Vandals trash bus shelter by Scotiabank

sportster72

Vandals trash bus shelter by Scotiabank

Post by sportster72 »

With the fact that there are surveillance cameras everywhere, there's got to be a way for these cretin vandals to be identified and prosecuted, right?
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: vandals trash bus shelter by Scotiabank

Post by oneh2obabe »

Unfortunately the cameras don't cover the bus shelter. This is the 5th or 6th time that particular shelter has been vandalized.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
sportster72

Post by sportster72 »

You'd think that after a few times someone would actually aim a camera there...

Regardless, I just passed by and huge kudos to the maintenance people who have the whole mess cleaned up! :hailjo:
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Maintenance are always on the job cleaning the mess at that shelter and the others that get trashed. At least the glaziers are getting faster at replacing the panes.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
sportster72

Post by sportster72 »

I wonder what the cost is to taxpayers for these BLEEPS getting their lolz.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

DWK should have gone with metal bus shelters like K'town installed at Orchard Park and other shelters along Hwy. 97. They should seriously consider replacing broken panes with herculite - initial cost would be higher but it's much stronger than tempered glass. Glaziers and I were chatting while they were replacing a couple of units and they agreed herculite would be better.

The shelters at Westbank Exchange have been damaged at least 5 times, the shelter across from the Petro Can once, and the shelter by the Lions Hall had 2 panes smashed.

gloryniights

Re: Vandals trash bus shelter by Scotiabank

Post by gloryniights »

Wowwie, not even 6 months after replacing the last ones. I used to work at the Starbucks near that exchange and we had our windows smashed the last time they went after the bus stops... along with some car windows along Brown Road.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was the same kids - every time I drive past it's the same ne'er-do-wells sitting there.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Clearly it is time for some video surveillance to be installed!! Once is too many times, but multiple incidents requires definite action. These punks, and if necessary their parents, need to know this behavior isn't going to be tolerated. It would be interesting to know how many incidents of public mischief/ property damage are occurring in West Kelowna. Perhaps there is a small group of miscreants who are responsible for the majority of it. That is usually the way it goes, isn't it.
sportster72

Post by sportster72 »

The cost of slapping up a cam or two is certainly far less than keeping on replacing glass. Put up the cams, find out who these bozos are, and then force their parents to pay up. I can assure you after they cut a couple of cheques, they'll figure out a way to keep these cretins at home instead of smashing up other people's property.
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

I am in total agreement with the above posters and believe that the small cost of cameras would be worth it.

We also need bylaw there to get rid of the scum that has been hanging out there constantly. There is open drinking, drug use etc. These young people intimidate older people who may use the bank and other stores.

Unfortunately with the crappy way our judicial system works even when they ID these idiots, they will be right back on the street causing more trouble!
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

All you need is 365 people to agree to keep watch for one night.
Best to catch them in the act.
sportster72

Post by sportster72 »

OnTheRoadAgain wrote:All you need is 365 people to agree to keep watch for one night.
Best to catch them in the act.

Yeah, but then what?

1. You make a citizen's arrest and they either laugh at you or beat you up
2. You call the cops and by the time they arrive it's the next morning
3. You TOUCH them and they file assault charges against you

Cameras are better.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

Then what? You call 911 and tell them your location and that you are watching a vandal in progress.
That's it, they do the rest.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

OnTheRoadAgain wrote:Then what? You call 911 and tell them your location and that you are watching a vandal in progress.
That's it, they do the rest.

And how long before the police show up?

OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

You want me to give you a number? :dyinglaughing:
I can't tell you how long it would be, but when there is an 'in progress' 911 call, they get there real fast.
They like to catch 'em red handed too. Makes for a very satisfying day.

Return to “Central Okanagan”