NO Honeybees in Kelowna?

Lerfy
Board Meister

Re: NO Honeybees in Kelowna?

Post by Lerfy »

Roadster wrote:I would have to call BS on this one. People like bees and back when they were plentiful it wasnt a problem, why would it be now that we want to provide for them? 39 out of 40 said no? Right.

Wow, because people didn't agree with you, I'm lying. How do you have any idea what their responses were?

39 out of 40 did not say no. Most of them supported the idea, but didn't like the idea of them on small lots. The resounding concern is that people didn't want their neighbours being able to put bee hives right near their property lines in places where they have no choice in the matter. Having a neighbour put up a hive a few feet away from their patio was concerning to them, as it should be. Most were in support of the idea as long as they were limited to larger lot sizes, appropriate setbacks, or obtaining the consent of immediate neighbours to put a hive within those setbacks. Sounds like reasonable limits to me, but sorry, since "Bees are good" why would we want to put any limits on them whatsoever?
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Roadster wrote:I would have to call BS on this one. People like bees and back when they were plentiful it wasnt a problem, why would it be now that we want to provide for them? 39 out of 40 said no? Right.

Lerfy
Wow, because people didn't agree with you, I'm lying. How do you have any idea what their responses were?

39 out of 40 did not say no. Most of them supported the idea, but didn't like the idea of them on small lots. The resounding concern is that people didn't want their neighbours being able to put bee hives right near their property lines in places where they have no choice in the matter. Having a neighbour put up a hive a few feet away from their patio was concerning to them, as it should be. Most were in support of the idea as long as they were limited to larger lot sizes, appropriate setbacks, or obtaining the consent of immediate neighbours to put a hive within those setbacks. Sounds like reasonable limits to me, but sorry, since "Bees are good" why would we want to put any limits on them whatsoever?

No not because they didnt agree with me, I never asked them, but because I know the support of bees is not a light subject anymore so I think you made up your numbers. Try again. No one around here is complaining about my bees and that includes my summer company who has all sat around them buzzing in and out of their nest they build in my carport. Infact anyone I have told this story to has said stuff along this line,,, "Good for you, I wouldnt destroy them either if I was blessed with them in my yard". I havent seen bees here in five years but maybe three, now I have them, lots of them.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I think the big thing in people's resistance to the idea of backyard hives is fear of getting stung, which in fact is quite unfounded. Any yard with flowers or fruit trees or any of multitude of vegetation is alive with bees when the plants are blooming each and every year. A considerable portion of my place is covered in ivy which veritably hums with bee action for a couple of weeks every spring, right outside my front door by the designated smoking area. (I have a renter who smokes but keeps it outside) I've been here going on twenty years and have never even had one come near me. Unless you threaten them or the hive directly they will leave you alone.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

-fluffy- wrote:I think the big thing in people's resistance to the idea of backyard hives is fear of getting stung, which in fact is quite unfounded. Any yard with flowers or fruit trees or any of multitude of vegetation is alive with bees when the plants are blooming each and every year. A considerable portion of my place is covered in ivy which veritably hums with bee action for a couple of weeks every spring, right outside my front door by the designated smoking area. (I have a renter who smokes but keeps it outside) I've been here going on twenty years and have never even had one come near me. Unless you threaten them or the hive directly they will leave you alone.

I was stung by a bee once when I was a kid,,, right on the thumb and man that hurt but I swatted at it and made it mad,,, been stung by several wasps in my life because they are attackers of anyone near their home,,, they dont like anyone near them. Bees will sting if provoked but if you leave em alone they will fly right past you and get to their home.
I'm tellin you, its spoomy that they can fly around us and under the table in the carport and not seem bothered but they do it. We just sit there and let em do their thing and so far they have bit no one, the queen (I think its the queen cos its much bigger then the ones coming in and out all day) seems to come out in the morning and buzz around us like she is just making sure no one is a threat,,, a slight bit scarier but she is only there for a few mins and we dont see her all day after that. She hasnt been swatted at and she dosnt seem annoyed at us, just looking around.
My little nephew wanted to swat at them while he was here and we told him to let them do their thing,,, sure he was nervous at first but he got used to them pretty quick once he heard us tell him a few times that they arent after him and he saw us not being afraid, he is twelve and I think he learned a valuable lesson on bees this summer, they dont want you, they want a place to live, swat free.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

It's just polite to make room for the working stiff.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
chetgunderson

Post by chetgunderson »

