Kelowna new downtown

janalta
Übergod

Re: Kelowna new downtown

Post by janalta »

kgcayenne wrote:Winter here is wet, dreary and not much looks good, so maybe take another look in spring when all the scenery brightens up around here.

Will spring make the light posts stop looking like ugly salvaged old railway crossing arms?
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Post by GenuinelyInterested »

Spocky wrote:I think that the hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on those "diagonal flower planters" with the cheapo light show inside would have been much better spent in fixing up potholed roads or providing subsidized housing for the families that live in sheds.

How far can $100,000 go towards "subsidized housing"? $200K won't even buy one apartment in Kelowna.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Personally, I like them. Looking forward to the rest of Bernard St. makeover.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

I do not like the lights at all, especially the light sabers. I agree the money should have been used somewhere less frivolous.
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

GenuinelyInterested wrote: How far can $100,000 go towards "subsidized housing"? $200K won't even buy one apartment in Kelowna.

If each light is $14K, then there is a whole lot more than $100K that has been blown for what are arguably the ugliest street lights in the province.
It Is When People Forget God That Tyrants Forge Their Chains - Patrick Henry
It's the Marxists, Stupid!
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Will spring make the light posts stop looking like ugly salvaged old railway crossing arms?

thousands more in flowers to hide them
Peace be with you.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

I thought they might put up screen printed flag things during the off seasons? Probably will be hard though because they are slanted
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Captain Awesome wrote:Personally, I like them. Looking forward to the rest of Bernard St. makeover.

Me too!
Neroicco

Post by Neroicco »

I bet those devious masterminds at City Hall purposely put these light poles in anticipating the unknowing populace would become fixated on them and forget their complaints about the parking changes, business disruption, the whole Interior Health parkade debacle etc etc.

Well played City Hall, but your dastardly scheme is now exposed! People rise up and throw down the evil lightsabre/catapult/clothespeg/birdpoopencouraging/Railwaycrossingarm poles!! :skyisfalling:
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

It seems those light sabers have given some posters the power of sarcasm.giving them the power to fend off honest critique. a ha now we know what the light sabers are for they are sarcasmsabers.
Peace be with you.
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Joe Public »

Not too difficult to see that Gray is back as we watch out tax dollars vaporize....
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Captain Awesome wrote:Personally, I like them. Looking forward to the rest of Bernard St. makeover.

It's Bernard Avenue. Sorry, it's a pet peeve. It also drives me nuts when people call Lakeshore Road, Lakeshore Drive.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Joe Public wrote:Not too difficult to see that Gray is back as we watch out tax dollars vaporize....

Because the downtown refurbishment plans weren't originated under the previous mayor...
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Because the downtown refurbishment plans weren't originated under the previous mayor...

whose bright idea was it too destroy our funky heritage streets and make car and bike transit more difficult.
Peace be with you.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

After driving through it I believe that other than wasting money, narrowing the road, fouling up the parking, and those ugly light poles, it's rather Ho Hum.
Black Dogs Matter

Return to “Central Okanagan”