Goodbye Ironman

glassmaster
Übergod

Re: Goodbye Ironman

Post by glassmaster »

Lol ... that's almost funny Hoot ... you calling me Assmaster. A little juvenile, but funny never-the-less. You made a prediction (which was, of course, negative) ... I simply responded with my own prediction. I think that my prediction has much higher chance of becoming a reality than yours does. However, the topic is Goodye IronMan ... and I had responded in an earlier post exactly how I feel about Penticton giving up IronMan for the Challenge Race. I think that Penticton will make the Challenge a success ... and that Kelowna will have difficulty living up to Penticton's track record with volunteers (if indeed Kelowna does end up with IronMan).
Last edited by glassmaster on Sep 30th, 2012, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

hoot wrote:Typical assmaster, always attacking posters, never addressing the issues, very juvenile.

Personal attack duly noted. (Pot...meet kettle)
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

Is it possible that Hoot is just waiting for someone to mistake his crippling pessimism for witt? Come on Hoot ... lighten up ... smile ... be optimistic about something (anything) that is happening in Penticton.

Meanwhile, back to the topic of IronMan. Say goodbye to IronMan, and give a warm welcome to the new kid, Challenge! I think that the new kid will thrive in Penticton ... and that all the IronMen (and women) will remember their years with us fondly. Penticton, and the volunteers, had a lot to do with the success of IronMan in the Okanagan ... and it can be done again with Challenge.
thepainter
Banned

Post by thepainter »

The Penticton Challenge just got a BIG boost today with the announcement that Whistler was awarded the 2013 Ironman and NOT Kelowna. The Penticton Challenge really dodged a bullet here.

http://www.globaltvbc.com/whistler+to+h ... story.html
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

thepainter wrote:The Penticton Challenge just got a BIG boost today with the announcement that Whistler was awarded the 2013 Ironman and NOT Kelowna. The Penticton Challenge really dodged a bullet here.

http://www.globaltvbc.com/whistler+to+h ... story.html

Absolutely...its a win win for both Penticton and Whistler. Now, Penticton's Challenge race can build numbers AND rely on getting volunteers from Kelowna (something that we count on and greatly appreciate). Whistler is a different market and far enough away that they will easily get the needed volunteers. Its somewhat unfortunate holding both events on the same day but if Penticton moved theirs to the week before, that would interfere with the Apple Triathalon and a week later runs into the labour day weekend. The Whistler decision was the right move in my opinion.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

thepainter wrote:The Penticton Challenge just got a BIG boost today with the announcement that Whistler was awarded the 2013 Ironman and NOT Kelowna. The Penticton Challenge really dodged a bullet here.

Ahhh ... actually I think if the truth be known KELOWNA IS THE ONE WHO REALLY DODGED A BULLET. THERE WAS NO WAY IN HELL THEY COULD HAVE PULLED THIS EVENT OFF!! Good choice by WTC.
DoDo1975
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by DoDo1975 »

Having a volunteer pool is great. What about attracting athletes? Is the pool of athletes large enough to run both of these events 500 km away from each other on the same day?

This was a calculated decision by WTC to attempt to kill the Penticton race imho.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

DoDo1975 wrote:Having a volunteer pool is great. What about attracting athletes? Is the pool of athletes large enough to run both of these events 500 km away from each other on the same day?

This was a calculated decision by WTC to attempt to kill the Penticton race imho.

You have some good points; but I'm just glad that it didn't go to Kelowna. That would've been a lot tougher on both cities. Whistler will likely see their summertime rates skyrocket (when they are usually cheaper) and some may opt for the Challenge Penticton instead. (ok, I know Penticton isn't cheap in the Summer but it IS cheaper than Whistler). I know some folks who have been waiting in the weeds to see where Ironman would go to, before signing up for the Challenge race. Now that its in a different area than the Okanagan, we may see the entries for Challenge go up substantially. Triathaletes love the Okanagan.
tlcruiser1

Post by tlcruiser1 »

This was a cheap shot to Penticton from the outset. It is ridiculous that Ironman would want to run their triathalon with Challenge booked for the same time. Even if Challenge were held on another date, it would be tacky and simply lame if they held their triathalon 20 miles from Penticton. I saw their move as immature and "stick it to 'em" esque. I'm glad it went to Whistler, but I can't say I'm surprised.
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

tlcruiser1 wrote:This was a cheap shot to Penticton from the outset. It is ridiculous that Ironman would want to run their triathalon with Challenge booked for the same time. Even if Challenge were held on another date, it would be tacky and simply lame if they held their triathalon 20 miles from Penticton. I saw their move as immature and "stick it to 'em" esque. I'm glad it went to Whistler, but I can't say I'm surprised.

This is a great example of free enterprise. Pull your head out of where've you have hidden it, and look around, it's a dog eat dog world out there.

I believe that Ironman having run the triathalon in this time frame for the last 25+ years in BC, ie: Penticton, would supersede any new contender wanting to move into their " territory". The only cheap shot to Penticton, would be the decision to eliminate an event that has become synonymous with Penticton as a community. I believe that the decision to hold the Ironman race in Whistler will still have detrimental effect Penticton in the long run.
Words out of your mouth are like bullets out of a gun.
Once they are out, you can't take them back.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Many athletes from Vancouver will choose Whistler over Pentictons simply because it is closer and they can save money by staying at home and drive to the race the day of, or stay the one night only before the race.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Will beinteresting to see, if they release them, the sign up stats for the IM compared to Challenge
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Alex1967
Fledgling

Post by Alex1967 »

Static wrote:Many athletes from Vancouver will choose Whistler over Pentictons simply because it is closer and they can save money by staying at home and drive to the race the day of, or stay the one night only before the race.

Not only that, but Whistler is strong a brand name. I think that IM being at Whistler on the same day as Challenge in Penticton will be detrimental to Challenge.

Not that Penticton isn't, Whistler is stunning in summer with many amenities and far more visually appealing when it comes infrastructure. Whistler Village and environs vs Penticton.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Static wrote:Many athletes from Vancouver will choose Whistler over Pentictons simply because it is closer and they can save money by staying at home and drive to the race the day of, or stay the one night only before the race.

Alex1967 wrote:Not only that, but Whistler is strong a brand name. I think that IM being at Whistler on the same day as Challenge in Penticton will be detrimental to Challenge.

Not that Penticton isn't, Whistler is stunning in summer with many amenities and far more visually appealing when it comes infrastructure. Whistler Village and environs vs Penticton.

Just an add here about Whistler bring either lots of cash or CC with lots of room, it nothing cheap.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Alex1967
Fledgling

Post by Alex1967 »

GordonH wrote:Just an add here about Whistler bring either lots of cash or CC with lots of room, it nothing cheap.

True, but Penticton is also very expensive during IM. Whistler has many more pillows than Penticton, so may be more able to absorb the people. Dollar for dollar though, I do agree with you, Whistler is more expensive.

I see them easily being able to get volunteers.

Return to “Central Okanagan”