Enderby Shooter: Attempted Murder vs. Mischief

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Enderby Shooter: Attempted Murder vs. Mischief

Post by Queen K »

Oh I got that now. And yes, more and more people feel the law is not on their side, and who is?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Queen K wrote:Oh I got that now. And yes, more and more people feel the law is not on their side, and who is?

For some people calling the cops to solve their problems is out of the question to begin with.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Without trying to defend people taking the law into their own hands, society still needs to consider what can be done to reduce the number of people who feel that handling the problem themselves is their only option.

Obviously this man believed the woman's son and her friends had injured him in some way, and the woman appears to know what it was that the man was upset about (although she didn't go into detail about it). If this is so, I have to wonder WHY she didn't try to deal with the situation before it escalated like this? Could it be because she no longer has any parental control over her son?

I know of numerous instances of "off the rail" kids where the parents feel helpless to do anything about it, because they believe that our social system has removed all their parental controls. And in some cases the parents are right to believe that.

I remember a friend of mine a few years back, whose 14 year old kept breaking curfew, but when the parents tried locking the kid in her room the kid threatened to report them to the police for unlawful confinement. The mother checked and the police said that yes, they WOULD have charged the mother in that circumstance, because parents are NOT allowed to lock their wayward children in their rooms. Presumably it was OK to let her roam the streets all night though, and hang out with all kinds of undesirables.

I think it's time society differentiated between some cruel parent who locks their kid up 24/7, and a caring parent who just does it for a couple of hours to keep the kid from harm. I don't see how locking the bedroom door to stop the kid going out and doing drugs is such a bad thing. What do the rest of you think?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

Merry wrote:Without trying to defend people taking the law into their own hands, society still needs to consider what can be done to reduce the number of people who feel that handling the problem themselves is their only option.

Obviously this man believed the woman's son and her friends had injured him in some way, and the woman appears to know what it was that the man was upset about (although she didn't go into detail about it). If this is so, I have to wonder WHY she didn't try to deal with the situation before it escalated like this? Could it be because she no longer has any parental control over her son?

I know of numerous instances of "off the rail" kids where the parents feel helpless to do anything about it, because they believe that our social system has removed all their parental controls. And in some cases the parents are right to believe that.

I remember a friend of mine a few years back, whose 14 year old kept breaking curfew, but when the parents tried locking the kid in her room the kid threatened to report them to the police for unlawful confinement. The mother checked and the police said that yes, they WOULD have charged the mother in that circumstance, because parents are NOT allowed to lock their wayward children in their rooms. Presumably it was OK to let her roam the streets all night though, and hang out with all kinds of undesirables.

I think it's time society differentiated between some cruel parent who locks their kid up 24/7, and a caring parent who just does it for a couple of hours to keep the kid from harm. I don't see how locking the bedroom door to stop the kid going out and doing drugs is such a bad thing. What do the rest of you think?

We don't know that she didn't try. Parents do not control their kids, kids control themselves, or not.
Could be she did try to deal with 'the situation', before it escalated; could also be she exhausted all resources trying to keep her son from misbehaving. (and no - likely they would not charge the mother, they would talk to her at her front door, if the child called in abuse)

Parent's haven't lost parental controls inside their own homes; parents have lost rights to information about their children when they get in trouble with pregnancy, with drugs, with the law. Parents who don't have troubled kids won't be aware until those things happen and they try to help.

Police will also tell parents to put their 15 year olds out onto the street if they aren't following the rules. Then, when the parent does that, the police will tell the kid that it is illegal for his parent to kick him out until he's 18, and that he can't be charged with break and enter at his own home. (I have a friend who that happened to). The kid broke in, and the police then charged him with mischief. Police are no better equipped in dealing with troubled teens than teachers and school counsellors and parents are.
(That kid also busted out of a locked room at the age of 7 when his mom worked with him for three days to clean his room and he refused to cooperate)
Parents cannot control their children by locking them up, or locking them out, or spanking them, or grounding them.
Parents do not control their children. Police do not control children. Children must be taught to control themselves.

Locking the bedroom door is not a good thing. First, it breaks the golden rule of most family value systems. Secondly, it presents a reaction - be it rebellion, power struggle, or conspiracy to outsmart you. Third, it role models power to control the behaviour of others, and forth, it can damage relationships.

Locking the bedroom door for any length of time, be it two days or two years, will not keep a child from doing drugs.
Learning about the harmful effects of drugs, and close relationships with family members, extended family, and continual education, (parents first educating themselves) along with practice in resisting peer pressure will go a long way in keeping kids safe from drugs.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

Mama wrote:In this day and age, unfortunately, " Justice" is rarely served. Perhaps Public servants are too chained by the public?
Maybe if the Mothers of these young punks actually did their job, this would not have happened.
And please, dont post any "single mom" sob stories in reply to me. I know of MANY single moms that have done an amazing job with their kids. I also know of some good people with children that have gone bad, but those good people would be apologizing for what their kid drove someone to. Not claiming it was his "friends".

You are obviously not a mother of a troubled teenager.
If it was the mother's fault that the kid misbehaved, then everything we do wrong, we can now keep blaming on our mothers.
Sometimes good kids get in with troubled kids, and peer pressure influences their behaviour, even to the point where family values are not respected.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

gardengirl wrote:
Well if mom is covering up for her children's criminal activity. YES. Blame the mother.

Well, if human nature takes over, the mother knows her kid best, and she will protect him.

Especially if he's a good kid who did a bad thing while involved with some troubled friends.

Obviously I am missing something; I have not understood that the mother is covering up for her son.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

gardengirl wrote:http://www.chbcnews.ca/video/manhunt+captures+suspect/video.html?v=2258134327

From the sounds of the mother in this clip, there was definitely something that brought this on.
Something that involved her son and his friends.
Her reaction is strange. There is no outrage or questioning what on earth would cause someone to do this.
Perhaps she knows darn well.

From the sounds of the mother in that clip, this man was after her son's friends, he thought they were at her home, he shot a bullet through her daughter's car, and he aimed at her at the top of the stairs.
Where does she say it involved her son and his friends?
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Read between the lines. Mom says the guy had a problem "with her son's friends."
Riiiiight. So sweet sonny had nothing to do with it.

Also, these are not young kids. The son is 18. Doesn't that make him an adult according to the law?
Hmmmm. So if he got busted for something, he would be considered an adult.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

Yup, that's right. 18 is adult court.
Do you think the whole story will ever come out?
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Captain Awesome wrote:
Doesn't sound like the guy was attempting to kill anybody. They all seem to know each other. Something must have happened and this is just an ending to a dispute of some kind.

Fantastically epic assumptions made here.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

[quote="FreeRights"---------------
Doesn't sound like the guy was attempting to kill anybody. They all seem to know each other. Something must have happened and this is just an ending to a dispute of some kind.----------------
Fantastically epic assumptions made here.[/quote]

Actually, not that fantastic. There is history and this is not the first confrontation between the "kids" in the house and people in the neighborhood.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.

Return to “Central Okanagan”