Kelowna new downtown

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Kelowna new downtown

Post by Fancy »

I don't get why they were put there then - I thought the work was complete (by Shoppers Drug Mart).
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
KelownaCC
Fledgling

Post by KelownaCC »

I hope the work is not complete on that section - they still have not put in any bike racks.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

I hope the work is not complete on that section - they still have not put in any bike racks

did you put in a request for service into the city?
Peace be with you.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Fancy wrote:I don't get why they were put there then - I thought the work was complete (by Shoppers Drug Mart).

Castanet posted an article were about people complaining about the new light standards, but they never bothered to ask anyone involved with the project about them. If they had they would have known that the complaining was all for not because the lights were set up with cheap non-perminent fixtures as a quick means of lighting the project before the work was done.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Glacier wrote:Given the fact that they are temporary, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Fancy was referring to the curbstands. Why would you think they are temporary ? I saw them, doesn't seem temporary to me.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

They seem to match the designs in the sidewalks.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Glacier wrote:Castanet posted an article were about people complaining about the new light standards, but they never bothered to ask anyone involved with the project about them. If they had they would have known that the complaining was all for not because the lights were set up with cheap non-perminent fixtures as a quick means of lighting the project before the work was done.

Castanet had a poll about the new light fixtures ( January 10 ).I do believe people were complaining about the light polls that looks like clothespins. They are permanent.
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:I do believe people were complaining about the light polls that looks like clothespins. They are permanent.

Absolutely. I find it hard to believe that nearly half the people responding to the poll actually liked them. They're horrible and make the whole downtown look like an old rural railway crossing. Yuck!
It Is When People Forget God That Tyrants Forge Their Chains - Patrick Henry
It's the Marxists, Stupid!
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

What's a curbstand? I googled it and didn't see anything appropriate to this conversation.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

grammafreddy wrote:What's a curbstand? I googled it and didn't see anything appropriate to this conversation.

Good question. They stand on a curb ? The best I can deccribe it, it's a huge Olympic torch ( the shape of it, the one used for the Winter Olympics 2010 ) made of steel ?? you can see through it .. with a design in the middle. Someone said once that they lit up at night. The ones I saw were at the corner of Bernard and Richter . 4 or 5 on each side near the curb. They are at every intersection. Real purpose ? ... no idea.

This picture shows a curb stand as you look through it.
http://www.castanet.net/news/Bernard-Av ... on-Bernard

Just noticed that you can see one at the 1:58 mark on the video. Behind the lady who's talking.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

There seems to be a bit of polarization taking place regarding the design of the downtown area. Those who are tied to their cars and the vehicle enabled 'fast' transportation way of life seem reluctant to see a plan that, through inconvenience, dissuades them from freely accessing the downtown area. Those who see the downtown area as a highly 'pedestrianated' area seem far more comfortable with the new vehicle limiting design. Downtown businessmen seem to be gambling that the decreased downtown vehicular traffic (and drivers) and increased downtown pedestrian any bicycle traffic will result in a net increase in business. Especially during the heavy tourist days of summer when the downtown area sometimes becomes an extension of the park and beach area. Since they bear part of the tax burden required to maintain the city as a desirable area in which to live, I wish them well.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Downtown businessmen seem to be gambling that the decreased downtown vehicular traffic (and drivers) and increased downtown pedestrian any bicycle traffic will result in a net increase in business.
I don't think a lot of the downtown businesses were counting on the fewer parking spots available and some of the businesses are suffering as it is.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Downtown businessmen seem to be gambling that the decreased downtown vehicular traffic (and drivers) and increased downtown pedestrian any bicycle traffic will result in a net increase in business.

Fancy wrote: I don't think a lot of the downtown businesses were counting on the fewer parking spots available and some of the businesses are suffering as it is.

Before they started phase 1 between Richter & St. Paul had 72 parking stalls along Bernard. Now with phase 1 is done how many are their now.
Since I don't go downtown much if at all, if someone could count how many their now would be great to know.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

GordonH wrote:Since I don't go downtown much if at all, if someone could count how many their now would be great to know.

There is a lot fewer.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Fancy wrote:There is a lot fewer.

Yeah, who needs customers down there anyway? Good way to keep the hordes away.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “Central Okanagan”