Kelowna City Council permanently close Ellis to heavy trucks

Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Kelowna City Council permanently close Ellis to heavy tr

Post by Piecemaker »

I'm guessing that lots of trucks come from the north and would be turning right on Gordon so they don't use more fuel. (Or do they already turn on Gordon?)
No one likes change, but the city has changed since Ellis was first used as the truck route. There have been numerous roadway changes over the years and they always affect some negatively...while the overall plan is more postive.
While it doesn't personally matter to me which route is used, I understand why the City would want to make the change.
It's unfortunate a north-end bridge crossing couldn't have been put in place.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Since I'm neither a truck driver or live in the area of either Gordon Dr or Ellis St.

So I've pick a destination of the Gate to Tolko mill on Ellis:

Southbound trucks on Harvey:
From Harvey & Gordon to Ellis than north to the gate = 3 km
Harvey down Gordon to Clement to Ellis and gate = 3 Km
(traffic lights 2 less)

Northbound truck on Harvey:
From Harvey to the gate on Ellis = 1.8 Km
From Harvey & Ellis to Gordon down to Clement to Ellis on to the gate = 4.2 Km
(traffic lights 2 more)

Distant wise it will only effect Northbound trucks by the amount of 4.8 Km around trip.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

It is really only an issue for northbound trucks, but an issue nonetheless.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

The bigger issue is, you sell off some industrial land to build dwelling units.. Then a few years later those that moved in want to dictate that the original inhabitant/users got to go.. That is the problem..

Both can coexist.. Hold onto your childs hand if they cant stay off the street..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:The bigger issue is, you sell off some industrial land to build dwelling units.. Then a few years later those that moved in want to dictate that the original inhabitant/users got to go.. That is the problem..

Both can coexist.. Hold onto your childs hand if they cant stay off the street..

I agree they could, but the City does not so they can change the rules. Even though opposition to using Gordon was stronger.
City hall already had their minds made-up long before any votes or petitions were signed.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

I think Gordon and Ellis should both allow truck traffic. This will reduce the number of trucks for both roads.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

That's how it's been all along, but clearly the City of Kelowna has another agenda.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

maxx
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by maxx »

Finally.

Best. News. Ever.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Seems to me that to have heavy trucks travelling along a 4 lane road makes more sense than along a 2 lane road. Better for traffic flow and decrease the odds of an accident. In regards to upsetting the people that live along one street vs the other its a lose - lose situation so go with the common sense solution.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Steve-O wrote:Seems to me that to have heavy trucks travelling along a 4 lane road makes more sense than along a 2 lane road. Better for traffic flow and decrease the odds of an accident. In regards to upsetting the people that live along one street vs the other its a lose - lose situation so go with the common sense solution.

With the increase traffic on Ellis once the Interior Health building is built on the corner of Ellis & Doyle, I guess the city felt it is good idea to remove the big trucks out of the area.

Return to “Central Okanagan”