Consumers Glass 4 years after closure....

Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Consumers Glass 4 years after closure....

Post by Fritzthecat »

gordon_as wrote:About 3 weeks before the announcement , I was giving serious thought to quiting my job there. Decided I couldn't justify quiting such a good paying job. A short time later they made my decision for me. Had lots of very positive and rewarding experiences there , challenged myself and succeeded. Was happy to move on , but it was sad to see the place quiet and empty.

So am I but what really makes me sad is WE as the community, let all those jobs go with out so much as wimper. Nobody seemed to care. 15.4% unemployment in Vernon in March of 2012 and nobody still seems to care. Real estate is is the toilet and again, nobody seems to care. I don't get it. That place sits empty, nobody cares and Vernon is going to Hell. Look at the responses on this thread alone, just a bunhc of *bleep* and "Well it ain't me!" attitude.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

After the shutdown , I was blown away by the number of people that I talked to that had no idea that it had even existed , what we did there , or how big it actually was.
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

Sad. Very, very sad.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

So am I but what really makes me sad is WE as the community, let all those jobs go with out so much as wimper. Nobody seemed to care. 15.4% unemployment in Vernon in March of 2012 and nobody still seems to care. Real estate is is the toilet and again, nobody seems to care. I don't get it. That place sits empty, nobody cares and Vernon is going to Hell. Look at the responses on this thread alone, just a bunhc of *bleep* and "Well it ain't me!" attitude.[/quote]

so go do something with it.
the only solution i see from you is a expectation for the city and taxpayers to keep you working.
do you believe if the place wasnt empty vernon would be a wonderfull happy place?
its not the the" Well it ain't me!" attitude thats the problem it appears its the whining about "well its me".
stop asking for society to hand you a happy life and go make one.
what did you think the city would do? refuse them the right to leave?
create a possible and plausable solution to the problem instead of (in your words) wimpering about it.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Fritzthecat wrote:Gone, scrapped and mleted down into used cars already. O-I made damn sure that building could not be used as another glass plant unless it was totally rebuilt. Consider this: 9 months before they shut it down they invested approx. $3 million into new feeders for the B tank Feeders take the glass from the furnace to the machines. This was to become a giant tax write off! Who says the government has no busniess in busniess?
Capt Awesome grows suddenly real silent....

Well, no, equipment purchases are not giant tax write offs. Capital cost allowance on equipment is at most 10% per year on a declining balance, and often 5 - 8% depending on the type of equipment. That's hardly a giant tax write off to spend $3 million and get a measley maximum $150,000 deduction in the first year (only half rates are allowed in the first year of purchase). So they may save about $45,000 in tax in that first year for investing $3 million, which you said was their 9 month plan - hardly a giant tax savings. Better to buy a GIC than spend $3 million to get $45,000. Sorry to burst your conspiracy theory bubble on a giant tax rip off.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

15.4% unemployment in Vernon in March of 2012???? Is there a link to prove this claim?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Gixxer wrote:15.4% unemployment in Vernon in March of 2012???? Is there a link to prove this claim?

Yup, right here.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Central Okanagan”