Kelowna City Council permanently close Ellis to heavy trucks

Pookybear
Übergod

Re: Kelowna City Council permanently close Ellis to heavy tr

Post by Pookybear »

Otter wrote:In the not too distant future, that sawmill will be closing down forever. Why go to all the expense and angst moving the "truck route" when it will no longer be a problem in a very short time.

If it's only the condo owners that are upset about the trucks along Ellis, then they should have thought about that before they bought a condo there. I'm on and around Ellis every working day and do not find the logging (or other) trucks a problem. All you have to do is remember that they can't stop on a dime, that the drivers are professionals and you are probably safer with them than some kid in a sports car playing with his Iphone, and it's only a matter of time before those particular trucks are gone.

As for moving the truck route to Gordon, Richter, or even Ethel, those are old, established neighbourhoods with children, elders, and lots of other folk who live, work, and walk along those streets every day. Why should not only their comfort level but also they health and very lives be put at risk so some rich, non-resident condo owners can sit out on their balconies on the odd week-end when they're in town?

Doesn't seem quite fair to me.

:127:

:rate10: well said! Gordon is pretty much all residential and with houses that have been there for many years. Changing the route there would be a mistake and completely unfair to the families that live on the road and the ones that have to cross Gordon to take their kids to school at Bankhead. When this thread first started and the petition was brought up I went on there to try to figure out the people that signed it, I got bored right away but did see a new business on Ellis that does eyelashes was one of the signers. Not sure why the owner feels so entitled to have the route moved to a family area but she won't be getting my business now.
There is a very busy concrete plant on the very busy area of Granville Island. Is there this much whining about that?
tootall23
Fledgling

Post by tootall23 »

Let's get rid of all the high priced help. Scare away all the dirty industry that needs those dirty trucks. Then everyone can enjoy their lattes served by help getiing paid a minimum wage.

First rule of real estate- choose your location carefully! I will enjoy my trip down Ellis street on Monday!
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

Gixxer wrote:The old "mill will be closing" rumor has been going around for years.

Its not closing anytime soon.

I don't think it will close anytime soon either. The Kelowna mill is one of Tolko's largest and they're much more likely to close some of their smaller mills first probably. At the same time though, I have a feeling that the people in Discovery Bay or Waterscapes are going to throw their weight around like its a ball and complain that the mill "stinks" and is a huge eyesore and may get their way in getting it closed. Just like the truck route, the mill was there LONG before any of those high rises were and nobody forced those people to move into those towers in the first place.

If for some reason the sawmill does close, it will be a fateful day for Kelowna. There will be bigger things to lose than the trucks on Ellis. We will lose one of Kelowna's largest employers, and Kelowna will lose its trains too. Its not like they will do the smart thing of keeping those tracks in place for future purposes or for a commuter train service to be established. If that sawmill goes, the railway will go with it. Thats certain. Kelowna's rich rail history will derail right then and there.

Back on topic now, I agree it would be unfair to move the route to Richter or Gordon and punish the people living along there. Trucks were going down Ellis long before anybody was living along there, so if they don't like it, they should find another place to live. At the same time though, this route does slice through downtown and has been for many years.
GreyGoose
Fledgling

Post by GreyGoose »

Kelowna will be much better downtown and the dudes driving in from the North will be a lot happier.

2 winners - Drivers coming in - shorter travel distance and ALL BUSINESSES and RESIDNETS of the Downtown.

Positive Development in putting Downtown on the Map since we are 35% tourist relied upon economically speaking.

Love it! :nyah: :nyah:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Shorter driving distances? Ellis Street isn't closed now.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Methinks someone is celebrating a tad too soon.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Is residnets, a new werd for Whiner..?
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
johnhenry
Übergod

Re: Kelowna City Council Permantly Close Ellis to Heavy Truc

Post by johnhenry »

LordEd wrote:Anybody can spin up one of those petitions for free.

Here's mine, in fact: http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/c ... ruck-route

Just a reminder
Words out of your mouth are like bullets out of a gun.
Once they are out, you can't take them back.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Man, some people are just toooo juvenile ...

Comments from the link above ^^^ about the petition ...
http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/c ... ruck-route

gey goose KELOWNA, CANADA
2 months ago
Liked 0
Because I am a Gay goose and I love trucks.

2 months ago
Liked 0
Because I am a gay goose and I love trucks

Kinda makes a really strong case for not letting computers into the hands of children and immature adults, doesn't it?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

grammafreddy wrote:Man, some people are just toooo juvenile ...

Comments from the link above ^^^ about the petition ...
http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/c ... ruck-route

2 months ago
Liked 0
Because I am a Gay goose and I love trucks.

2 months ago
Liked 0
Because I am a gay goose and I love trucks

Kinda makes a really strong case for not letting computers into the hands of children and immature adults, doesn't it?

Yeah. Not an earnest petition that's for sure.
GreyGoose
Fledgling

Post by GreyGoose »

Now if only we could get parking back on Ellis street the world would be a better place.
No you say, how bout some bike lanes and pedestrian friendly side-walks similar to Bernard?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

GreyGoose wrote:Now if only we could get parking back on Ellis street the world would be a better place.
No you say, how bout some bike lanes and pedestrian friendly side-walks similar to Bernard?

There is parking on Ellis.
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

GreyGoose wrote:Kelowna will be much better downtown and the dudes driving in from the North will be a lot happier.

2 winners - Drivers coming in - shorter travel distance and ALL BUSINESSES and RESIDNETS of the Downtown.

Positive Development in putting Downtown on the Map since we are 35% tourist relied upon economically speaking.

Love it! :nyah: :nyah:

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-83499-1-.htm#83499

No more gin and TONICS downtown for me.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I can't imagine how busy Ellis will get once the construction on the new IH building is started.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Sure thing, Fancy. A thousand vehicles a day several times a day is much more preferable and offers fewer carbon emissions than 400 trucks a day.

/sarcasm off

Our "sustainable" "green" urban planners did this.

Better face reality - money talks and those fancy high-priced Cultural District condo owners don't like trucks. Those trucks belong to the working class.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “Central Okanagan”