Swan Lake Wakeboarding

Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Swan Lake Wakeboarding

Post by Fritzthecat »

gordon_as wrote:Part of the problem is that for people coming from certain parts of Alberta , and Saskatchewan , Swan Lake is comparatively huge to what they have at home. They see a great lake , it has a boat launch and no crowds so they use it. I agree that there should be horsepower , size , and speed restrictions on the lake , but until there is , the tourists are only guilty of not being familiar with the area and how we use it.

It's our lake. It is not open season for tourists. The problem with tourists around the Okanagan is they do as they please and God forbid we say anything to them. Remember a few years ago the problem of tourists using Shuswap River as their garbage can as they floated down it?
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
imahoser
Fledgling

Post by imahoser »

I agree with OP 100%. If there isnt a "speedboat" ban on at swan lake.. there should be asap.
vernongeek

Post by vernongeek »

gordon_as wrote:Part of the problem is that for people coming from certain parts of Alberta , and Saskatchewan , Swan Lake is comparatively huge to what they have at home. They see a great lake , it has a boat launch and no crowds so they use it. I agree that there should be horsepower , size , and speed restrictions on the lake , but until there is , the tourists are only guilty of not being familiar with the area and how we use it.

Gordon_as, yes you are 1000% right. I don't fault the tourists I am faulting the system. I wrote to Terry Lake ([email protected]) earlier this week already asking why there are no boat restrictions, and to put anything above 9.9HP as a boat restriction as that is what Ducks Unlimited Suggests. I also wrote to Ducks Unlimited Canada, apparently they tried to get boat restrictions a few years ago, and the government said that there was not enough public support for this. I wanted to see what the public support was on this, and a majority it seems does not see an issue with boat restrictions. Really makes me wonder where the government gets there reports from.
Last edited by vernongeek on Aug 3rd, 2012, 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
vernongeek

Post by vernongeek »

Fritzthecat wrote:It's our lake. It is not open season for tourists. The problem with tourists around the Okanagan is they do as they please and God forbid we say anything to them. Remember a few years ago the problem of tourists using Shuswap River as their garbage can as they floated down it?

The problem though, it is open season because the government is allowing it to happen. Not like we as locals can go out there and tell people to get off the lakes. Here is a list of lakes that I found where power boats are forbidden in BC. I don't see Swan Lake on there, do you?

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regu ... .html#h-15

What was the solution for Shuswap River?
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

vernongeek wrote:The problem though, it is open season because the government is allowing it to happen. Not like we as locals can go out there and tell people to get off the lakes. Here is a list of lakes that I found where power boats are forbidden in BC. I don't see Swan Lake on there, do you?

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regu ... .html#h-15

What was the solution for Shuswap River?

Well then concerned citizens need to get off their butts and make it happen.
Has anybody contacted a public official? Wrote a letter? Formed a concerned citizens group? Sought professional consultation?
As for Shuswap River? Ignore the problem and it will go away :127:
It is still an issue. The amount of garbage that gets tossed in every year is beyond pollution.

Of course, if our wonderful governments hadn't have cut all the enforcement budgets......
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
vernongeek

Post by vernongeek »

Fritzthecat wrote:Well then concerned citizens need to get off their butts and make it happen.
Has anybody contacted a public official? Wrote a letter? Formed a concerned citizens group? Sought professional consultation?
As for Shuswap River? Ignore the problem and it will go away :127:
It is still an issue. The amount of garbage that gets tossed in every year is beyond pollution.

Of course, if our wonderful governments hadn't have cut all the enforcement budgets......

I have wrote to the Ministry of Environment yet I have yet to hear from them. I also wrote to Ducks Unlimited Canada who are in full support of this. The city of Vernon won't officially support this unless someone presented to the city a presentation, then they would get on board. My public speaking skills are not exactly up to par, and my biology skills would not give the lake proper justice. I have also tried to contact www.nonc.ca which is a naturalist club here in town, have not heard from them either.
I have also write a letter to the editor of the Vernon Morningstar but they have not published anything either. So perhaps its a touchy subject for some people, I really don't know. I have started a Facebook page with a petition at www.change.org But that did not fly to well and there is not an easy way to get out to the locals and I am not allowed to post anything on here about it to garner support, or my post will be blocked.

Here is one of my many letters thus far that I wrote to the Environmental Protection Division of BC:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
SENT: July 29 and a second time again July 30th with more people on the list

TO:
[email protected]
[email protected]

CC:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Environmental Protection Division,

Not sure who to address to at your department. So I apologize in advance for the generic title.

It is no secret by now that power boats have a significant environmental impact on bird nesting grounds. The last few weeks I decided to go kayaking on Swan Lake here in Vernon. To my surprise there seem to be a large number of power boats, jet skis, water skiers, wake-boarders on the lake.

