Goodbye Ironman

bruthabang

Re: Goodbye Ironman

Post by bruthabang »

XT225 wrote:Kelowna council had said that they wouldn't PAY any organization to come into their town to hold events...however how often do politicians REALLY tell the truth and do what they say they will?

Ahhh, but it is all in the fine print. The City will not pay the COMPANY that is hosting the event. But the City will pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in extra policing and many other amenities for the organizers.
veesfaninvernon

Post by veesfaninvernon »

Noticed signs have popped up in Vernon saying "Bring Ironman to Vernon". Haven't heard if the city is putting in a bid. Not even sure where they could put a transition area where they could accommodate 3000 bikes.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

That would be a kick in the butt for Penticton if another valley town hosted the race. Does anyone know how many pepple have signed up for the new race?
livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

When I think about the scope of volunteers, organizing and planning invloved I don't see how any community could be ready to host this event in 11 months. When this race started in Penticton - remember there were only 35 racers (or 25, one of the two). As the race grew, the community grew and learned along the way gradually. I'm sure they will bring in some professional to organize the logistics but rounding up 4000 volunteers in a snap isn't an easy task....
JayPeeWhy
Board Meister

Post by JayPeeWhy »

XT225 wrote: Its also too bad, if Kelowna does get it, that either Ironman or the Challenge Triathalon wont stagger the dates; even by a week. Standing ground and having them on the same day would be nuts.

One of the things I have said all along is that triathon will suffer a watering down of the Penticton event and possibly a watered down event in Kelowna if it goes ahead. But people keep telling me 'it will benefit the community'.

When will people stop seeing dollar signs and think about quality?

I think it will go to Whistler anyway. If you were WTC wanting to market Ironman Canada ..... Whistler pulls at the purse strings as a destination triathlon. Whistler is known globally. I have heard the arguments about not having the right infastructure in place but then we are back to the money / quality argument and we know who wins that one.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

Static wrote:That would be a kick in the butt for Penticton if another valley town hosted the race. Does anyone know how many pepple have signed up for the new race?

1000 last I heard, and that was a few weeks ago. I believe a lot of people are holding off registering until the hear what's going to happen with Ironman as well.
veesfaninvernon

Post by veesfaninvernon »

Kelowna council has confirmed that they will be submitting their bid on September 24th. Kamloops has or will be submitting a bid as well. Whistler is in discussions with stake holders on whether they will submit a bid and Vernon city council will be making their decision on whether to submit a bid this Friday. All bids have to be in by September 24th and a decision will be made sometime around October 10th. Being a two time finisher of Ironman Canada (long time ago 1992 and 94), I hope athletes will choose the incredible race organizers that are in place and the amazing town spirit whether it be the volunteers or the locals that come out and cheer the athletes on over a name.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Vernon appears to be actively pursuing Ironman now. I would think that road closures in that city would be far less disruptive than in Kelowna. I give credit where credit is due and though I am no fan of Dan Ashton, today he did state that Ironman holding it on the same day as Penticton Challenge would be "Predatory". Well said. Makes me wonder though, if Ironman is so stubborn that they will simply not change the date, why could Penticton Challenge not change to a week before or later? Things cannot be THAT set in stone. Someone has to give in and do the right thing. Lets hope it goes outside the Okanagan and it won't be a problem.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

As a resident of Penticton for 24 years, I have never enjoyed the ironman, the week leading up to ironman, or any of the festivities surrounding ironman. HOWEVER, I always did my part and found a project to do at home on the Sunday, and took the kids and dog to see the athletes for the experience on a race route near my home. I think Penticton has lost big, and will have lost double if it goes to another city in the valley.

If anyone has time, the city has a survey on their website concerning the direction of city planning. I hope more people in the 20-39 demographic like myself fill it out. It's open until Sept. 28th.
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

It sure is sad for Ironman to leave Penticton, but the WTC shouldn't compound the problem by holding their 2013 event on the same day, whether it is in Kelowna or Whistler or Vernon or . . . Then no one wins. I don't mind having it in Kelowna, but only if they don't trying to compete directly with the Challenge series or our established Apple triathlon. Hopefully, $$$$ and stubborness won't rule the day.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

XT225 wrote:Things cannot be THAT set in stone.

Tell that to the people who are likely already booking flights & time of work.

TimmyE wrote:It sure is sad for Ironman to leave Penticton, but the WTC shouldn't compound the problem by holding their 2013 event on the same day, whether it is in Kelowna or Whistler or Vernon or . . . Then no one wins. I don't mind having it in Kelowna, but only if they don't trying to compete directly with the Challenge series or our established Apple triathlon. Hopefully, $$$$ and stubborness won't rule the day.

Why not? As of right now, Challenge was here first. WTC is the one who should reschedule or take a hike.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
theseeker
Fledgling

Post by theseeker »

XT225 wrote:Vernon appears to be actively pursuing Ironman now. I would think that road closures in that city would be far less disruptive than in Kelowna. I give credit where credit is due and though I am no fan of Dan Ashton, today he did state that Ironman holding it on the same day as Penticton Challenge would be "Predatory". Well said. Makes me wonder though, if Ironman is so stubborn that they will simply not change the date, why could Penticton Challenge not change to a week before or later? Things cannot be THAT set in stone. Someone has to give in and do the right thing. Lets hope it goes outside the Okanagan and it won't be a problem.

Well I was in Vernon for a week, there seems to be mixed feelings about having Ironman there. But my question is to do with are new I believe it's called "Family Challenge Triathalon" if I'm correct that mean children, so if it's a week later they [tourists] will be heading back to buy school supplies for said children. Just a thought.
hoot
Fledgling

Post by hoot »

Vernon appears to be actively pursuing Ironman now. I

That would be a surprise they already have the Xterra series triathlons held in June .

http://xterraokanagan.com/xterra-vernon-race-info

I believe it's something like the Challenge family series.?

Apparently kelowna has a similar series , or are these events different than Challenge ?.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

theseeker wrote:Well I was in Vernon for a week, there seems to be mixed feelings about having Ironman there. But my question is to do with are new I believe it's called "Family Challenge Triathalon" if I'm correct that mean children, so if it's a week later they [tourists] will be heading back to buy school supplies for said children. Just a thought.

Challenge is a race series - not well known in North America but very big in Europe. The name "Family" has nothing to do with involving children, it's because it is a "family" of iron distance races. http://www.challenge-family.com/ It's an ironman type race, under a different brand.

"Ironman" itself is a brand, not a race distance. It's like Jaccuzi or Kleenex. We know the name and we call all tissue Kleenex, but there are many other brands.
theseeker
Fledgling

Post by theseeker »

KGT wrote:
theseeker wrote:Well I was in Vernon for a week, there seems to be mixed feelings about having Ironman there. But my question is to do with are new I believe it's called "Family Challenge Triathalon" if I'm correct that mean children, so if it's a week later they [tourists] will be heading back to buy school supplies for said children. Just a thought.

Challenge is a race series - not well known in North America but very big in Europe. The name "Family" has nothing to do with involving children, it's because it is a "family" of iron distance races. http://www.challenge-family.com/ It's an ironman type race, under a different brand.

"Ironman" itself is a brand, not a race distance. It's like Jaccuzi or Kleenex. We know the name and we call all tissue Kleenex, but there are many other brands.

Thanks KGT, I now understand what it means.

Return to “Central Okanagan”