Goodbye Ironman

nepal
Übergod

Re: Goodbye Ironman

Post by nepal »

If it stays in BC, then Whistler is a good choice. They have lots of accommodation available during the summer, close to Vancuover, less traffic to disrupt, etc. This would also not conflict with existing events in Penticton, nor Kelowna.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

nepal wrote:If it stays in BC, then Whistler is a good choice. They have lots of accommodation available during the summer, close to Vancuover, less traffic to disrupt, etc. This would also not conflict with existing events in Penticton, nor Kelowna.

Agreed, nepal. Whistler is far enough away to not conflict with Pentictons event (since it doesnt seem like either event is willling to change their date), plus the volunteer base wouldn't be a problem down there. I hope that Ironman executives really understand that trying to get the necessary volunteer base if they held it in Kelowna would be very tough, due to Pentictons event, plus the Apple Triathalon held the week before. I'm really hoping for Whistler or Huntsville to get the nod.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

i dont think anyone in kelowna wants it maybe the mayor does but thats about it ..

they will be lucky to get any volunteers how many ppl have time or care then theres the fact of wtc making cash off the backs of local folks doing the work for free

take it somewhere else
Captain77
Fledgling

Post by Captain77 »

It would be a bad business decision to bring Ironman to Kelowna. My guess is that if it goes anywhere - it will be Ontario.
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

Captain77 wrote:It would be a bad business decision to bring Ironman to Kelowna. My guess is that if it goes anywhere - it will be Ontario.

lronman Canada has already stated that they would prefer to keep the race in the Okanagan, and with Vernon not making the cut, well ..........
Last edited by johnhenry on Sep 30th, 2012, 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Words out of your mouth are like bullets out of a gun.
Once they are out, you can't take them back.
Alex1967
Fledgling

Post by Alex1967 »

Does anyone else have the feeling that the City of Penticton has cut off it's nose to spite it's face with regard to Ironman?
Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

Alex1967 wrote:Does anyone else have the feeling that the City of Penticton has cut off it's nose to spite it's face with regard to Ironman?

You should remember the decision to sever ties with WTC was unanimous and anybody that was involved seemed to support this move though I do find it interesting Steve King has been quiet.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

It appears as if Penticton has shot itself in the foot.
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

In the last few years, there have been numerous letters to the editor (and posts here) ... that were highly critical of what it cost the taxpayer to have IronMan in Penticton. I always saw the race as a positive thing for the local economy ~ but that feeling certainly wasn't shared by everyone. Having the Challenge Race to 'replace' the IronMan is bitter sweet. Thank goodness we have an immediate replacement ... but, it will take some time to build in popularity. Penticton residents helped to make IronMan a success here, and I assume, we can do the same with the Challenge Race. Maybe I just have a strong bias, but I don't see Kelowna as the right spot for IronMan. If it fails there (ie. not enough volunteers) ... it fails very publically. It will always be compared to Penticton if it is in Kelowna. With that said, IronMan is no longer our issue.
No sense looking back ... the best thing we can do ... is, collectively, roll up our sleeves, and help to make the Challenge a huge success for Penticton.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I think as a both a business and political decision it was the right way to go. The change in ownership of Ironman Penticton lost an important local voice on the management end of the race and it speaks volumes that one of the WTA's first moves was belly up to the trough and demand a significant increase in funding. In my opinion that in itself was worthy of an apple and a roadmap. I think there was a growing resentment at what appeared to be a pretty arrogant stance on the part of the WTA wanting to line their pockets even more on the backs of a generous volunteer contribution by the locals, I suspect that it would have been tough to continue to attract volunteers in sufficient number on an ongoing basis with the loss of local ownership. There are already serious doubts being expressed at Kelowna's ability to raise the number of volunteers needed to host the race there. Personally I think this was a good choice on council's part given that they were obviously being forced into a corner by a group who thought their bargaining position was a lot stronger than it really was. It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out in the years to come.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

Static wrote:It appears as if Penticton has shot itself in the foot.

Not again?
Words out of your mouth are like bullets out of a gun.
Once they are out, you can't take them back.
hoot
Fledgling

Post by hoot »

Several posters here have alluded to the costs associated with the City hosting the Ironman, does anyone out there have the figures for the Challenge series and the ironman triathlon?

I'm assuming the policing costs and organization costs will be relatively the same, so what are the "nitty gritty" figures, in other words, is Penticton paying more or less than before.

Or is this another example of the City’s transparency , being obscured by council blowing smoke ......?

prediction : If Kelowna gets ironman, Penticton’s Challenge series will wither on the vine of disinterest.
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

Prediction: No matter how successful the Challenge Race becomes in Penticton .... Hoot will find a way to discredit it.
veesfaninvernon

Post by veesfaninvernon »

If you go to http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Ironman_Canada_2013_P4129089-17 you will see that Ironman and Kelowna are taking a bit of a kicking. The link above starts on page 17 which is around the time the WTC announced the shortlist. It seems there is a huge respect in the triathlon world for Penticton and what it has done for triathlon over the last 3 decades. When Roth Germany changed from an Ironman to a challenge race their race numbers went down to 1,200 competitors. They now max out at 5,000. They also have Ironman Germany in close proximity and they are 1 week apart. I think what glassmaster said, if you collectively roll up your sleeves and show the world that it is still Penticton that is running the race then you will be fine. I live in the Vernon area and I will be down to volunteer for the race. I will be using westside road to bypass Kelowna. If they do end up getting Ironman, that city is going to be mess traffic wise.
hoot
Fledgling

Post by hoot »

Prediction: No matter how successful the Challenge Race becomes in Penticton .... Hoot will find a way to discredit it.

Typical assmaster, always attacking posters, never addressing the issues, very juvenile.

Return to “Central Okanagan”