Any news on this? I just moved to Kelowna from Vancouver and would love to do this. I have .4 acre, but you need .5 here in Kelowna. Crazy that you could do it in any backyard in Vancouver...LMK
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

chetgunderson wrote:Any news on this? I just moved to Kelowna from Vancouver and would love to do this. I have .4 acre, but you need .5 here in Kelowna. Crazy that you could do it in any backyard in Vancouver...LMK

I'm a beekeeper in the Kelowna area. Before you start keeping bees - buy this book and know it inside out.

http://www.beemaidbeestore.com/product. ... ProdID=714

This year I have seen too many people getting bee colonies who have no idea what they are doing and end up infecting other peoples hives and killing off the colonies. The second thing you need to do is get stung, preferably in the face. If you survive you can start to think about keeping bees.

Part of the reason bee's have disease problems in North America is due to our very unregulated apiculture sector. If you want to keep bees here, you register the hive and go and buy some bees. The bee's pay the price for our "freedom" in this regard. There are no mandatory training or apprenticeships like they have in place in Europe. This had lead to poor practices and the spread of diseases.

It's a great thing to get into but there are more people doing harm than good lately due to lack of education and regulation, and the sad part is people are trying to keep bee's to protect them. Killed with the best intentions.

As far as being in the city limits, I have kept bees on a smaller city lot for years. Talk to your neighbours and there won't be a issue. Bylaw has better things to enforce, unless your neighbours make a stink. Honey always greases the wheels.

Good pic from this summer :

http://imgur.com/a/lj8nl
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
chetgunderson

Post by chetgunderson »

Thanks for the information. I'm a certified bee keeper, keeping bees for five years, very experienced in diseases and pests, and I've been stun, in the face too. I was shocked by the .5 acre bylaw, and wanted to see if things had changed or are about to change in Kelowna.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

chetgunderson wrote:Thanks for the information. I'm a certified bee keeper, keeping bees for five years, very experienced in diseases and pests, and I've been stun, in the face too. I was shocked by the .5 acre bylaw, and wanted to see if things had changed or are about to change in Kelowna.

Nice to meet you. I'm only a 4th year, no certification.

North Okanagan Bee Keepers Association meetings are every 3rd Monday of the Month. I believe there is a effort right now to get the .5 acre requirement lifted. I'm not within city limits anylonger and don't have to worry but I used to be in Old Glenmore and it was never a issue. I've heard of instance where someone was keeping about 9 hives in a small backyard and their neighbour complained and the hives had to be relocated, but you can imagine the traffic was substantial.

A friend got a call this summer from someone looking to buy "...about 200-250 bees" for their newly purchased flowhive, sorry about the speech. Welcome to Kelowna.

http://northokanaganbeekeepers.ca/events/
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Re: NO Honeybees in Kelowna??

Post by gordon_as »

Veovis wrote:I'm sure all the people highly allergic will love this idea.

I think I'll join you and make a case for more peanut butter in schools.

I am allergic to bees. I did some work on a house in Peachland a few years back. The lady had 4 or 5 hives on the
balcony of her house , which was only about 4 feet wide. I worked around those hives for hours , no problems whatsoever. Now , on my own deck , I am harassed constantly by wasps and have been stung twice in the past year. ( for no apparent reason)
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

gordon_as wrote:
I am allergic to bees. I did some work on a house in Peachland a few years back. The lady had 4 or 5 hives on the
balcony of her house , which was only about 4 feet wide. I worked around those hives for hours , no problems whatsoever. Now , on my own deck , I am harassed constantly by wasps and have been stung twice in the past year. ( for no apparent reason)

Absolutely - honey bees don't bother anyone unless you are threatening them directly.
There's no reason neighbors should have a problem with hives nearby.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Farmmaa wrote:Absolutely - honey bees don't bother anyone unless you are threatening them directly.
There's no reason neighbors should have a problem with hives nearby.

As a person with two neighbours who have hives in their backyards ... I love it ... we see the foragers constantly and I love giving them crap about keeping their pets in their own yards :biggrin:

And my 3-year-old loves pointing them out to me ... no stings over the years except by the wasps hanging out by my garage

Bring on the bees!
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

I love bees and what they do and love honey

but I hate bees around me...NIMBY lol..but serious...nooo wayyy
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Honey Bees do a very important job.
Attachments
Honey Bees.png
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

you know...maybe they are being killed by the GMO stuff and they are genetically engineering them to self pollinate
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.

Return to “Central Okanagan”