Double Fatal

TyrianQuill
Board Meister

Re: Double Fatal

Post by TyrianQuill »

“Catz”
Thank you and you are most welcome.

“gordon_as”
I know of someone who used to drink and drive so much so that after several drinking and driving infractions and DL suspensions he still did not give up drinking and driving but instead went out and bought a bar with living quarters above the bar, so now- he can drink and just walk up the stairs when he wants to go to bed. I realize that not all individuals are willing to learn change grow up and be responsible, there are many who do choose to just carry on doing what they want to until….

Sometimes ramifications do stick to the individual, sometimes not; this I fully realize, but for others, they do learn if presented a lesson.

Now, I think we each need to ask ourselves: what can we individually do, to either help now or later, or learn form this triadic event.

The teenage years are not the time of great learning, it is a time of development, the serious learning and training of the mind is done, in my opinion, in the formative years, the years when thought and deep contemplation can be instilled, and also to when the concept of consequences can be “safely” instilled. By the time teenage hood has happened hormones and attitude have kicked in. It though is not a waste of time to still try.

I think back to my own youth and all the stupid things I did and partook in, OMG! How I ever survived is beyond me, sometimes it is… just coincidence. However, I know I was very lucky as I had very conscientious and wise mentors when I was little, and they and what they instilled in me, somewhat protected me in my (stupid) teen years, that and just pure luck.

We, as the grown ups here, can do things to help, even if it is in only in our own back yards homes and neighbourhoods. How we live our lives, what we do and what we say, does filter down, little eyes do have big ears…. and wide open minds :-) But it takes time effort and forethought.

The way things are we cannot undo what has happened; our efforts can only colour the present, hopefully lessening occurrences of similar tragic situations in the future.

I agree with you "gordon_as"
My thinking for many years has been drinking and driving is “tolerated” by the law and (as a whole generally speaking) society. I think once convicted of drinking and driving, no excuse should be permitted not even for work is wise to allow. If a person who is old enough to earn the privilege to drive, chooses to drink and drive, they in doing so forfeit the privilege to drive again, and upon conviction.
Driving is an earned privilege not a citizen’s right.

I personally find it very disturbing that the society that we live in discourages uncomfortable or inconvenient consequences.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place (George Bernard Shaw)
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

gordon_as wrote:There is not much of a deterrent when the chances of getting caught are so low. I think that a 1 year licence suspension , and impound / forfeiture of the vehicle might make teens think twice about risking their life , the lives of their friends , and the lives of Every Single Other Person out on the road .

I can support much higher fines for drinking and driving and for other alcohol and drug related offenses, too. IMO having the vehicle impounded for an extended period of time (say, for as long as their license is suspended) would be a good start. License suspensions starting at one year and going up from there would help deter some - especially those who need their license to work. Fines starting at over $1,000 would also help make some people think twice before consuming alcohol to excess with subsequent offenses starting at about $5,000 and going up from there.

I don't like the heavy hand of government messing with people's lives and their ability to earn their keep, but I sure do have issues with idiots who can't govern themselves or with people who think they are so entitled that they can do whatever they want, whenever they want. Sometimes they need to be taken down a peg or two and money and withdrawal of privileges is the way to get that message across.

I am continually amazed (although I shouldn't be) at the number of parents who think they are good parents when they buy booze or drugs for their underage kids and their friends and then hand them the car keys, too.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
sassybee
Board Meister

Post by sassybee »

Has anybody heard any updated info on the surviving kids? They'll have scars for life, whether it's emotional or physical. I hope they learn something from this terrible experience.
Heart felt condolences to all four families involved.
As I walked my son to his car on Saturday, I told him that somewhere there is a couple sets of parents, probably sitting in a funeral home right now. Every parents nightmare.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

The 19yr old male is back home. I don't know about the girl.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
1Westside
Fledgling

Post by 1Westside »

Nice of everyone to derail a discussion about an awful accident into a soapbox for drinking and driving. Until all the details of this accident are known all of you suggesting that our kids are out of control etc need to pause and remember a tragedy has taken place. The time for pointing blame and offering up potentially misinformation is not now. Grow up.

One last note, I remember a day when I was of these kids age, and believe you me if many on here were honest with themselves you could think back to that point in your own lives and remember some of the reckless behaviour we all also did.
I believe our kids are way better prepared today to make decisions on alchohol and drugs than we were. They have to be, just by way of the information that is available today. We, at that age did not have any resources available to us, we lived and learned. I was lucky as I was in many accidents, one in particular was very bad.

Back off and leave these kids alone. If you want to *bleep* about them on here and say what a disappointment they are might I suggest you go to their high school tomorrow morning and see just how much this has impacted them. Remember this all ye nasty authors, this is roughly the 6th or 7th student that has died from MBSS in the last 2 1/2 years or so. *Try getting your point across without the insults/Trip
blueberry
Fledgling

Post by blueberry »

Nebula wrote:The 19yr old male is back home. I don't know about the girl.

