Double Fatal

masen
Fledgling

Re: Double Fatal

Post by masen »

There are solutions to this, we need to go after the cause. We need to find out why people feel the need to drink and or take drugs at all. These both cause much human tragedy especially they say when the two are mixed. Until the root of the problem is looked for, the solution will never be found. Boohooing solves nothing but our ability to repeat this insanity for the next 1000 years.
Black Daisies
Board Meister

Post by Black Daisies »

Wally wrote:Sadly, the young man driving was the boyfriend of the late Ashlee Hyatt and was still very close with the family, He was to appear at the trial as the only sober witness that night, I feel such sympathy for the families involved, five terrible tragidies with children all involving stupid decisions made while alcohol involved, drunk or not no family should be dealing with this.

Because he was the only sober witness, what does that mean for the trial and for the defendant? Does this mean that she has a better chance of walking away?
Bretbaby
Übergod

Post by Bretbaby »

It does sound heartless to say that it was the driver's fault, but it was. Whether it was his lift on his truck, driving too fast or drinking, he was the one that rolled the truck. From the sounds of it, it was a combination of all three. It's very sad and very unfortunate.

Don't get me wrong, I'm saying he was acting like an idiot, however most of us have all done something similar, as mentioned in above posts, myself included. I was lucky.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

masen wrote:There are solutions to this, we need to go after the cause. We need to find out why people feel the need to drink and or take drugs at all. These both cause much human tragedy especially they say when the two are mixed. Until the root of the problem is looked for, the solution will never be found. Boohooing solves nothing but our ability to repeat this insanity for the next 1000 years.

Long story short, it begins when we are kids and spin around to get dizzy. Kids cut off their oxygen supply in the 'choking game', to get those few seconds of tingling. Animals like to alter their state of minds too, finding forest fruits and leaves coming back each year to experience the high.
This will likely never change, as much as we try to teach kids to just say no, it is much more likely they will succumb to peer pressure for a sense of belonging in a group. Nobody is exempt. Kids at the bible camp were asking a leader to get booze for them.
In order to realize this phenomenon of why kids don't always do what their parents say, and don't always do the right thing, even when they know right from wrong, there are some examples in the social concerns thread viewtopic.php?f=31&t=45226
Wally
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Wally »

Black Daisies wrote:
Because he was the only sober witness, what does that mean for the trial and for the defendant? Does this mean that she has a better chance of walking away?

I am told he has given his statement to a judge but not to the jury at trial yet, I do not know what this will mean for the trial but its definatly not ideal.
Going today, hear tommorow
mystica
Board Meister

Post by mystica »

Teaps, I feel sad for you with all your obvious bitter and cynical comments.

Dead is dead and no amount of rants and raves regarding the whys or wherefores of this particular incident will change the tragic outcome.

Spare a thought for the parents and families of these young people.
Four parents grieving for their dead children (we are always our parents "children" no matter how old we are).
Another set holding vigil for their daughter who is in critical condition.
And another set traumatized by the accident and relieved that their son is upgraded to "serious" condition.

Back off and leave the families their dignity to cope with this awful nightmare.

To all the families involved and to those touched by this accident, I send you healing thoughts and hope for a peaceful recovery from this traumatic shock.
Teaps
Board Meister

Post by Teaps »

Mystica, don't you DARE tell me what I can and can not think and can or can not say regarding any given situation. This is a free country with the freedom to voice my opinion, good or bad.

Do I feel Horrible this happened and send my prayers to the families that they pull through this tough time alright? YOUR DAMN RIGHT I DO!

Do I think this kid was stupid for getting behind the wheel while drunk...YOUR DAMN RIGHT I DO!

Am I going to lose sleep over another drunk driver death? Nope....
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Let's keep this thread about the details of the accident itself. We get it Teaps, you're the guy who tells it like it is while everyone else is boohooing.

Does anyone have an update on the condition of the two survivors of the crash? Teaps, perhaps you can put your source to good use and answer this.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Wally
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Wally »

My kid said the male may or may not ba a parapalegic, as they say,critical condition, so obviosly not good. It will be a long time before we know. I dont recall what the females prognosis was.
I must correct myself, there are at least six families within this group of teens going through hell regardless of cause or fault it sucks all around and 18 -20 year olds are generally not emotionally preparded to deal with these sort of life changing events, that may have had something to do with this latest tragedy as well.
Hug your kids, it could happen to you.
Going today, hear tommorow
blizzard

Post by blizzard »

delete.
Last edited by blizzard on Oct 21st, 2012, 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mystica
Board Meister

Post by mystica »

Teaps wrote:Mystica, don't you DARE tell me what I can and can not think and can or can not say regarding any given situation. This is a free country with the freedom to voice my opinion, good or bad.

Do I feel Horrible this happened and send my prayers to the families that they pull through this tough time alright? YOUR DAMN RIGHT I DO!

Do I think this kid was stupid for getting behind the wheel while drunk...YOUR DAMN RIGHT I DO!

Am I going to lose sleep over another drunk driver death? Nope....

Teaps , I did not suggest that you could not think whatever you wish to think. My comment should have been that all posters should back off to allow the families involved to have space to deal with the immediate horror of the situation. I apologize if you feel that I was directing my "Back off" comment solely to you - you are but one of many .

Sadly many of us make damning assumptions without having any knowledge of facts to back them up. Until the results of tests come back, we do not know the physical condition of any of the occupants of the truck. In a later post we hear that the other Peachland man is back home and that the partial cause of the accident was swerving to avoid a cow on the road.

But again, until the accident report comes in, we can only believe that is what happened.

Do I believe in Free Speech? You're Damn right! I do!

Do I believe in thinking before I open my mouth or commit stuff to paper? You're damn right I do!

Do I believe in being sensitive about the stuff I say? Well I cannot lie. Some have said that I don't always manage to do that.

I am sure that you are a caring person who is just as sick as the rest of us to hear of young lives sadly lost in possibly avoidable accidents.

Good luck to all involved and again my thoughts are with all touched by this tragedy.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

This is going to, sadly, be another incident that I will be discussing with my 15 (soon to be 16) year-old. It was not too long ago that we had a little 'exchange of dialogue' about weighing good choices versus bad risks. My teen 'claims' that it's different now and her generation is so much smarter. While it was hard to choke back my dismissive laughter at the time, I am not chuckling any more, because it dawned on me that in the past decade, this valley has annually lost at least one or more teens or recent gradutates to bad choices regarding partying. It seems to me that the bad decisions our kids make have more drastic consequences than we experienced.

We as parents all recall the bush parties of our day, but I really---and I mean really---do not recall the death rate of my peers being as high as we are currently seeing.

I had opportunity to view one of the victim's Facebook pages. I'm saddened to see the flaunting of much alcohol and immaturity.

Bad decisions.
Bad consequences.
The innocent now get to pick up the pieces.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

kgcayenne wrote:I had opportunity to view one of the victim's Facebook pages. I'm saddened to see the flaunting of much alcohol and immaturity.

^This^. Shocked as well.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

Are we really still shocked to hear this? Me, not so much now. Used to be shocking, now it's more sickening, and almost expected. It is unbelievable.
kc: I hope you clicked on that link 9 posts above, it would be a great thing to watch with your daughter.
She will experience practice and foresight, as well as insight into how vulnerable she might be in similar situations....
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

You shouldn't be. It's a small town, Trip.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

Return to “Central Okanagan”