Why is there not an official ban of power boats on Swan Lake? Most of Swan Lake is no deeper then 6 feet and seems more of a marsh then a lake. The nesting area is quite vast along the shoreline of Swan Lake. I have personally observed the following birds this summer: Blue Heron, Western Grebe, Ducks, Geese, Red Tailed Hawks, Bald Eagles, Golden Eagle, and even an Osprey nest nearby. Also with the extra boat traffic, more garbage can be found floating in the lake. Which ends up in the marshland area which is under Ducks Unlimited Protection. There also seem to be a number of boaters with no life jackets, plenty of booze, where are the police for this lake?

I encourage your department to read your own government report that discusses the effects that the power boats have on Swan Lake. This report has data tracked from 1940 on different bird counts in Swan Lake.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/documents/ ... s/wr87.pdf

With Okanagan Lake and Kalamalka Lake within a 10 minute drive of Swan Lake, I do not see a need for power boat access on Swan Lake. In an ideal world I would love to see a complete ban of all boats on Swan Lake, however being a realist I am calling for a complete ban of all power boats above 9.9HP on Swan lake. The only boats in my view that should be allowed are boats under 9.9HP (Ducks Unlimited Canada suggested this number) as they do not affect the nesting areas on the lake as much as the power boats that create the mini tsunamis that hit the shorelines and spill the bird nests.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

You've done your homework! Impressive.
Have you contacted the other political parties in the area?
vernongeek

Post by vernongeek »

Fritzthecat wrote:You've done your homework! Impressive.
Have you contacted the other political parties in the area?

I have tried doing my homework. Now if people would just take my letter and resend it, we will be good. Could inundate the government with emails..As for other political parties, I have only got in touch with the NDP opposition. Adrian Dix and also the environment critic from the NDP. Not sure who else to email on this. I also emailed the Justice Minister of Canada (Robert Douglas Nicholson) to see who controls the boat control restrictions for that list I posted in an earlier post. I have also contacted wildsight.ca to look for further advice.

To add more insult to injury, someone has applied for a float plane license on Swan Lake. If you know of other people I should get in touch with, let me know. I have also been in touch with nonc director who is forwarding what I am doing to a Swan lake committee. They have there own battle now on that float plane application for Swan Lake. Apparently that was in the Vernon Morningstar last week.
vernongeek

Post by vernongeek »

Finally got contacted by a government official. This is why politics are politics! It is a lengthy process just to get a boat restriction. Wow. Need an army of retirees to get this one done.

Reference:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/de ... nu-245.htm

A did you know fact:
"The federal government has legislative authority and jurisdiction over all Canadian waters "

2.3 Applying for a restriction

INTRODUCTION:

The Boating Restriction Regulations (BRRs) allow for the restriction of boating activities, on a specific body of water, in order to achieve safety, environmental, or public interest objectives. BRRs provide the means to impose restrictions such as:

Prohibition of all boats
Limitation of propulsion power or type of propulsion
Imposition of speed limits
Restriction of towing activities such as waterskiing or regattas.
Restrictions can apply at all times or be specific to certain times of the day, week, months or seasons. Submissions for a boating restriction under the BRRs can target a particular type or types of craft that are the cause of a problem. There are presently some 2000 boating restrictions in effect on various bodies of water across the country.

PROCESS:

Step 1. Determine whether an alternate, effective, or non-regulatory means exist, such as working with the community for support, and or providing education to achieve the objectives. Transport Canada has trained personnel in each regional Office of Boating Safety across the country to proactively work with applicants in seeking solutions to waterway conflicts.

Step 2. If an alternate resolution is not found, regional staff will assist the applicant as appropriate.

Step 3. The applicant must:

Clearly identify the problem
Identify all known contributing causes to the problem
Identify non-regulatory alternatives that were examined or attempted
Outline and document the public consultation that has been carried out
Establish and document why regulation is the only alternative
Outline and document impact assessments and cost/benefit analyses based on the decision to regulate.
Ensure the nominated body of water has been accurately identified in terms easily understood by stakeholders
Ensure suitable methods are in place to allow compliance with the regulations
Identify that enforcement is practical
Ensure the information required is concise and in a format acceptable for review and potential processing
Once an application has been received, the regional Office of Boating Safety (with participation from other federal and provincial departments, if necessary) is responsible for ensuring that an application is justified, sufficient documented public consultation has been carried out, and the requirements of the Cabinet Directive on Streamlining Regulation have been met.
The application will then be forwarded to the Office of Boating Safety, National Headquarters for further processing. Publication through the Canada Gazette process will occur when the application is successful, and all questions have been answered or resolved.
When the process is properly followed, applications should be actioned and brought into force within one year, or sooner if fast tracking is possible.
The applicant in any given case will vary. An applicant can be any level of government or capable of completing the Boating Restriction Regulation process and maintaining any signs or buoys if required once an application is successful.
2.4 The review process

