Kelowna new downtown

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Kelowna new downtown

Post by grammafreddy »

How is the city gonna clean up Lawrence and Leon that way? How many storeys are now, under the new vision, allowable on those two streets downtown?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Joe Public »

The stated intent is to force the marginalized outside of the downtown core by increasing development and increasing the number of "good" residents.

As I've stated, I think that it's just a cover to have taxpayers subsidize the developers.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Joe Public wrote:So there it is folks. Your tax dollars are being used by the city to make the downtown core more attractive for people other than yourselves, to live in. And who will benefit directly from this expenditure? Developers and downtown businesses of course.

You're not supposed to always directly benefit from your tax dollars. I live in Rutland, but it would be nice to have nice clean revamped Downtown core to go shopping or just bum around. I don't demand all my tax dollars to be spent in Rutland - that would be unworkable and kinda stupid.

You should stop getting bent out of shape over your tax dollars. You live in a city where many people's needs have to be addressed, and just because city doesn't dance around you and what you need, doesn't mean they waste money. It just means they're addressing someone else's needs sometimes - like people who live downtown. It's not all about you, you know.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Re New Berrnard.. I cant believe they squished the bike lanes in with the cars. :ohmygod:
I thought with that sidewalk THAT WIDE, there would be a bike lane..like in MODERN cities..

Guess who will still ride on siewalk ?. But Now we can say.. What the other NINE feet are not enough for you?.. Go on a diet *bleep*..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

There is plenty of room on the sidewalks to share with bicycles, strollers, etc.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

kgcayenne wrote:There is plenty of room on the sidewalks to share with bicycles, strollers, etc.

But riding bicycles on the sidewalks is illegal
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I know that, but I'm personally not going to be bent out of shape when there are ZERO bike lanes and only a wide sidewalk available.

I have hope that some people have the sense to slow down.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

kgcayenne wrote:I know that, but I'm personally not going to be bent out of shape when there are ZERO bike lanes and only a wide sidewalk available.

It's good that you wouldn't get bent out of shape about it, but the issue would be about whether the cops are going to get bent out of shape about it.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

kgcayenne wrote:I know that, but I'm personally not going to be bent out of shape when there are ZERO bike lanes and only a wide sidewalk available.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Old-as-dir ... t-watching

Our Jo would have fun with that one :D
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Yeah but better alive than. Not, I have been run over already..
Being right and legal in a coffin has no future..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Joe Public »

Captain Awesome...

Well, aren't you an *bleep*.

Could you please be so kind as to explain how $14,000 glowing street light poles are meeting someone else's needs and why I shouldn't be complaining about them? And BTW, it not all about me at all as I don't pay any Kelowna taxes. Someone has to speak up and defend the rights of uninformed people such as yourself.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

kgcayenne wrote: I have hope that some people have the sense to slow down.

Sorry but have you seen the caliber of the majority of people who presently ride their bikes on the sidewalks downtown?
Common sense is as lacking with them as are their jobs or their ambition to get one and leave the drugs and crime most are involved in.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

zzontar wrote:It's good that you wouldn't get bent out of shape about it, but the issue would be about whether the cops are going to get bent out of shape about it.

Let's hope the cops do their job and start handing out tickets. If the "new downtown" is cycle unfriendly then don't cycle there and register a complaint with City Hall.
Just because a person may feel a situation is unsafe does not give them the right to break the law.
"I'm sorry Your Honor but I felt driving my car on the street was unsafe so I chose the sidewalk where there was far less cars to possibly collide with"
Neroicco

Post by Neroicco »

Re: bike lanes - I did ask that question at one of the open houses way back when and the young planner rattled on about how making bikes share the traffic lanes in a downtown street helps slow everyone down...

Havn't heard this before but I suppose it will be true as you wait for the paramedics to clear the mangled bikes off the street!

Perhaps a request for service to the City to ask for clairfication about the reasoning on this is in order?
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

just did a quick drive down.. underwhelmed with the leaning poles, still rather a mess and they are still trying to get things done.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second

Return to “Central Okanagan”