Penticton Regional Hospital upgrades and expansion

twobits
Guru

Re: Penticton Regional Hospital upgrades and expansion

Post by twobits »

nepal wrote:And those sizeable yearly lease payments, interior finishing, furniture...are paid for with...?
:9923:

The point is that the money is not coming out of capital funds but rather operating funds so it cannot be said that the Kelowna tower is in competition with Penticton's tower expansion for funding. I want to see the Penticton expansion as badly as you but you are pointing your finger at the wrong culprit. You would be correct to complain about the Vernon hospital jumping the "cue" as they were lower on the priority list for capital funding.
From what I understand about the new IH office tower in Kelowna, it is a consolidation and amalgamation of a number of different buildings and properties across Kelowna into one central building. The lease payments on all those smaller locations will now be put towards the new building lease. To be honest, it makes sense from both an efficiency and business standpoint.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
jimsenchuk
Lord of the Board

Post by jimsenchuk »

Dr. David Paisley, president of the Pent. Medical Society, says doctors were really disappointed hospital expansion wasn't in the provincial budget.
Dr. David Paisley, president of the Pent. Medical Society, says doctors were really disappointed hospital expansion wasn't in the provincial budget.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#87676
The only effective answer to organized greed is organized labor.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Penticton was mentioned in the Legislature today during the budget debate.

(Draft version)

Hon. R. Coleman: My mom is 93 years old. She raised six kids. {...} She's now in care in Langley, but I should say when she fell and broke her hip recently…. She lived in her own home since 1957. She went into care in the Penticton memorial hospital, where two of my siblings were born. I know there's some controversy about that hospital, but I thought it was pretty good. I always thought of it as the new Penticton hospital, so maybe that's aging me relative to the city of Penticton, where I grew up.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Drip_Torch wrote:Penticton was mentioned in the Legislature today during the budget debate.

(Draft version)

Hon. R. Coleman: My mom is 93 years old. She raised six kids. {...} She's now in care in Langley, but I should say when she fell and broke her hip recently…. She lived in her own home since 1957. She went into care in the Penticton memorial hospital, where two of my siblings were born. I know there's some controversy about that hospital, but I thought it was pretty good. I always thought of it as the new Penticton hospital, so maybe that's aging me relative to the city of Penticton, where I grew up.

And............
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

mom_of_two_girls

Post by mom_of_two_girls »

This is entirely personal: You couldn't pay me again to stay in Penticton hospital. It has nothing to do with the excellent nurses and doctors who work there and everything to do with a crumbling building on it's last legs, piece-working rooms to serve under the worst conditions.

I have had 3 stays in Pen H in the last 4 years for an ongoing illness. My Mother as well had similar experiences when she was dying and thank god was transferred to hospice (which was extraordinary).

Each time I offered to put up extra money for a private or semi-private room. It is however my understanding that those rooms are (rightfully so) reserved for the sickest patients or those who are infectious. That leads us (and I mean most of us) in a ward room of 4. Now I admit, I can be a bit of a prude, but each stay I've had there I've shared rooms with the opposite sex (which I find personally embarrassing). My illness isn't pretty, I have washroom issues, I am usually catheterized which means no underwear, no pajama bottoms, open at the back standard issue hospital pajamas. I usually have an IV Pump and 3 times I have had an epidural pump as well.

Put 4 patients in a room, each with an IV Pump, one with an epidural pump, 2 patients with dementia (god-bless-them) and it all end up with me electing to leave against medical advise 2 days after a major operation simply because I couldn't rest 1 minute. If I had 20 minutes of uninterrupted sleep in 24 hours I would be shocked. The two patients in my room with dementia couldn't negotiate the nurse's call bell and would shout-out whatever they wanted. Those same patients couldn't call the nurse when their infusion pumps beeped (which by the way is every few hours) so I ended up pressing my call button on their behalf just so I could make the noise stop! The man across from me was in diapers and had a few times where he inadvertently exposed himself to me (poor fellow, my heart ached for his lack of privacy). The room had to be all re-arranged to make room for everyone's equipment leaving absolutely no room for our personal effects. In general, it was a nightmare for me, and frustratingly not the first one I've had there. The older folks with dementia had to wait sometimes hours to get bathed and fed in the morning and they just laid there unable to relocate their bodies on their own in the same position they were put in.

