Save Penticton Lakeshore Drive and beach

hoot
Fledgling

Re: Save Penticton Lakeshore Drive and beach

Post by hoot »

Blah blah blah IS satire?

Say what ?

I think you're mixing the two posts up, No surprise there , or as my grandpappy used to say , "ya can't fix stupid".

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I agree that option 3 is the most appealing, Leave the parking and traffic flow as is.
Anyone know if the two more recent options are available online yet?

If you can’t ignore an insult, top it; if you can’t top it, laugh it off; and if you can’t laugh it off, it’s probably deserved
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

hoot wrote:
Blah blah blah IS satire?

Say what ?

I think you're mixing the two posts up, No surprise there , or as my grandpappy used to say , "ya can't fix stupid".
Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I agree that option 3 is the most appealing, Leave the parking and traffic flow as is.
Anyone know if the two more recent options are available online yet?

If you can’t ignore an insult, top it; if you can’t top it, laugh it off; and if you can’t laugh it off, it’s probably deserved

Well I guess you'll be broken forever.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Fritzy, you're such a troll
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
hoot
Fledgling

Post by hoot »

Fritzy, you're such a troll

Like I said .

But I find the term "Fritzy" slightly unsettling……….
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

I see there will be a public forum on Wednesday, October 17th at the Convention Center. I hope people get out to attend.
Captain77
Fledgling

Post by Captain77 »

It will be important for people to come to the October 17 meeting. I do believe that counil is listening, and will be quite happy to not spend the millions if that is not what we want. While I support option 3, I do agree think it's time for some major pathway improvements.
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

Captain77 wrote:It will be important for people to come to the October 17 meeting. I do believe that counil is listening, and will be quite happy to not spend the millions if that is not what we want. While I support option 3, I do agree think it's time for some major pathway improvements.

In this thread I completely agree with you on Option #3 and make improvements where reasonably possible to the pathway.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

CTF wrote:
Captain77 wrote:It will be important for people to come to the October 17 meeting. I do believe that counil is listening, and will be quite happy to not spend the millions if that is not what we want. While I support option 3, I do agree think it's time for some major pathway improvements.

In this thread I completely agree with you on Option #3 and make improvements where reasonably possible to the pathway.

I don't understand however WHO's idea the option 1 and 2 were (along with the 7 mil price tag); doesnt sound like it was councils. Even Ashton says there isn't 7 mil in the kitty (though he hasnt said what they DO have available). I would say the city should save up until they HAVE the money in hand or go with option 3 and spend as little as possible and do the necessary repairs and maybe spring for a street sweeper once in a while. The condition of the existing walkway (covered with sand) was not good most of the Summer. Don't forget, there is another push downtown to possibly change back to two way traffic on Main St, widen the sidewalks (that means losing one lane). That won't come cheap and there isn't an endless supply of cash in the present kitty. Maybe time to step back and take stock of what we have; what we want and what is affordable.
supert160

Post by supert160 »

Two years ago COP tendered a revitilization of the east end walkway. It involved straigtening the pathway, removing tripping hazards, improving handicap accessability, and adding some features to the retaining wall that allowed better lake viewing. The received bids were competitive but the city chose not to proceed, citing budgetary constraint.

Judging by the work going on two blocks to the south, I think cancelling the aforementioned work was wise. The replacement of deep services on lakeshore included in the multimillion dollar price tag were in the long range plan. The infrastructure work must proceed. Not investing in necessary services is not an option.

What is in option is how its going to look when its done. The fine finishing placed on these infrastructure upgrades is the most contentious issue of the planning stage. I encourage the people of penticton to provide public opinion on how they want the their city to look. Force the planning architects to proceed with a plan that is afforadable today as well as usable for the citzens and visitors to penticton in the future These decisions require public input. Your going to have to live with it for a long time.

Walking my dogs along the pathway yesterday, or recalling the last time I watched the snowbirds down there, it seems as if the area is quite functional in its current layout. Deserted or crowded the ped. traffice flows well, there is lots of parking, and the two way flow makes a good alternative to HWY 97 for those traveling to the eastside of town. So if it aint broke...

but to my earlier point, the services are going to get done, take advantage of the oppurtunity to encourage the planners to finish it right.
save lakeshore drive

Post by save lakeshore drive »

delete
Last edited by save lakeshore drive on Nov 9th, 2012, 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
save lakeshore drive

delete
Last edited by save lakeshore drive on Nov 9th, 2012, 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
save lakeshore drive

delete
Last edited by save lakeshore drive on Nov 9th, 2012, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Thanks for the info, Cliff. I see that Gary Litke announced that the Govt gave the city 1.2 million as a grant and it can be used for such things as Lakeshore Drive. I have to wonder why all 4 options do not have a specific price tag attached to them? Is the city afraid to state a firm price, knowing how easily things can go over budget? I won't mention which past projects I'm referring to; don't have to. I'm no expert (twobits, where are ya man?) but I would think that 1.2 mil would cover nicely option 3. Anything more would likely have to come from taxes or borrowing and I think the city has enough in debts at this time. I've heard that the city may try to pitch option 4, moreso than 3. The only GOOD thing about 4 is the removal of those idiotic mounds in Lakawana Park. Who was the moron that dreamed up that fiasco, anyways? Option 4 needs more study but I believe that it involved the loss of more angle parking, which people may not agree to. I personally think that due to public outcry and loss of present revenue, the city should drop both 1 and 2 and concentrate on 3 and 4. Just my take on things. Hope for a good turnout on Saturday. Expect a few politicians there, and don't hold back your thoughts that day. I recall the last rally where Vasalaki was getting an earful from several members of the public but at least he is listening. ps: in order to properly understand and cast a vote on all 4 options, they need to be completely laid out with firm prices attached to each model.
sundancer1bc

Post by sundancer1bc »

Those "mounds" at the end of Power Street were an overpriced "work of art" from a number of years ago. I always thought it was quite funny. I'm sure someone will remember when we paid for all that "artwork" around town, the pointy rocks at the convention center are another part of it.
sundancer1bc

Post by sundancer1bc »

this should give you some info on the earthworks sculpture
http://www.axisweb.org/artwork.aspx?workid=47723

Return to “Central Okanagan”