RDCO Dog Control Review

nala08

Re: RDCO Dog Control Review

Post by nala08 »

[/quote]
THe RDCO chooses to take the owner to court instead of working out a consent ordert, ticket or what ever else might be appropriate. The owners are not taking RDCO to court. Read the law. It gives many powers to Dog control, going to court to destroy the dog is only one, they don't have to use it.[/quote]

First off I have read the dog bylaw, got a copy when I licensed my dog. If a dog causes serious injury its a $200 ticket, big deal that does NOTHING to protect the public. So after reading about Diesel I read the Community Charter online the only thing the RDCO can do is seize the dog, bring it before a provincial court Judge to make the decision (the RDCO does not make the decision) The consent order may work, there is no prevision in the bylaw or the community charter for them however (I read the reason for judgement in Diesels case, its in the forum fighting for mans best friend and it talks about them there) plus you must seek consent from all parties, so if like is Diesels case the owner refuses you must go to court.
Irresponsible dog owners should pay for the portion of the service they use!
I think the RDCO should sue the dog owner for their court costs if successful, If the RDCO looses then I would expect they pay the dog owners cost. I have not heard of a case they have lost, I would like to think they take this very serious, and are not out there rolling the dice to kill dogs.

And lets not muddy the waters the Judge order Diesel to be destroyed after a TRIAL cause he is a dangerous dog that caused serious injury. No roll of the dice there either.
Pain is inevitable - Suffering is optional
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

Thats something I have never understood. Why are they still going after the RDOC, when what is happening now is court orderd. I absolutely agree ,you can fight for better conditions, but this particular dog is now locked in the court system.Kind of like all those people that get time off for time served, only the poor dog cant compute that.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

yyy
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Feb 22nd, 2013, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
HonestBob
Fledgling

Post by HonestBob »

The judge made a decision based on facts in Diesel's case, the fact that Diesel is a dangerous dogs. That dog may not have bit someone, but Diesel did attack and bite something, a neighbour's dog. Zero tolerance. You want to profess to be a dog lover, how about standing up for Diesel's victim, the dog he attacked and bit.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

yyy
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Feb 22nd, 2013, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

yyy
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Feb 22nd, 2013, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
HonestBob
Fledgling

Post by HonestBob »

a big part of Dave's problem in regards to Diesel, is that his dog didn't get into a fight with another dog, his dog ATTACKED another dog, big difference. He won't fess up to being an irresponsible owner, and Diesel coud strike again, but imagine, just imagine if it was a child that dog attacked, maybe he won't, but maybe he will, but I bet most parents in that neighborhood aren't willing to risk it. Protecting public safety far outweighs saving a dangerous dog. The consultant spoke lots about responsible dog ownership, Dave is a great example of what poor dog ownership looks like.

Zero tolerance, there should be no place in our society for this type of violence. Too many kids here in the valley will live with facial scars, caused by dogs and their over entitled owners. Do we need someone to die here before we decide that public safety is more important than the "me me me" too many dog owners here have???
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

yyy
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Feb 22nd, 2013, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

yyy
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Feb 22nd, 2013, 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

People run "roughshod" over other peoples rights on a daily basis...just a matter of who can squeak the loudest and maybe who they know...or if that doesn't work, then the government does it for them. People should be able to work these things out. Sounds like this guy is either a dog hater or has a neighbor with a dog that irritates him. Sir....get your facts straight before running people down and jumping on a bandwagon you obviously know nothing about. Seems to me that you may be one of the people that would love to live in a dogless world.
I hope RDCO comes to their senses and puts reasonable laws in for both sides, enforces them in such a way that there are none of the cases like have been reported...and realizes they must hire knowledgeable (about dogs) and possibly psychiatric training for dealing with "over the top" residents...and there are a few! Also, I believe that anyone working with animals and the public should have to pass some form of a personality test. I can't imagine that a trained, reasonable person in a position with dog control would, seemingly, even go against their own bylaws....and would have the where with all to deal with each side of an issue in such a way that it would/could be worked out equitably. I also understand that there are situations where, as much as no one likes to think about it, it is the right thing to do to have a dog put down....but I would hope that it would have to have extenuating circumstances and a proven fact....unlike Diesel, just one example of many.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

yyy
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Feb 22nd, 2013, 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

Good newsclip tonight on Global.
Hombre
Fledgling

Post by Hombre »

mariesellka

Post by mariesellka »

Our family is in turmoil over the pound holding our sons dog locked up indefinitely.He did bite an elderly person who approached him as he was being walked on leash with someone who should of never been walking him as she had no control and as the woman passed and said something the dog lunged toward her.the dog was wrong and has never done anything like this before,he is such a baby so we are not sure of what transpired actually because none of us were there.Now he has been locked up for over a month the pound want to destroy him.There is a court date but no hope of having him home for Christmas and my sons girlfriend is the only one that has been allowed to see him as she bought his city tag.My son wants to make a dog run in the yard and get some obedience training for Hannibal,who doesn't understand any of this,the pound just goes on about how much them keeping him costs tax payers and that the kids should just let them kill the dog,I say let him come home where he belongs he has no record of doing anything like this .
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

So, what does this ... http://courts.gov.bc.ca/jdb-txt/SC/12/1 ... 61cor1.htm ... all mean?

Is Diesel still locked up? I lost track of things :(
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “Central Okanagan”