City to put bus stop in front of my house?

Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: City to put bus stop infront of my house?

Post by Graphite »

steelrules wrote:
Not so sweet when you have 3 vehicles in the family and they may just close your driveway and your on street parking.

You have parking in the rear? Looks like people all over Kelowna are loosing parking these days. But hey, if its city property to begin with, you do not own it anyways.
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

You have parking in the rear? Looks like people all over Kelowna are loosing parking these days. But hey, if its city property to begin with, you do not own it anyways.

It may be city property but can they take away legal acess to your property?

I'm pretty sure they will re-think the location when they realize power poles will have to be moved and services buried, that there is already a bus stop within 300 ft, and when they finish the bus turnaround there will be a second stop within 300 ft in the other direction, that they could put the stop infront of city owned property, or that it could be placed adjoining commercial property instead of residential.
Anyway I will not give up my driveway without compensation.
"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves"
Edward R Murrow
Now a proud member of the NRA & Canadian Sport Shooting Association.
Sic Semper Tyrannis
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

MAPearce wrote:
Ok ..Maybe not so sweet for you. But since I gave up my car ( a 1980 volvo wagon with a small block 350 ) and started taking the "looser cruiser" , I got LOTS more money ...

I can only imagine how much 3 vehilces cost to insure , maintain and fuel.I love having a bus stop out side my front door.

Take the bus for a month and realize the savings. You'll get used to the "noise"..

I dare you.

If you have NO life whatsoever, public transit is for you. :127:
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Rwede wrote:

That's just rude.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

steelrules wrote:It may be city property but can they take away legal acess to your property?

I'm pretty sure they will re-think the location when they realize power poles will have to be moved and services buried, that there is already a bus stop within 300 ft, and when they finish the bus turnaround there will be a second stop within 300 ft in the other direction, that they could put the stop infront of city owned property, or that it could be placed adjoining commercial property instead of residential.

Wait, do you want your driveway or do you want money? lol
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Graphite wrote:
Rwede wrote:

That's just rude.

Nope .. just ignorant. What Dick doesn't know is that the family has the mini van. I just don't drive it to work when there is a bus stop out front of my door.

Why bother with all that expense...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

Graphite wrote:
steelrules wrote:It may be city property but can they take away legal acess to your property?

Wait, do you want your driveway or do you want money? lol

Are you here to cause trouble or add something of value to the conversation ?
Edward R Murrow
Sic Semper Tyrannis
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

You know MAPearce, business people have deliveries, daily banking, post office, sales calls, these can't be done sitting waiting for a bus.
Like I said earlier in this topic, the green agenda works for some but not all, Rwede may have been a little rude but he was being realistic, if you have nothing more to worry about than sitting at your station all day, stepping out for a plate of salad at lunch then riding the bus home, then transit works for you!
But it does nothing for the 60% of us that have responsibilities outside of the office during the day.
Edward R Murrow
Sic Semper Tyrannis
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

steelrules wrote:I'm pretty sure they will re-think the location when they realize power poles will have to be moved and services buried, that there is already a bus stop within 300 ft, and when they finish the bus turnaround there will be a second stop within 300 ft in the other direction, that they could put the stop infront of city owned property, or that it could be placed adjoining commercial property instead of residential. Anyway I will not give up my driveway without compensation.

It's happened more than a few times that something will be planned because it looks good on paper but then changed because it's not practical once on site.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
sassybee
Board Meister

Re: City to put bus stop in front of my house?

Post by sassybee »

Had a bus stop RIGHT in front of my house. 8 years later, I never got used to the noise. Couldn't sleep with the window open because of the noise of the bus. Yes, sometimes they stop and block your driveway, but the good news it's only for a minute, and most of the drivers are very considerate.
You will have a mess of garbage, tim hortons cups, and cigarette butts all over the place. Once a week you will go out and pick up all the butts and garbage, because no one else does.
I sold my house.
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

sassybee wrote:Had a bus stop RIGHT in front of my house. 8 years later, I never got used to the noise. Couldn't sleep with the window open because of the noise of the bus. Yes, sometimes they stop and block your driveway, but the good news it's only for a minute, and most of the drivers are very considerate.
You will have a mess of garbage, tim hortons cups, and cigarette butts all over the place. Once a week you will go out and pick up all the butts and garbage, because no one else does.
I sold my house.

Good post, yeah I see the mess and noise coming too, it's already bad just with having junk food stores nearby.
Edward R Murrow
Sic Semper Tyrannis
kiwi_bird_man

Post by kiwi_bird_man »

Where is this proposed location?
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

steelrules wrote:You know MAPearce, business people have deliveries, daily banking, post office, sales calls, these can't be done sitting waiting for a bus.
Like I said earlier in this topic, the green agenda works for some but not all, Rwede may have been a little rude but he was being realistic, if you have nothing more to worry about than sitting at your station all day, stepping out for a plate of salad at lunch then riding the bus home, then transit works for you!
But it does nothing for the 60% of us that have responsibilities outside of the office during the day.

Then have parking provided and funded by your buisness ?? I don't see how a bus stop on a public road could impede you for any more than 90 seconds every 30 minutes when you do have responsibilites outside your house.

Your deliveries , sales calls, post office trips and banking runs can be done at the same time to not only save gas and time but also get you away from that henious bus stop for longer ..

It's just a bus stop..not a brick wall.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
kiwi_bird_man

Post by kiwi_bird_man »

steelrules wrote:The city has in it's plans to put a bus stop infront of my and my neighbours houses, essentially blocking 2 driveways and getting rid of our on street parking, my question is can this be stopped and how does it effect my property value?

Opinions please.

Where is this supposed to be?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Considering this is personal information, don't expect an answer. I don't think the location really matters except to the homeowner (rightfully so).
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Central Okanagan”