Pitbull keeps biting in Armstrong

jsowezenko

Pitbull keeps biting in Armstrong

Post by jsowezenko »

I am having a problem with my neighbors pitbull...it has biten my son (minor) twice, and also biten the other neighbors son once (minor). I have reported this to dog control, and there is an investigation currently being held. The owners are saying that my son fell off his bike, and that is how he got the "scrape" on his foot. I have 3 boys, the youngest a toddler, and it scares the crap out of me that this could happen again. The dog is still at this residence, and our family is scared to even go out to the mailbox or walk around the block...any suggestions to make this "process" hurry up?
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Pitbull keeps biting in Armstrong

Post by gardengirl »

Go to the media.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

For starters, never let your kids play outside unattended; make sure they never enter that neighbour's property (I get the impression there is no fence); and speak with all your neighbours and put the word out that this house needs to be watched so that should anything further happen, there are other witnesses to any bites.

You may have to accept there will be a he-said/she-said scenario here, and unless there were adult witnesses to your son's and the other child's bites, then it's a child's word against an adult's.

Spy vs Spy in Kelowna sells dog repellant spray.

Also, if you were to be frequently seen taking video of your kids and their friends having fun, I am willing to bet that the dog owners will be quite wary about allowing their dog to tresspass and endanger your kids.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

jsowezenko wrote:I am having a problem with my neighbors pitbull...it has biten my son (minor) twice, and also biten the other neighbors son once (minor). I have reported this to dog control, and there is an investigation currently being held. The owners are saying that my son fell off his bike, and that is how he got the "scrape" on his foot. I have 3 boys, the youngest a toddler, and it scares the crap out of me that this could happen again. The dog is still at this residence, and our family is scared to even go out to the mailbox or walk around the block...any suggestions to make this "process" hurry up?

Are dog bites scrapes? At the residence in a fenced yard? Is the dog running lose? Is that why you are scared to go out?
I would be too if lose dogs we're roaming the neighbourhood.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Triple 6 wrote:
Are dog bites scrapes? At the residence in a fenced yard? Is the dog running lose? Is that why you are scared to go out?
I would be too if lose dogs we're roaming the neighbourhood.

No doubt. Try posting more of the story OP. Some facts would be great.

- Is the dog being walked or running loose when these incidents occur?

- Are they on your property, their property or public property?

- Do you have witnesses to the bites or just the word of a small child?

- Have you spoken with the owners?

And so on and so forth.
jsowezenko

Post by jsowezenko »

The side door to this person's house was "accidentally" left open, and that is how the dog got out of the house. My son had rang the front doorbell to see if the kids could play (which they were not allowed to) so had walked back to his bike and was getting on to it (which was on the sidewalk) when the dog came around from the side of the house and ran up and attacked his foot. He dropped his bike and started running away, and a very nice lady from out of town stopped her car to see if he was ok. She did not see the dog actually bite him, but my son would have absolutely no reason to say this happened if it in fact had not (he is 10). I tend to believe him because of how afraid he was, and how long it took me to settle him down. He usually does not get so upset when he gets hurt (last year he broke his hand after falling off of his bike, and cried for about half a minute before going off and playing for another few hours before he realized how swollen his hand was). The thing that scares me is that this door that was accidentally left open faces our road, and it could have easily been me with the toddler walking by. This was a completely unprovoked attack, and I think it could happen to anyone.

My son has been nipped by this dog before, when he was playing with the neighbors kids, but I let it slide because it was very minor and it was the first time...he was in their yard that time, and both him and another boy got bit. The owners apologized to the other boys parents that time, but also said it wasn't their fault, as he didn't have their permission to be in the yard.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

Do not trust your children around your neighbour's pitbull.
Do not allow them to go over and ring the bell, or play at the house where the pitbull resides.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

I concur. If your child was in the neighbour's yard, there is always a chance the dog would be outside. If your child want's to play with those kids, phone their house and ask them to come over your house.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
vernongeek

Post by vernongeek »

jsowezenko wrote:I am having a problem with my neighbors pitbull...it has biten my son (minor) twice, and also biten the other neighbors son once (minor). I have reported this to dog control, and there is an investigation currently being held. The owners are saying that my son fell off his bike, and that is how he got the "scrape" on his foot. I have 3 boys, the youngest a toddler, and it scares the crap out of me that this could happen again. The dog is still at this residence, and our family is scared to even go out to the mailbox or walk around the block...any suggestions to make this "process" hurry up?

