City of Kelowna and Interior Health MOU

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: City of Kelowna and Interior Health MOU

Post by GordonH »

vinnied wrote:Maybe off topic a but from the original thread, but not sure what the thinking is with the city and parking downtown. Perhaps they just want everyone to start taking transit to work would be my first guess.
id be curious to know how many parking spots were given up with the new, what are they about, 15, 20 foot long parallel parking spots on bernard.
damn near impossible to get a spot now unless you drive around for 15 minutes, and then if nothing is to had by then you just give up and take your business elsewhere. Feel sorry for the businesses down there.

Angle parking on Bernard had a total of 196 parking spot from Richter to out front of Earls restaurant. I posted the current amount somewhere in forum I believe its about 1/3 that number if not less.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Queen K wrote:If you sat there at Capri and have seen many work cars then you have too damn much time on your hands.

Those work cars as you call them do not just sit there all day if they belong to those I have listed as above. Like I said, there is a small percentage of people whom do not have to travel at random times through out the day.

And since you are there, have you noticed the dinkiest bike rack ever? The particular bike rack is a prime target for bike thieves. I know because I follow several sites in regards to theft in this regard. It's a prime target for bike theft there. Do you see an enclosed bike cage like they have at KGH? No? Right. And even at KGH it isn't effective.

I don't know how you can determine who needs their car and who doesn't. How much time do you have on your hands anyways?

Relax a bit , you either posted in haste, or did not get the meaning of my post.
I saw the work cars, leaving in droves in the am , going to their assignments..
I cant determine who needs their car and who does not, i made a suggestion .. If peopke can commute from as far as Summerland to here , and from here to Predator Ridge by bike, then I hazard a guess that more folks may be capable of riding part of the year than are at present.
What do you do if you cant park your car ..complain.. Well maybe you have to ask for more secure bike racks..
If I can commute 7 k or more..months of the year on a hundred dollar bike, I am pretty sure others can..
How much time do I have on my hands..apparently enough to go to IH CAT at Capri to get treated for something, perhaps it would serve the workers there well to not slag their patients...
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ I would suspect a majority of IH employees who do house calls, do so in their own vehicles.
Only few get actual IH vehicles to use.
Now those who never leave IH offices & live within reasonable distance could ride bicycle to from work or use transit.
We will see how many do.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Retrosnap
Board Meister

Post by Retrosnap »

Just to clear up a few things:

IH is leasing 410 spots from the city in the parkade currently under construction across the street.

30 will be reserved 24/7. 380 will be allocated for employee parking, Monday - Friday from 6am to 6pm. Outside of those hours, the spaces will be avaiable to the public

There will be 80 spots within the new building that will be used for patient/client parking, pickup and drop off, as well as handicapped parking.

Because the spots in the parkade are leased from the city, IH will be charging the city rate to employees, currently $77/mo. This is a big increase from the rates the employees who have spots currently pay.

Approximately 800 staff will be located in the building. Passes will be allocated on a lottery system until all 380 spots are drawn. Everyone after that will go on a waiting list. They will NOT be giving out more passes than parking stalls.

Everyone who works at IH who has parking, pays for it. The only exception is at Capri. My own feeling is that if IH could charge for parking at Capri, they would, but they are prevented from doing so under the terms of their lease with RG properties.
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ the new word at IH should be 2 words:
Car pool…... car pool and even more car pool.

Added later: I wonder how many will be working at the New Innovation centre
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Retrosnap wrote:IH is leasing 410 spots from the city in the parkade currently under construction across the street.

30 will be reserved 24/7. 380 will be allocated for employee parking, Monday - Friday from 6am to 6pm. Outside of those hours, the spaces will be avaiable to the public.

Yup, that will really be of benefit the downtown retailers who are open 9-5 and and their customers who's taxes and land are being used to build this facility.
Rosieodonell
Fledgling

Post by Rosieodonell »

So currently the downtown core is hurting for business because people are not utilizing the businesses. You are cramming 900 new moderate to high salary individual into the area and they will use the local shops and eateries. Those same people pay taxes and pay for their own parking. I think the businesses will be welcoming the new arrivals.

I personally want to stay away from the area with that many people since the core is terrible right now to move around. Car pooling would be nice but most of these people have to keep weird schedules, meet clients or repair health sites.

