Kelowna new downtown

Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Re: Kelowna new downtown

Post by Mr Danksworth »

[quote="fall" The item we were looking at was 149.99 at the shop and I knew the exact item was on ebay on a bid starting at 22.00 so I asked if she could do any better and was prepared to pay more to shop downtown, she said are you kidding and was rather rude. I tried, and then came home and won the ebay bid on the item for 42.00 plus 18.00 shipped to my door! Places like that make it very hard to shop downtown![/quote]

Congratulations, you found something cheaper on ebay. As a store owner, I can't tell you how rude it is for someone to come into the shop and complain that they can get an item cheaper on the internet and expect me to price match it. In most cases, said items on the internet are less than the cost that I pay for them. It seems to me that some people would rather I take a loss and give them a deal than let them buy it on the internet. Ebay is even worse, it's an auction/clearing house.

These types of people fail to take into consideration the costs of operating a business. Rent, bills. payroll, and a myriad of other costs add up. Internet storefronts have minimal costs involved, and in the case of Ebay, no costs at all. An item on Ebay could have been free to the person selling it, hence the low cost. To expect a local buisness to shoulder that burden is ridiculous.

All that I can say is that if you can find it cheaper on the internet, go for it. It's not my place to tell you where you should spend your money. I am thankful that there are enough people who understand what supporting local business actually means.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Personally, I have begun purchasing my footwear away from the mall franchises. It's worth every penny too, mall quality vs merchandise chosen by the store owner at a good old trade show. Now I order the disposable mall garb clothing on-line for a discount and seek out distinctive, long-term items elsewhere, including downtown, with the savings.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Well, we took a stroll yesterday around new Bernard, and it looks beautiful. I like the huge sidewalks, and the lights are pretty cool too. Though I'm not sure about the entrance lights, will they be like this all the time? Cause right now they look like candy canes, and it might be a just a seasonal thing. Overall, looks really good. Hope the rest of it will look just as nice.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

The lights are seasonal. When they were first installed they changed colours. I think they did a nice job too.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Those lightsabers are an eyesore. They do not make sense, and are cheap and cluttered looking. I wish the money used for that was spent elsewhere.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Cheap???!!! Hey - those might be the $14,000 each lights!
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

jennylives wrote:The lights are seasonal. When they were first installed they changed colours.

Oh, good. Candy canes year round might have been an overkill.

We did notice two spotlights pointing at the pavement with no apparent purpose though - don't know why they're there.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Congratulations, you found something cheaper on ebay. As a store owner, I can't tell you how rude it is for someone to come into the shop and complain that they can get an item cheaper on the internet and expect me to price match it. In most cases, said items on the internet are less than the cost that I pay for them. It seems to me that some people would rather I take a loss and give them a deal than let them buy it on the internet. Ebay is even worse, it's an auction/clearing house.

These types of people fail to take into consideration the costs of operating a business. Rent, bills. payroll, and a myriad of other costs add up. Internet storefronts have minimal costs involved, and in the case of Ebay, no costs at all. An item on Ebay could have been free to the person selling it, hence the low cost. To expect a local buisness to shoulder that burden is ridiculous.

All that I can say is that if you can find it cheaper on the internet, go for it. It's not my place to tell you where you should spend your money. I am thankful that there are enough people who understand what supporting local business actually means.[/quote]

Why would it be rude for a customer to ask you if you can do any better? you may not have to match the other price but im sure you could do better. You would still make a profit and a happy customer who would come back instead of loosing a sale make no profit and dont move your product. Some people dont like to over pay and why would they when they can find something less. People are not worried about overhead costs they worry about saving money. An item on ebay or other internet places to buy are the same thing and alot less. Its nice if people have money to overpay and dont mind doing so just to support small downtown local businesses I wish I was one of them!
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Ho DID sme folks even survive.. In the days of no inernet...
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

HowDID some folks even survive.. In the days of no internet... :ohmygod:
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:HowDID some folks even survive.. In the days of no internet... :ohmygod:

Easy people were honest and cared about others and life was simpler and healthier!
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Who is not honest on this thread, and who is not caring about others..?

One comes to mind and they are not a retailer..
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

One comes to mind and they are not a retailer..[/quote]

I know I am honest and have no problem speaking my mind, nor am I retailer who charges ridiculous prices for cheap products from China ( in most cases ) and complains if people dont shop downtown. There is a reason they are asking for people to shop downtown, business is slow at certain places and they are just trying to survive as long as they can. The road will be nice for cruising in the summer though! Ill keep cruising to the States and Vancouver to shop!
Last edited by fall on Dec 16th, 2012, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Here is my take on it, you use an example of an item, that you purchased elsewhere, for likely less than the retailer is paying.

Which may or not be the case with most of their stock.
What I am saying, is it isprobably easy to find an example like that, but obviously the retailer has overhead that must be factored into the selling price.
Pretty sure you do not buy everything online.
Pretty sure, that if you told us what you do for an income, someone could come along with a reason not to support that..
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Here is my take on it, you use an example of an item, that you purchased elsewhere, for likely less than the retailer is paying.

Which may or not be the case with most of their stock.
What I am saying, is it isprobably easy to find an example like that, but obviously the retailer has overhead that must be factored into the selling price.
Pretty sure you do not buy everything online.
Pretty sure, that if you told us what you do for an income, someone could come along with a reason not to support that..

No I dont buy everything on line of course, I do buy alot though and look around for the best prices on something I am buying say over 100 dollars, Im all for saving money and spending it wisely even if that means not supporting downtown or local. I know retailers have overhead and that is their choice when running a small business in a risky economy. I am more worried about saving for my kids future and mine with more money in the bank, house paid off quicker etc. Income for me is health care related.

Return to “Central Okanagan”