My first question, Is the dog really aggressive, or was the dog more trying to play. I never heard of a dog directly attacking someones foot before. And if the dog really is aggressive like you are saying, there is not a chance your son could have out run the dog. Your son's story does not make any sense. **
Last edited by vernongeek on Aug 12th, 2012, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

vernongeek wrote:
My first question, Is the dog really aggressive, or was the dog more trying to play. I never heard of a dog directly attacking someones foot before. And if the dog really is aggressive like you are saying, there is not a chance your son could have out run the dog. Your son's story does not make any sense. Also why was your son out of your sight if he is under 10 years old, or your toddler even. Perhaps the Ministry of Children and Family Services should also be contacted by your neighbors to report child neglect.

The dog sounds like a Border Collie or Blue Heeler - and they will "attack" feet because they are bred to nip at sheep's heels to move and herd them. We had one once and it was forever trying to "herd" my young kids when they were in the yard playing so we rehomed it.

Your comment about contacting the ministry is a tad over the top. Children "under 10 years old" do all kinds of things without their mommies - like walk to school or go to a friend's house to play.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
vernongeek

Post by vernongeek »

grammafreddy wrote:The dog sounds like a Border Collie or Blue Heeler - and they will "attack" feet because they are bred to nip at sheep's heels to move and herd them. We had one once and it was forever trying to "herd" my young kids when they were in the yard playing so we rehomed it.

Your comment about contacting the ministry is a tad over the top. Children "under 10 years old" do all kinds of things without their mommies - like walk to school or go to a friend's house to play.

How many reported pitbull (not border collies or Blue Heelers) attacks have you heard of where the pitbull goes after the feet? The dog control officer in Armstrong is very good and I know would not tolerate such a thing in town.

OFF TOPIC: My Comment about the MCF being contacted, yes over the top. Sorry I apologize. I deleted my comment as well.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

vernongeek wrote:
How many reported pitbull (not border collies or Blue Heelers) attacks have you heard of where the pitbull goes after the feet? The dog control officer in Armstrong is very good and I know would not tolerate such a thing in town.

If the dog control officer is so good, why is this dog still terrorizing the neighbourhood?

I have no idea what a pit bull will attack and what it won't attack. I couldn't care too much less. I was responding to your comment ...

vernongeek wrote:I never heard of a dog directly attacking someones foot before.

Blue Heelers and Border Collies are dogs - at least they are where I come from.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

i have to say, from any pitbull attack Ive ever heard of, (or even bite for that matter), they do not just leave a minor scrape.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

I had a boxer and a shar pei that both were constantly mistaken for "pit bulls"....and maybe this person should first try to work it out with the neighbor and maybe get to know the dog personally that way and then judge? Maybe also teaching the kids on what and what not to do when a dog rushes....such as the signals of a vicious dog? or the signals of a curious dog? the signals of a playful dog? Who says the dog is "terrorizing" the neighborhood? and what is considered "terrorizing"? I now have a neighbor that was terrified of my dogs, so I introduced them one by one, then 2 then all three and she learned not to fear them when they run to greet her. (we live on an acreage and they live along the driveway)
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

I'm not saying it wasn't a pitbull, I wouldn't know. but i certainly dont think it was any kind of attack or bite from a pitbull. you'd see a lot more damage then just a scrape. playful nip at best, or maybe the kid panicked and did do it to himself as he dropped the bike.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.

Return to “Central Okanagan”