No dignity, no respect, no sleep, no rest. Overworked staff, crappy outdated rooms that don't work with modern equipment.

Shame shame shame.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Sorry twobits, but I didn't see an "And" in there.

Watched the debate, read the blues... bottom line, as far as the Hon. R. Coleman is concerned, is the hospital is "pretty good."

Did you have something you wanted to add?
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Drip_Torch wrote:Sorry twobits, but I didn't see an "And" in there.

Watched the debate, read the blues... bottom line, as far as the Hon. R. Coleman is concerned, is the hospital is "pretty good."

Did you have something you wanted to add?

No, nothing to add......just seemed like there should have been something further. Pretty lame comment by Coleman. Maybe next time he's around here we could get someone practiced in the art of voodoo to bring on a burst appendix or something and see if he still thinks it's "pretty good".

madmudder
Board Meister

Post by madmudder »

Maybe we should have opted for a new hospital instead of the soec years ago. :dyinglaughing:
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

Good news for Kelowna! Footings started for yet another tower expansion to the Kelowna hospital..
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

nepal wrote:Good news for Kelowna! Footings started for yet another tower expansion to the Kelowna hospital..

Are you not understanding that this is an IH office building, not hospital facilities, not attatched to KGH, and not in competition for funding with Pentictons Hospital expansion?

nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

twobits wrote:Are you not understanding that this is an IH office building, not hospital facilities, not attached to KGH, and not in competition for funding with Pentictons Hospital expansion?

Twobits. I wasn't born yesterday :-) In fact yesterday, I drove by KGH and there is a large new addition just starting, with tower crane set up, construction fence erected and project sign along the street. The project is located on the NE corner of KGH.

The IH office mega tower is a totally separate project, located downtown, and large rent to be paid by IH to private landlord.

KGH will have a very nice hospital, as well as downtown IH admin tower too.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Interior heart and surgical center?

From the budget speech...

"In the health care sector we're investing $2.3 billion in capital projects, including the redevelopment of B.C. Children's and Women's Hospital in Vancouver, a new Surrey Memorial Hospital emergency department and critical care tower, a new Interior heart and surgical centre in Kelowna, the replacement and expansion of north Island hospitals, the redevelopment at East Kootenay Hospital in Cranbrook, the replacement of Lakes District Hospital in Burns Lake, the replacement of Queen Charlotte–Haida Gwaii Hospital."
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

There is a rally tomorrow for those who wish to show support for the PRH expansion between 11am and 1pm. I bet you see no local politicians there (especially our mayor who initially supports the project but yet follows on the coat/skirt tales of whatever Christy says). This is the problem; an MLA will seldom have the B_lls to push their leader, they simply are expected to follow as sheep. In this case (the Liberals)...very lost little sheep. Since the mayor is still mayor until he takes a LOA, he SHOULD be there, pounding the pavement just like the doctors, nurses and Joe public will be, insisting that the project get priority. link:

http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/ ... n-Regional
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Interior heart and surgical centre... no more question mark...

from the Ministers speech yesterday...

Work is underway for a new Interior heart and surgical centre in Kelowna, the replacement and expansion of north Island hospitals, the redevelopment at East Kootenay Hospital in Cranbrook, the replacement of Lakes District Hospital in Burns Lake and the replacement of Queen Charlotte–Haida Gwaii hospital. There is also work underway to redevelop the Royal Columbian Hospital, the Vernon Jubilee Hospital in Vernon and the Royal Inland Hospital in Kamloops.
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

Perhaps IH can supply Pentictonites with self-help medical/surgical manuals, where we can do everything ourselves at home. No reason why we can't convert our microwave ovens into MRI's and use our TVs for the pictures. Our power tools could do all sorts of procedures, beds already there, food already provided, mirrors work great for self-operating, duct tape is good for cuts and splints, hard booze for anesthetic. Just think of the additional savings and how much more of our money could be provided to Kel. Silly us, we've just never learned to be resourceful and creative...
:trippyquoter:

Return to “Central Okanagan”