I guess we will have to wait and see how good/bad it will be.

Also, IHA overall will save money since they don't have to have so many facilities for the corporate side of it. I think its more of a win win from a tax payers point of view. What you will see in the months after it opens is workers from IHA complaining of having to work down there.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Rosieodonell wrote:So currently the downtown core is hurting for business because people are not utilizing the businesses. You are cramming 900 new moderate to high salary individual into the area and they will use the local shops and eateries. Those same people pay taxes and pay for their own parking. I think the businesses will be welcoming the new arrivals.

I personally want to stay away from the area with that many people since the core is terrible right now to move around.

The core is congested only because of frustrated drivers/potential customers constantly having to circle around and around looking for parking but don't worry as the frustration mounts and the customers leave so will more businesses.
I hope all the remaining downtown merchants are happy to get a whole 900 potential customers even though you and most of the rest of the population of this 100,000 plus community doesn't want to go near the area because there is no place to park while they shop or eat?
Coconut11

Post by Coconut11 »

Piecemaker wrote:This week I had cause to go through the Ellis/Doyle intersection. Was strange to drive in Kelowna and feel closed in.( No doubt it was made worse by the construction barriers that will one day be removed.)
I also wonder how outpatients are going to be well-served at that address, but I'm not privy to the parking plans.
As for the employees, it is probably the hope of IHA and the City that bus ridership increases, carpooling becomes popular and cycling and walking are possible for some. Not all employees need to have their vehicle available while they are at work and at least the Queensway exchange is close. We are all so used to riding around in solitude in our metal and plastic boxes on wheels.

Yes, paid parking is expensive and I wouldn't want to have to pay it. At least it is a tax deduction which is I know, a small comfort.

The Telus building is quite a ways down Ellis and is not going to add to the congestion near Doyle.

I worked downtown for 9 years. Parking is not a tax deduction :(
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

GordonH wrote:^^^ the new word at IH should be 2 words:

Carpooling would only work for those who have no need to leave the building.
Last edited by Queen K on May 4th, 2016, 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:^^^ the new word at IH should be 2 words:

Queen K wrote:Carpooling would only work for those who have no need to leave the building.

Those whom have a different type of scheduling needs, such as LPNs, RNs, Supervisors, Community Home Support, Rehab workers, and a few others, Hell, just about everybody then, needs their own set of wheels. It's providing a timely, safe and comfortable service in a home which rules here, with all the equipment needed, which rules. And needs change in an instant. Schedules are fluid like you can not believe.

The city is doing same thing with those who work in downtown area, as KGH does with there employees. Total lack of needed parking.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

So lemme get this straight.
800 potential staff. 410 spots, 30 reserved, 380 left for staff and patients
did anyone mention to these guys there numbers dont add up.
LOl this will be interesting to see unfold.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

The numbers only have to add up in theory..not in real life... As we have seen before..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:The numbers only have to add up in theory..not in real life... As we have seen before..

How many total parking spot are added by new parkade & the addition to library parkade. How many is that

Then add how many employees are moving downtown by IHA and new employees at the new Innovation centre on the other corner. How many is that

Do the 2 figures equal out, if so all is good if not major problems ahead (when there is more drivers then spots).

Added: how does one pick up there kids after work if they ride a bike, not to mention any groceries.
Retrosnap
Board Meister

Post by Retrosnap »

vinnied wrote:So lemme get this straight.
800 potential staff. 410 spots, 30 reserved, 380 left for staff and patients
did anyone mention to these guys there numbers dont add up.
LOl this will be interesting to see unfold.

The 410 spots will be located in the parkade across the street.

In the actual building itself, there will be 80 spots specifically for patients and handicapped visitors.

Nevertheless, that still leaves 400 employees without parking. IT's not that different right now anyway. People from several locations are being consolidated into one. With the exception of Capri, not everyone who works at IH has a parking spot, let alone a free one.

Transit, carpooling, walking and biking are being strongly promoted. Of those 400 employees without parking, I would expect a significant number will make alternate arrangements, but at the end of the day, there will be some unlucky people.

Telecommuting for some staff would be another ideal option, but IH has not shown much willingness in the past, so that remains unlikely
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.

Return to “Central Okanagan”