The application package sent by the applicant to the regional Office of Boating Safety (OBS) must contain enough information to allow the OBS to review the file and ensure that the process followed has met the requirements of the Cabinet Directive on Streamlining. It is in the applicant’s interest to contact the regional OBS for guidance on non-regulatory alternatives and on developing the following information if a boating restriction is the appropriate alternative:

A description of the waterway including types of activity, access points, population, vessel types and other water related activities
A chart or map clearly indicating the boundaries of the proposed site
A complete description of the perceived problem(s), complete with an analysis of all probable causes and all potential solutions listing all of their pros and cons, etc.
A summary of the consultation process, to include, as applicable
A list of major stakeholders, their positions, how they were contacted and by what means
Copies of print advertisements used including their date, place and publication
Copies of posters/flyers and a list of locations displayed
Dates and stations used for call-in programs
Copies of minutes of meetings
Summary of e-mail/letters – for and against
Summary of telephone calls for and against
Summary of non-regulatory alternatives considered including reasons for continuing with the proposed restriction, as well as why a particular restriction was selected
A copy of the cost/benefit analysis
A description of the compliance and enforcement mechanisms that will be put in place, and a letter from the local enforcement agency confirming that they support the proposed restriction and can enforce it
The regional OBS (and/or Designated Provincial Authority) will consider all aspects of the application and determine whether or not there is enough evidence to apply for a proposed boating restriction.

If necessary, an assessment of the waterway by qualified federal, provincial or territorial officials may be conducted to gather additional information to evaluate the waterway. The regional OBS will review and assess the level of consultation that has been conducted and will ensure that a cost/benefit analysis of the site(s) is prepared. Following this review, the regional OBS may recommend a proposed restriction for forwarding or return it to the applicant for more information or for further consultation. Recommended applications will be assembled and submitted to the Office of Boating Safety National Headquarters (OBS NHQ).

If the application is complete at this level, the OBS NHQ will prepare a Regulatory Impact Analysis Statement (RIAS) and other documentation. These documents will be in support of the designation and will summarize the information contained in the application, including an outline of the public consultations held, how the problem was defined, why this regulation was deemed the best solution, the impacts a designation will have on stakeholders, and how the different facets of the Cabinet Directive on Streamlining Regulation were satisfied.

The proposed amendment to the regulations to include the new site along with the accompanying RIAS is processed through the legislative law-making process, and may be published in the Canada Gazette Part I. The Gazette is published nationally and allows stakeholders one last opportunity to comment on the proposed regulatory changes. If comments are received by the federal government during the comment period that have already been addressed during the consultations, or if no comments are received at all, the proposed sites may be published in the Canada Gazette Part II and could become federal law at a date prescribed in the Regulation. In cases where comments are received that have not been previously addressed, the RIAS may have to be revised to address those concerns and/or additional consultations may have to be carried out.

Once the amendments have been published in Part II of the Canada Gazette, the OBS NHQ will inform the regional OBS and designated provincial authority (if applicable), who will in turn inform the applicant.
The applicant is responsible for ensuring that notification of the designation is given to the public. This notification can be in various forms, and may include the posting of signage in the designated areas or in public places close to the designated site. The applicant will be given ministerial authority to post any necessary signage once the proposed restriction is published in Canada Gazette Part II.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

i have lived in vernon since i was 7.
this is the stupidest thing i have seen yet.
after 40 years here i have seen no deaths or big boating accidents on swan lake,
its time these new people to vernon stopped buying houses on our lakes and then start demanding restricting use.
we need the tourism and the lakes are the #1 attraction.
if you dont like boats on the lake move back to your vancouver 15th floor apartment,
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

keith1612 wrote:i have lived in vernon since i was 7.
after 40 years here i have seen no deaths or big boating accidents on swan lake,
its time these new people to vernon stopped buying houses on our lakes and then start demanding restricting use.
if you dont like boats on the lake move back to your vancouver 15th floor apartment,

I take exception to the above comment. Perhaps there are no accidents because there are so few large fast boats and personal water craft but there are many more issues then safety to be considered. This lake is used by other users like the fishers, paddlers, bird watchers and of course the wildlife that exist on or near the lake. Another consideration is pollution and noise. A few people with large boats can ruin a situation for many other users and the environment.

I've lived here longer than you and have many friends that think the large power boats etc. that take over our lakes are a pain and wish they were gone. Tourist might flock here if we protected our lakes and went a little greener in our use of the beautiful lakes around our city. There have been several accidents on local lakes that involved powerboats, kayakers and other boats to the point where I know many people who won't go on our larger lakes because they fear for there lives.
vernongeek

Post by vernongeek »

keith1612 wrote:i have lived in vernon since i was 7.

