Double Fatal

Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Re: Double Fatal

Post by Nebula »

matai wrote:And this is not any type of road... it's gravel, really curvy, going downhill, along Deep Creek with no protective barrier. If you fall off the road, you just have no chance of survival, no matter if you're sober or not, because it plunges about 100m down.

I'm not sure what your point is. The accident took place after a curve, on a fairly flat stretch, with no big embankments.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Nebula wrote:I'm not sure what your point is. The accident took place after a curve, on a fairly flat stretch, with no big embankments.

There's no point to my point, I was describing the road.

I've seen the memorial and in my memory, it was just past a curve and going downhill?
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

when I was gradding (many yrs ago ..lol) they showed us pictures, had a gal in a wheelchair who was a passenger with a drinking driver, but they did bring a smashed up car too and I remember that making the biggest impact on most of us...then the Officer said to us to look at everybody sitting here because in time a certain percentage will die due to drinking and driving...the shock factor was excellent as I still remember it vividly after all these yrs
TazzTheCat
Fledgling

Post by TazzTheCat »

I think it would be especially effective if t were brought to local schools. Then when kids think 'this doesn't happen to me and my friends' they can see that it actually does. Even take it to the school baxter graduated from. Show them that this lifestyle leads to all sorts of tragedy and maybe show them a timeline of all the deaths in this one group. Can you imagine if all the families got together to spark change. The ones who have lost children, the ones that had children invloved with the tragedies and show others that there is room for change. Probably just beating a dead horse as none of the parents of the kids in this group take any responsibility for the actions of their kids. They all just point and blame. And when it happens to their kid. .. they point and scream.
The floggings will continue, until morale improves.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Bingo, Tazz. Dead on.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

I agree completely too !! and throw in recovered drug addicts, drunks and gangsters too...nothing wrong with showing the younger generation where really dumb decisions can take you...and no doubt it might cost $$ but it would be money very well spent in my opinion...alot of people need something "visual" to make a huge impact instead of just verbal....
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

They created a shock movie called "Losing Control" - Dérapages - in Quebec last year, aimed at showing the consequences of drug & drunk driving to the young people. It was relating real experiences with pictures and videos such as the ones above, and interview with witnesses & victims. It did raise awareness at the moment, but on the long term run, what did it change? Nothing, unfortunately. Teaser if you're interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9DyDcUd6Pw

And it was broadcast in several high schools, theaters & on national public television.

Edit to add extract with the some shocking images:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE5M5gQ4J8w
Last edited by matai on Nov 5th, 2013, 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

You can't say it changed nothing. Maybe it made a difference to some.

There is no way to stop youth drinking problems. No one is going to reach every kid. Some kids will think they're invincible.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Nebula wrote:You can't say it changed nothing.

I should have specified "globally, according to the stats".
Tori_K
Fledgling

Post by Tori_K »

I think with all the imagery we get as entertainment has taken away the impact mere images of these accidents have on us. Actually having the beat up vehicle in front of you where it is without a doubt not some special effects or doctored images really drives it home that yes, it can actually happen to you.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

I repost this on my facebook page just before the Christmas Holidays every year. Turn your volume up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2mf8DtWWd8

Perhaps ICBC could use some of our money to produce something similar to this aimed at the younger crowd.
The " if you drink and drive , we will catch you " approach that ICBC has been using is too easy to ignore. useless.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

I've seen this one it's really powerful.
TazzTheCat
Fledgling

Post by TazzTheCat »

Unfortunately I am going to be a negative Nelly here and say that these changes won't happen here. Even though there seems to be a high concentration of alcohol/drug fueled deaths in a small group of young adults, the problem lies deeper. It stems from their upbringing. We can see the proof of this because the tragedies keep piling up and are similar in nature.
It is a like minded group of parents, raising the next generation of themselves, counseling each other, and then patting themselves on their backs saying 'we did everything a great parent could possibly do, and there were no red flags', saying how tragic and unfair this all is.
The 'average' teenager does not run away from home at 16, live on her/his own, or couch surf drug dealers homes, and live generally unproductive existences. All the writing was on the wall in this group and there were huge red flags.
I cannot imagine the guilt these parents must live with. And the sadness and desperation. It must be unbearable.
However, to try and get them together and 'convince' them that a change can happen, means they will have to take responsibility for their children's and their own, actions.
Personally, I believe it would be so unbelievably powerful for other youth to see, and turn all these negatives into opportunities.
But another interesting thing is once the news about Baxter was confirmed, all those yappy parents have ceased to have an opinion, both in the media and online? Why? Strange to say the least - and in my opinion only of course.
And as far as those drinking and driving videos go, if they save even one life - I think it worked. But it could be taken a step further in this community.
Last edited by TazzTheCat on Nov 6th, 2013, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Might be off topic... could they not use the back of N & L DL to print a shocking image... like they do on smoke packs.. would be a good reminder for those who get it for the 1st time and everytime they get it out. Would be cost free for the govt as well.
TazzTheCat
Fledgling

Post by TazzTheCat »

The sad part is that it doesn't matter now, he died being a drunk driver who killed a 16 year old girl, while disobeying the laws of impaired driving, 'N' rules that were implemented to prevent such tragedies and had he lived. ... the story would be murder to be proven in a court of law.
He made a mistake. Yes. Lets chat about forgiveness now?

Return to “Central Okanagan”