly! The kid that ran into my truck couldn't have been much older than 10. I was looking left, didn't see him at all and heard, or more like felt a thud only to see a kid go down on the passenger side of my car. Regardless, I consider myself lucky that all I have is a dented fender and not that horrible feeling to live with it the rest of my life.

Sounds like he needs a smack as well on the top side of his head for being stupid on top of denting your car. Suppose you could have looked to the right first but sounds like it was a bang bang play and as soon as you pulled out you were hit. Hope his parents are going to fix your truck, and hopefully they were smart enough to outfit him with a helmet.
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

About a month ago I witnessed the exact thing... teen riding his bike, no helmet, ear buds blaring, riding against the traffic collided with a car in front of me. Thankfully she was just slowly pulling out of an intersection, but obviously looking left....
Does anyone know who would legally be to blame for that?
I was told that if a car is involved then ICBC gets all over it and the lady in the car gets charged... is this true? I just feel if the cyclists want the same rights as a vehicle, then they should obey the law too, but does this become an insurance issue?!

I did not know the lady, so I never found out what happened.
~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

underscore wrote:I could've sworn I was taught in school years ago you're supposed to ride against traffic, so you can see what's coming at you. Same deal with walking. Either way, cyclists need to pay more attention.

I suspect this is a mistaken memory. It was drilled into us to always walk against traffic and ride bikes with traffic; again, that's walk against, ride with. We were also all taught the proper hand signals so others would know our intent. I find that a lot of cyclists don't signal. Well, a lot of drivers don't either, but that's a whole other thread.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

IDK, it's a mixed bag, from what I see.

What bothers me more are those motorized scooters & mini-bikes I see all over the place - on the road, on the sidewalk, in the bike lane, on the grass median... you name it. I saw an old guy on one of these yesterday, cruising down the sidewalk on Harvey & crossing Dilworth, heading north while scaring the heck outta some pedestrians... :137:

When I lived in town, I often had to dodge joggers in the bike lane, as well as idiots like I already mentioned above. So I basically just rode where I felt safest at any given moment. It's a war zone out there! (no such problems out here where I am now tho! *looks down upon the city below* )
Your bias suits you.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

kgcayenne wrote:I suspect this is a mistaken memory. It was drilled into us to always walk against traffic and ride bikes with traffic; again, that's walk against, ride with. We were also all taught the proper hand signals so others would know our intent. I find that a lot of cyclists don't signal. Well, a lot of drivers don't either, but that's a whole other thread.

That would make sense, it would have been a long time ago. Riding with traffic certainly makes more sense as far as people turning right onto a street goes.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

As a motorist this riding on wrong side of the roads is incredible stupid, I've damn near hit a dozen or more cyclist since the beginning of the year. Everyone of them look at me as if I'm in the wrong, its always at 4 way intersection.

They keep this up an ER at KGH will be full of injured cyclist, or worst.

To those who are riding the proper side of the road, maybe give those who are not a lesson. I really don't want to see anyone get hurt needlessly.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

When I'm turning right out of a driveway, I need to check for pedestrians, then watch the traffic coming from the left and wait for a clearing. A cyclist coming at me from the right going the wrong way is a very dangerous situation!
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

I hate to point this out but, If you're not driving with the expectation of this happening then you are not driving correctly. The bottom line is whether you're a pedestrian, cyclist or driver you must always assume that everyone is not going to do as expected or what's proper.

Return to “Central Okanagan”