Goodbye Ironman

Tony
Übergod

Re: Good bye Ironman

Post by Tony »

LaserDave wrote:Not sorry to see this race end! I don't expect to see the replacement race succeed. I don't think world class athletes' will compete in a race that isn't recognized on a world stage.
Ironman although popular with business owners has always been a hinderance to locals, many times over the years I've been subjected to arrogant attitudes both while trying my best to co-operate with riders on east side road as well as in shopping stores. Apparantly athletes feel they come first in every endevour wether its competeing or just everyday tasks. If you've ever had to cross main st for any reason on Ironman sunday you can see the anger and frustration this inconvienience causes, and now with the inclusion of the Grand Fondo race the inconvienience continues.
If your a profiteer the loss of Ironman is clearly a threat to business, if however your a resident to many this race is more of a nusiance. And yes I fully expect to incur the wrath of race supporters who have no concern for the local town folk who have had enough of this race, there are always two sides to every agenda

For those of you who weren't here at the start of Ironman, there were only 15 participants. Apparently the Challenge is huge in Europe, so maybe we can get a different not so rude class of athlete to it.

Most people understand the inconvenience of Ironman or the Grand Fondo,but if you know about it, plan ahead. Don't go shopping on race day - it's an easy solution.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Good bye Ironman

Post by fluffy »

I agree, for the benefits these functions bring to town we can certainly plan to stay out of the way a day or two a year.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Goodbye Ironman

Post by GordonH »

I look at this way they made this announcement prior to this year race which is good thing, as in past most if not all that competed in todays race will sign up for next years race. So as long as the organizers continue with this sign up sheets there should as many or more next year in Penticton.

No harm done right
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Honda59
Fledgling

Post by Honda59 »

I understand that Council may have had some part in Ironman's demise, as there may be higher financial benefits to the City of Penticton than IMC supplied. No one on Council is seemingly fased by the idea that this will not be supported by many out of town athletes and there will not be the direct economic benefit that has been realized over the last 30 years. Shame on you Council!
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

Honda59 said: I understand that Council MAY have had some part in Ironman's demise, as there MAY be higher financial benefits to the City of Penticton than IMC supplied. Hmmmmm?

That was an awful lot of speculation in one short post Honda59. The final IronMan in Penticton has left many people with mixed feelings. It was an event that grew beyond our wildest dreams ... and has now reached an end. However, the athletes are lined up today to sign up for 'Challenge Penticton'.
I'm not sure how you come up with a 'Shame on Council' for this one Honda ... but how bout you wait till we experience the first Challenge before you paint yourself in to a 'doom and gloom' corner. I have no doubt that the athletes and the community will throw their support in to Challenge Penticton ... just as they have in to IronMan.
Last edited by glassmaster on Aug 27th, 2012, 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

There have been rumblings for years over the amount of money council paid to keep the Ironman in Penticton, I think the fact that the WTC was seeking to significantly increase that expense is a pretty good reason for council to reconsider the arrangement. The big question here is whether or not the Challenge Family will be able to maintain the level of triathlete participation that Ironman enjoyed. Lowering the entry fee any increasing the prize amounts is a pretty good start. It would be interesting to hear some input from the triathletes themselves.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
mountain sky
Fledgling

Post by mountain sky »

over 2600 participants. What is it with only 15?
lea3254

Post by lea3254 »

I have been a volunteer with the Ironman race from day 1 before it was Ironman. The athletes come to Penticton for the race, the volunteers and the community spirit, not the name. I volunteered yesterday and every athlete I talked to said they were coming back next year because it was Penticton that made the race not the name. So heres to the people of Penticton who make the race that people want to come to!
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

lea3254 wrote:I have been a volunteer with the Ironman race from day 1 before it was Ironman. The athletes come to Penticton for the race, the volunteers and the community spirit, not the name. I volunteered yesterday and every athlete I talked to said they were coming back next year because it was Penticton that made the race not the name. So heres to the people of Penticton who make the race that people want to come to!

Well said lea3254! :rate10:
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

-fluffy- wrote:There have been rumblings for years over the amount of money council paid to keep the Ironman in Penticton, I think the fact that the WTC was seeking to significantly increase that expense is a pretty good reason for council to reconsider the arrangement. The big question here is whether or not the Challenge Family will be able to maintain the level of triathlete participation that Ironman enjoyed. Lowering the entry fee any increasing the prize amounts is a pretty good start. It would be interesting to hear some input from the triathletes themselves.

I'm a triathlete and most people I know are happy about the change. Very few, if any, are sad to see the WTC go. And unless you have a shot at winning your age group, you don't have a shot at Kona anyway, so like everyone else has said - Ironman is about the venue, not the brand.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

mountain sky wrote:over 2600 participants. What is it with only 15?

The FIRST Ironman held in Penticton. Not this weeks.
jusme3

Post by jusme3 »

[quote]I agree, for the benefits these functions bring to town we can certainly plan to stay out of the way a day or two a year.[quote] Sorry Fluffy, I usually agree with and appreciate your input and insights. However...Not a lot of locals are inconviened by going "shopping". Some of us have to work. We make our way to the hospital to attend to mainly at this time the athletes who have abused their bodies beyond endurance. In the meanwhile we have locals who are not triaged properly because of the intense conditions that an athlete chooses to put themselves through. Just saying...If you needed emergency care how would you feel about the health care professionals "staying out of the way for a day or two"?
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

jusme3 wrote: Sorry Fluffy, I usually agree with and appreciate your input and insights. However...Not a lot of locals are inconviened by going "shopping". Some of us have to work. We make our way to the hospital to attend to mainly at this time the athletes who have abused their bodies beyond endurance. In the meanwhile we have locals who are not triaged properly because of the intense conditions that an athlete chooses to put themselves through. Just saying...If you needed emergency care how would you feel about the health care professionals "staying out of the way for a day or two"?

Jusme... I understand fully the frustration of having to travel on ironman Sunday, but what Fluffy and I were saying is that if you don't have to go out, don't. Shopping and non essential chores can be done on another day. Since everyone understands that traffic is at a standstill at most intersections, and it takes an extra hour to get anywhere, then allow the time so you don't get frustrated. It's just if you don't have to go out, then don't, which also keeps the amount of traffic down on the road, once again helping those that have to travel get around.
bottleman
Fledgling

Post by bottleman »

Heard on the radio this morning that WTC is looking at locations for Ironman Canada 2013, they said Kelowna, Vernon and Whistler are being looked at. iroman.ca says info about next year's race is coming soon.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

bottleman wrote:Heard on the radio this morning that WTC is looking at locations for Ironman Canada 2013, they said Kelowna, Vernon and Whistler are being looked at. iroman.ca says info about next year's race is coming soon.

I can't see it going to Kelowna. Too busy and folks wouldn't like their highways clogged. Vernon could possibly do it, as Okanagan Lake, if they held it on that lake, is far away from the main corridor. Whistler? Do you know how cold Alta lake is? I think not. Wherever it goes, lets hope that the two agencies can come to an agreement NOT to have the Challenge Penticton and Ironman Canada on the same day. It hasn't worked for the Beach City Cruise and the Elvis festivals on the same weekend; they finally saw the light and are going to separate weekends.

Return to “Central Okanagan”