Fledgling

Re: Good bye Ironman

Post by livewire »

Well said Zululoca!!!
JayPeeWhy
Board Meister

Post by JayPeeWhy »

-fluffy- wrote:So this might not necessarily be the end of an era so to speak, but possibly more like changing sponsors? The raise will remain the same with the same athletes, but with new management?

Probably a little more far reaching than that. The end of an era but, hopefully, not that much of a change. A different logo and possibly better management. Should be good long term for both athletes and Penticton.

A sponsor change would mean nothing. This is a whole new company.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

Is there a Challenged people category?
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Well, you get my point though eh? Those that are playing this up as some kind of disaster and implying that we are going from a world class race to something akin to a sack race at a church picnic are just being melodramatic, right?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

-fluffy- wrote:Well, you get my point though eh? Those that are playing this up as some kind of disaster and implying that we are going from a world class race to something akin to a sack race at a church picnic are just being melodramatic, right?

Maybe the "challenged" people of the forums could sponsor the event!
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Maybe the "challenged" people of the forums could sponsor the event!

and perhaps win a piece of the prize pie ! apparently , it just got bigger
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
bluemooncanada111

Post by bluemooncanada111 »

Ironman Canada had become a big money sucking corporation in the last couple of years. They tossed the local firms that had put in grueling hours each year to ensure all was up and running for the race day. More money and support demanded from the city with less return. It was just a matter of time until Irionman Canada had to go.
Best of luck to the new people. Great to see this event regaining its local touch.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

The only challenge will be bringing participants from around the world to enter and stay and spend a week or more training while their families bum around town spending money and even more of a challenge will be the survival of the challenge family after its first year! Go city of Penticton!
jusme3

Post by jusme3 »

to bluemooncanada111 welcome to the bored....oops I meant the board. Happy Blue Moon on the 31st! I agree with you that IMC has become a "big money sucking corporation" over the last few years. Sorry Fall, look into the real details IMC doesn't really bring in any more $$$ that it disracts from.
LaserDave

Post by LaserDave »

Not sorry to see this race end! I don't expect to see the replacement race succeed. I don't think world class athletes' will compete in a race that isn't recognized on a world stage.
Ironman although popular with business owners has always been a hinderance to locals, many times over the years I've been subjected to arrogant attitudes both while trying my best to co-operate with riders on east side road as well as in shopping stores. Apparantly athletes feel they come first in every endevour wether its competeing or just everyday tasks. If you've ever had to cross main st for any reason on Ironman sunday you can see the anger and frustration this inconvienience causes, and now with the inclusion of the Grand Fondo race the inconvienience continues.
If your a profiteer the loss of Ironman is clearly a threat to business, if however your a resident to many this race is more of a nusiance. And yes I fully expect to incur the wrath of race supporters who have no concern for the local town folk who have had enough of this race, there are always two sides to every agenda
hoot
Fledgling

Post by hoot »

Let us hope city hall gets any monies due to them up front, before issuing any permits. Once bitten......
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Isn't it the other way round? Doesn't city hall pay for this race?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
hoot
Fledgling

Post by hoot »

Isn't it the other way round? Doesn't city hall pay for this race?

Interesting.
Any idea what it costs the taxpayers?.

Maybe someone can request a copy of the contract between Challenge and the city,according to the Province newspaper our mayor wouldn't divulge any of the details. Transparency at work!
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

Yes the city pays them. Cash and 'in kind', In the negotiations to keep the race here, WTC asked for double. So when they say 'Oh we'd love to keep the race in Penticton', what it boils down to is their greed to ask us for twice as much money and there is and should be a limit to what we can give them. That's what I meant by the city being 'pushed out'.

Return to “Central Okanagan”