I challenge you to go to the South End of the lake and take a few sites in on the nesting birds in the area. In case you were unaware of the history of Swan Lake. People have been trying to get Swan Lake established as a Bird Sanctuary since as far back as 1922. So this should not be new news to you, if you are truly an original Vernonite like you claim.

Also for the record, I said nothing about banning all boats on Swan Lake,I am referring to just the boats above 9.9HP on Swan Lake. The power boats can go to the other lakes. This is not a new practice. There are many other lakes in the province that hold boat restrictions due to wildlife habitat and having protective status because of sensitive marshland. Perhaps you have a better proposal that you can share with us all?
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

show any evidence the boats are causing harm to nesting birds.
most boaters stay far from weeds as its too shallow and can damage the boat.
the waves from boats are nowhere as bad as the waves created by mother nature during any of our summer storms.
kayakers and small boats are far more likely to be in the birds nesting area's.
swan lake has been used for years for everyone's enjoyment and not just a few self centered people who think everything should be changed to suit their needs.
if you want peacefull kayak lakes we have many of them in the mountains and a large amount of them are even gas motor banned.
stop trying to chase away ski boats because you feel you shouldnt have to watch and hear families out enjoying the okanagan on the water.
as i posted there are many quieter places you can go or move to if needed.
vernongeek

Post by vernongeek »

keith1612 wrote:show any evidence the boats are causing harm to nesting birds.
most boaters stay far from weeds as its too shallow and can damage the boat.
the waves from boats are nowhere as bad as the waves created by mother nature during any of our summer storms.
kayakers and small boats are far more likely to be in the birds nesting area's.
swan lake has been used for years for everyone's enjoyment and not just a few self centered people who think everything should be changed to suit their needs.
if you want peacefull kayak lakes we have many of them in the mountains and a large amount of them are even gas motor banned.
stop trying to chase away ski boats because you feel you shouldnt have to watch and hear families out enjoying the okanagan on the water.
as i posted there are many quieter places you can go or move to if needed.

I was unaware that you were a member of the flat earth society, always requiring evidence. The facts are clear, power boats have more effects on the lake then just spilling the nests. There are many reasons boat wakes cause damage. Please get your facts straight before saying ambiguous statements. Spilling nests is just one thing that they do, air pollution, water pollution, increased water turbidity on the lake, damage to vegetation for the fish, scaring away migratory birds, running over birds, increased amount of garbage in the lake, should I go on?

If you want to keep challenging science you do that, but the rest of the world knows the earth is not flat.

To prove my point, I encourage you to read the various articles throughout this forum I have started, if you require more evidence, please feel free to let me know and I will gladly give you further references then this:

http://www.marinfo.gc.ca/Doc/Erosion/Er ... ges_EN.pdf
http://www.wblcd.org/Sciencefornowakezoneinmarsh.pdf
http://www.muskokaheritage.org/mwc/prog ... /action-12
http://www.lowdpoa.com/living-green-at- ... e-erosion/

Explains process of waves:
http://www.crd.bc.ca/watersheds/protect ... /waves.htm

There are laws in place for protection of the birds for a reason:
http://www.epa.gov/owow/NPS/mmsp/section4-14.pdf

There are even safe boating guides that inform you to not be so wreckless with boat operation.
http://www.safeboater.com/studyguide4-7.asp

As for your statement about chasing away skiboats, please read the title. The title says "Swan Lake Wakeboarding" not "Swan lake Skiboating"
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

As for your statement about chasing away skiboats, please read the title. The title says "Swan Lake Wakeboarding" not "Swan lake Skiboating"

well its pretty hard to run a skiboat with a 9.9 outboard.
you yourself have been posting that you want motor size restricted so your topic is fake.
as for damage i have lived here most of my life and i have heard of zero problems on swan lake in regards to drunken boaters etc.
even the police see no need to patrol the lake as there has been no problems.
the general public in vernon seem very satisfied as to the lakes use and to how its effecting the birds,
the only people that seem upset are a few kayakers and anti boaters who want the lake turned into their own little piece of paradise.
i live 5 minutes from the lake and in the course of my work day can drive past it 10-20 times a day, i have never seen any problems other than ice fishermen in danger when the ice is too thin.
you can post all the bird nest theorys you want but its no different than any lake.
you can find sections on the south end of kal lake thats obviously nesting areas and same with around westside road on okanagan lake.
you posted in the paper that it wont be long before a serious accident takes place yet there is nothing at all going on out there to back these claims up.
if we saw a bunch of reckless out of control boaters out there i would be in full agreement but thats not the case.
and as for all the drinking and lack of life jackets you are always witnessing remember as a good boater you can always report to the RCMP to help save lives.
my bet is you wont have to often, if at all.

Return to “Central Okanagan”