New movie theatre

nepal
Übergod

Re: New movie theatre

Post by nepal »

This is a wonderful addition to Penticton. Out of Canada ownership is nothing new. I will be there and enjoy it. It is an excellent facility. :-) Many businesses here are foreign owned, because the locals haven't done it.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I drove by there about seven thirty last night, the inaugural "cheap night" for the new facility. There wasn't a parking spot for blocks.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
LightShine

Post by LightShine »

Your view of our city as "bottom line" is somewhat myopic, tragically simplistic and dangerous. I would even suggest "a race to the bottom"..fluffy. Comparing China ownership to other countries is like chalk is to cheese,there is no comparison.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

You are every bit entitled to your opinion LightShine, just as I am entitled to give it all the consideration I see fit. Your tendency to argue the person rather than argue the point speaks volumes. You can count on my earnest discussion as soon as you come up with something more relevant than personal criticism and insult. And it wouldn't hurt to be on-topic, this is the New movie theatre thread.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Alex1967
Fledgling

Post by Alex1967 »

The new Landmark Theatre is nothing short of great for Penticton and local area residents.

I want to point out something, or someone actually, who has been missed in all the hoopla.

This theatre has taken years of planning and lobbying. Lobbying Landmark HQ in Calgary to give the green light, then finding a suitable site, then lobbying the CoP to get the necessary approvals in place. Once that part was done it had to be built. The construction co-ordination and timing of the fitting out then had to be done. Materials and supplies coming from all over the world.
All this was spearheaded by one person, Kerri Milton. If you see her around the theatre, not hard to miss with her long red hair, be sure to thank her for her tireless work in bringing this new theatre to Penticton.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

There was a note in the Herald this morning that Kerri and Landmark have parted ways.
Alex1967
Fledgling

Post by Alex1967 »

-fluffy- wrote:There was a note in the Herald this morning that Kerri and Landmark have parted ways.

Wow. Really? I'm not in Penticton so can't get a copy. I'll check online.
Alex1967
Fledgling

Post by Alex1967 »

-fluffy- wrote:There was a note in the Herald this morning that Kerri and Landmark have parted ways.

I can't see it online. Are you able to provide a link or copy and paste?
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Landmark and Kerri M. have parted ways as they are moving in a different direction. Ya, right; I call BS. Reminds me of the Giant and how they treated their employees after the takeover.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

It wasn't an extensive article or anything, it appeared in the "City in Brief" column that regularly appears on page three:

"Landmark Cinema, manager part ways

Exactly one week after the grand opening of Penticton's Landmark 7 Cinema, the theatre's manager and the company have parted ways.
Kerri Milton was told by corporate representatives on Wednesday that her work with the company was greatly appreciated but it had decided to move in a different direction.
Milton was also the manager of the Pen-Mar Cinema and was present at a special gala ceremony held Wednesday."

Quoted with respect to the Penticton Herald.
Alex1967
Fledgling

Post by Alex1967 »

-fluffy- wrote:It wasn't an extensive article or anything, it appeared in the "City in Brief" column that regularly appears on page three:

"Landmark Cinema, manager part ways

Exactly one week after the grand opening of Penticton's Landmark 7 Cinema, the theatre's manager and the company have parted ways.
Kerri Milton was told by corporate representatives on Wednesday that her work with the company was greatly appreciated but it had decided to move in a different direction.
Milton was also the manager of the Pen-Mar Cinema and was present at a special gala ceremony held Wednesday."

Quoted with respect to the Penticton Herald.

Thanks Fluffy.
livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

XT225 - are you still going on about the 'Giant Takeover?" these 2 situations are entirely different and there was no 'Takeover' of Giant. There was a willing seller and a willing buyer. Who are you still mad at, The Robinson's for selling and making a couple million or Newcap for buying and putting several million in the local economy....seriously.

As far as Kerri being let go, I never met her but understand from colleagues that she did a very good job so it is a bit of a head scratcher. She also appears to be quite well known so I hope someone will snap her up quickly.
LightShine

Post by LightShine »

Alex1967 wrote:The new Landmark Theatre is nothing short of great for Penticton and local area residents.

I want to point out something, or someone actually, who has been missed in all the hoopla.

This theatre has taken years of planning and lobbying. Lobbying Landmark HQ in Calgary to give the green light, then finding a suitable site, then lobbying the CoP to get the necessary approvals in place. Once that part was done it had to be built. The construction co-ordination and timing of the fitting out then had to be done. Materials and supplies coming from all over the world.
All this was spearheaded by one person, Kerri Milton. If you see her around the theatre, not hard to miss with her long red hair, be sure to thank her for her tireless work in bringing this new theatre to Penticton.

..and ask her if she was aware of its Chinese connection
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

livewire wrote:XT225 - are you still going on about the 'Giant Takeover?" these 2 situations are entirely different and there was no 'Takeover' of Giant. There was a willing seller and a willing buyer. Who are you still mad at, The Robinson's for selling and making a couple million or Newcap for buying and putting several million in the local economy....seriously.

As far as Kerri being let go, I never met her but understand from colleagues that she did a very good job so it is a bit of a head scratcher. She also appears to be quite well known so I hope someone will snap her up quickly.

Any company/corporation that uses present employees during a takeover/buyout/sale...whatever and then dumps them immediately afterwards is under suspicion in my opinion. Livewire, then YOU figure out why they would let someone who did such a good job as Kerri, go, just like that. I know what the right wing will say - oh, its just the best business decision. Garbage!
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

Lol ... but it probably WAS the best business decision. You may see that as 'garbage' ... but a business person would see it differently. Hey, I thought this thread was about Penticton's fabulous new movie theatre ... gotta like that!

Return to “Central Okanagan”