That's some good news. Lets hope there's more on the girl soon.

Thanks for posting.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

1Westside wrote:might I suggest you go to their high school tomorrow morning and see just how much this has impacted them.

I figger they will only be "impacted" until the next party, the next toke, the next beer or the next joy ride. Then they will forget all about their dead and severely injured friends and go do what they want anyway.

1Westside wrote:this is roughly the 6th or 7th student that has died from MBSS in the last 2 1/2 years or so, so show some compassion and try to grow up.

6 or 7, eh? Who needs to "grow up"?

I have compassion - but its for the cops, the ambulance attendants, the tow truck drivers, the hospital personnel, etc ... who have to deal with this bloody mess that irresponsible people create.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Teaps
Board Meister

Post by Teaps »

grammafreddy wrote:I have compassion - but its for the cops, the ambulance attendants, the tow truck drivers, the hospital personnel, etc ... who have to deal with this bloody mess that irresponsible people create.

:rate10:
Scuba
Fledgling

Post by Scuba »

As sad and tragic this incident is.My sympathy goes out to the families who lost their loved ones. However we can't blame the roads for these tragic events.It's like saying guns are dangerous, yes they may be, only in the wrong hands. Vehicles and guns don't kill people, it's the operators behind them. If we use vehicles and guns in a responsible manner, then no one gets hurt or killed.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

Teaps wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:I have compassion - but its for the cops, the ambulance attendants, the tow truck drivers, the hospital personnel, etc ... who have to deal with this bloody mess that irresponsible people create.

:rate10:

My father was Edmonton Fire for 30 years and we were not allowed to even think about owning a motorcycle. If we were legal age he said fine but not while under my parents care.
RacerChic
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by RacerChic »

Mike was the Designated Driver that night, had not had a drop of alcohol. His truck was lifted quite a bit, and it is my understanding that the road conditions were sketchy at best.
Everyone needs to stop with the speculations, and hope beyond hope that Brianna will recover fully.
My thoughts and well wishes are with Delanie and Mikes families.
RC
I swear some people slipped into the gene pool that had no lifEguard.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

This senseless accident saddens me deeply. It really could have been my kids. They all spent time up the hill. We all know what they do when they get there and why they go.

That knowledge does nothing to lessen the impact. Nor does it change our attitudes to the reality. It will happen again likely. There is nothing profound in this latest tragedy. It is simply how it is and how it will be.

I too like so many can look back with wonder as to why I was spared along with the lives of so many of my fiends. Not all did however. Some were lost but not like the recent history here.

Our children have the cavalier attitude toward alcohol that they do because of us. As a parent, you don't have to be a drinker yourself. The cards are stacked against you either way. Preach abstinence and responsibility all you like. Your sermons are no match for the world out there or the powerful voices of your kids peers. We created this and we are left to clean up when the inevitable happens.

Calling them stupid is meaningless. It is however hurtful to those who knew and loved them.

Directing anger toward the driver serves no purpose. We set this up for him and many others like him who will follow and we will turn to the forums once again to spew disgust and disdain; none of which will do anything to fix what is broken.

Some of us are enablers who subscribe to the adage that if they're gonna do it anyway, it might as well be where I can watch them. That doesn't work. Sooner or later they will take the show on the road so to speak where they can do what they've been told is OK without being under the watchful eye(s) of their parents.

Drinking at home merely conditions them for drinking away from home.

I am not resting on any laurels here. I am not the best example of what not to do. I have made countless mistakes with my own kids and am guilty of less than exemplary behavior in front of them.

I drink. Everyone I know drinks. It has always been that way. I never condoned drinking by my children but I allowed it. I tried my best to make them understand "the what could happen" and they still puked in the bushes.

No one was raped or beaten up though. But some of their friends and peers were and some of them died.

We created this and we own it.

Forget the obvious things. We all knew or were pretty sure that when we heard what happened, where it happened and what time it happened and where they were coming from that there were some likely facts but until we are prepared to do something concrete, something solid to see that it doesn't happen again, (and really, who has that answer?) attacking the actions of a group of people who were acting much like many of the rest of us, regardless of age does nothing except rub salt in the wounds of anyone who cares one iota about these kids who are someones children, grand children, sisters and brothers and friends and class mates and team mates and confidantes and countless other meaningful, positive things.

My kids knew these kids and all indications are that they were not evil. They were just kids.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Excellent post, ledzep. Thank you.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Yes, great post ledzep. :rate10:
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Great to hear that they "apparently" had a designated driver who had not consumed any alcohol. Too bad he did not take his responsibilities one step further by ensuring his passengers wore seat belts , and by driving in a responsible manner. At the proper speed , even if the truck rolled over , all would likely have walked away from the crash.

This thread is about a double fatal crash ( notice I did not call it an accident ) , discussing the possible causes and the social issues which contribute to these tragedies in general , is by no means off topic. If there was another thread called " love and support " for the victims and their friends and families " , I would certainly respect that.

Return to “Central Okanagan”