Kelowna new downtown

60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Re: Kelowna new downtown

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Went to the cone store to get my orange cones..DANG they were sold out :ohmygod:

The Castaneters musta grabbed them all..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Joe Public wrote:Just a note to those that "like" the new streetlights. Do you realize that they cost $14,000 each, when a standard streetlight is less than $1000? Your tax dollars at work for the city's developer friends and the new waterfront towers. They should be able to get top dollar in such a beautiful tax payer funded area.

That is what "beautification" means I guess. You know in some areas of Rutland, when you walk past a street light they flicker out?
Last edited by Graphite on Nov 2nd, 2012, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

John500 wrote:Hope they have planned parking for motorcycles and scooters. Like so many European cities have had for a long time.

I don't know, but it is being oriented for more pedestrians so maybe not?
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Graphite wrote:
Joe Public wrote:Just a note to those that "like" the new streetlights. Do you realize that they cost $14,000 each, when a standard streetlight is less than $1000? Your tax dollars at work for the city's developer friends and the new waterfront towers. They should be able to get top dollar in such a beautiful tax payer funded area.

That is what "beautification" means I guess. You know in some areas of Rutland, when you walk past a street light they flicker out?

Kelowna powers that be seem to have a real knack for spending large money on things such as this....no?
Sure do love Rutland!!
Wave101
Fledgling

Post by Wave101 »

It would have been nice if they removed all parking and made the side walk much larger. Add a parking garage somewhere on the street to make up for the lost parking space.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

That was done in Vancouver with Granville. Only busses were allowed. Not sure if that is still in effect. Dont think so.
taktics

Post by taktics »

oh boy, can't wait to try to do my job down there with next to no parking,my office is my work vehicle
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Joe Public »

Joe Planner and Grandma....

The base is the same and the installation is the same so we're only talking about material costs.

T2 6.5m galvanized pole from Nova Pole is $560 C/W bolt kit. T2A arm is $280. 150WHPS fixture C/W lamp is $200. Wire is $50. Sorry, that runs a little over $1000, so I guess that you are correct.

I find it difficult to understand why the city needs $14,000 light poles, as do the taxpayers I suspect. Perhaps we should ask them? So where do you buy your equipment?
Neroicco

Post by Neroicco »

Civil Engineers typically allow $4 to $6,000 per pole installed in the ground... never seen anything commercial go in for anything close to $1000...

Not unusual to see some expensive equipment in high end mainstreet projects... especially tourist towns. IIRR Banff dropped something in the order of $23Mil on on their mainstreet project which I think was a bit shorter than the Bernard redo...

More trees and wider sidewalks alone is going to be a great improvement!
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Joe Public »

Neroicco...

Your calculations are correct, but we aren't talking about installation. We are talking stricktly about the material price of the streetlight poles and these new ones are $14,000 each, most likely because they are being custom built. Underground work and installation is extra. As well, do we really need rope lighting on everything? And stage lights that project on the sidewalks?

Really, when do you think taxpayers have had enough overspending under this council?
Neroicco

Post by Neroicco »

Yes fairly pricey then, they must be pretty fancy...any idea what percentage of the overall project cost these take up?

What and where are the rope and theatre lights?? sounds a little 'Vagas' but I will probably enjoy these more than the 15 mil parkade!

N
damngrumpy
Übergod

Post by damngrumpy »

I read with interest the people who don't like the lighting or the lack of parking
which will get worse and say that is only part of the problem. As for parking it
will impact local business down there. The people with the money by and large
are older folks. They won't be using the parkade its too far to walk. I am older
I could but I won't. My wife is not well and she couldn't walk that far. This was
not well thought out at all in my view.
The biggest problem for the Downtown is the lack of a significant anchor store.
That right a high traffic mass merchandise outlet. Oh I know they are concentrating
on local boutiques and specialty stores but that won't do it you still need a big outlet
to draw people downtown.
There has to be some way to assist handicapped and other frail people as well. If you
go to Walmart or Superstore, and some others like Orchard Park Mall they have the
scooters for those with mobility problems they get my business because they care
about not only their bottom line but about customers who need that service and those
customers are a little older and have more disposable income.
GreyGoose
Fledgling

Post by GreyGoose »

Downtown will be beautiful!

One thought with Interior Health is that it should be built on the City owned lot on the corner of Ellis and Lawrence as this property allows possibly 3 or 4 underground parking flats whereas the property they are currently suggesting does not.

IMHO
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

GreyGoose wrote:Downtown will be beautiful!

One thought with Interior Health is that it should be built on the City owned lot on the corner of Ellis and Lawrence as this property allows possibly 3 or 4 underground parking flats whereas the property they are currently suggesting does not.

IMHO

3 or 4 levels underground? Have you considered the water table in that area?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

GreyGoose wrote:One thought with Interior Health is that it should be built on the City owned lot on the corner of Ellis and Lawrence as this property allows possibly 3 or 4 underground parking flats whereas the property they are currently suggesting does not.IMHO

Irrelevant isn't it? The decision has been made.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Central Okanagan”