Did students get out school to attend a Warriors game?

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Re: Did students get out school to attend a Warriors game?

Post by averagejoe »

Triple 6 wrote:They did it in 2011 too. :)

http://www.kelownacapnews.com/sports/wa ... 77188.html

Wow! Go to a hockey game (that's played during the evening) and get a day off school! :200:

The 2011 was an exibition game during the exibition season. So it meant nothing. So every year from now on there is going to be a game played. Last years game was the Westside Warriors school game.

Great advertising and promotion for a privately owned business.

From the article....

The Westside Warriors are spreading the love to students in West Kelowna schools today.

Royal LePage Place will be packed with school kids Tuesday for a special mid-day B.C. Hockey League exhibition game between the Warriors and the Vernon Vipers.

The two teams meet at 11 a.m. today (Tuesday) in the inaugural Westside Warriors school game.

"This is hopefully the first of many school games we hold to get the youth in our community amped up about us before the season," said Andrew Deans, Warriors sales and marketing manager. "We want to make sure they leave with a memorable experience so we have a few school challenges we're going to execute. We want to get all the schools in West Kelowna behind us."

The Warriors offered each middle and elementary school in West Kelowna 150 tickets in exchange for the school's bringing the kids to the rink.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Many school games......

"This is hopefully the first of many school games we hold to get the youth in our community amped up about us before the season," said Andrew Deans, Warriors sales and marketing manager. "We want to make sure they leave with a memorable experience so we have a few school challenges we're going to execute. We want to get all the schools in West Kelowna behind us."
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

AshleyLS99 wrote:Again, we only live once. Why not give these children an oppurtunity to cheer on LOCAL hero's who may not otherwise have a chance to ATTEND a Warrior's game. Let's not forget there are more than a few - less fortunate families out there who may not see a warrior's game a neccessity or appropriate way to spend their hard earned dollars when they're already having a difficult enough time putting food on the table.

It's about equal oppurtunity. Commradary.

Believe it or not - schools budget out days for 'out of school' activities or field trips. A number of classes head to the pool for a 'fun swims' - nothing more, nothing less. Just fun. Because children still deserve a chance to have fun.
I agree - pools, golf, etc. don't promote life skills any more than watching a hockey game does - it's great for the kids to experience a game that normally wouldn't be able to afford it.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Have you thought about contacting SD23? I mean you are obviously upset by this. Did your child miss school to go to the game?
I think it's great. The Warrior games are not cheap. Maybe some kid that cannot attend due to financial reasons during the reg. season can see one because of this.

averagejoe wrote:Many school games......

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

[quote="AshleyLS99"

Again, we only live once. Why not give these children an oppurtunity to cheer on LOCAL hero's who may not otherwise have a chance to ATTEND a Warrior's game. Let's not forget there are more than a few - less fortunate families out there who may not see a warrior's game a neccessity or appropriate way to spend their hard earned dollars when they're already having a difficult enough time putting food on the table.

Believe it or not - schools budget out days for 'out of school' activities or field trips. A number of classes head to the pool for a 'fun swims' - nothing more, nothing less. Just fun. Because children still deserve a chance to have fun.[quote]

They have every chance to ATTEND a Warrior's game during the evening or maybe an afternoon Sunday game. This a business using time off from school to promote themselves. Free or not, they are doing this for future fans at the expense of the children's education.

AshleyLS99

Post by AshleyLS99 »

I don't see anything wrong with what Andrew Deans is doing. Infact, I think it's wonderful. It benefits both parties even if you don't see it that way. I recall earlier in this thread a couple of people mentioned that parents did have to give permission. So if you're so afraid of your child missing 1 day of school. Don't allow them to go. I'm sure they'd love to sit at the school and pretend to work while the other children are out at the game having some fun.

I must have missed something a long the line - was there a law enforced against having some honest fun?

I fail to see your arguement and I'm not asking you to repeat any of it because I can read just fine. If you do have children, I feel for them.
AshleyLS99

Post by AshleyLS99 »

averagejoe wrote:[quote="AshleyLS99"

Again, we only live once. Why not give these children an oppurtunity to cheer on LOCAL hero's who may not otherwise have a chance to ATTEND a Warrior's game. Let's not forget there are more than a few - less fortunate families out there who may not see a warrior's game a neccessity or appropriate way to spend their hard earned dollars when they're already having a difficult enough time putting food on the table.

Believe it or not - schools budget out days for 'out of school' activities or field trips. A number of classes head to the pool for a 'fun swims' - nothing more, nothing less. Just fun. Because children still deserve a chance to have fun.

They have every chance to ATTEND a Warrior's game during the evening or maybe an afternoon Sunday game. This a business using time off from school to promote themselves. Free or not, they are doing this for future fans at the expense of the children's education.

Unfortunately, not all families can afford tickets to these evening games. As I mentioned before.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

They have every chance to ATTEND a Warrior's game during the evening or maybe an afternoon Sunday game
No, they don't unless you plan on paying for those that can't afford it.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Triple 6 wrote:Have you thought about contacting SD23? I mean you are obviously upset by this. Did your child miss school to go to the game?
I think it's great. The Warrior games are not cheap. Maybe some kid that cannot attend due to financial reasons during the reg. season can see one because of this.

Actually Triple 6, I have coached some of the Warriors years ago. I have a problem a business that's being promoted and children missing school. I do attend Warriors games. This is just wrong.
Last edited by averagejoe on Oct 24th, 2012, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Well, I don't see the point of complaining here when the kids and parents, school and hockey teams are quite happy to be involved.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Fancy wrote:Well, I don't see the point of complaining here when the kids and parents, school and hockey teams are quite happy to be involved.

How many parents, 6 in total so far? A couple of hockey mom's making comments that they support their children missing school to attend a hockey game.

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Obviously all the ones that went. How many didn't go? You can ask the school that question as you are the only one complaining.
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

averagejoe wrote:Actually Triple 6, I have coached some of the Warriors years ago. I have a problem a business that's being promoted and children missing school. I do attend Warriors games. This just wrong.

And what are you hoping to accomplish by whining about it endlessly on Castanet? If it upsets you so much complain to SD23 and tell them how you feel! :purefury:

I've got kids in 2 different schools in West Kelowna and neither of them got to go to the game, maybe I should call SD23 myself and complain about that!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Where does the number "6" come in? I didn't read that anywhere. I'm assuming a whole class went.
AshleyLS99

Post by AshleyLS99 »

averagejoe wrote:
Fancy wrote:Well, I don't see the point of complaining here when the kids and parents, school and hockey teams are quite happy to be involved.

How many parents, 6 in total so far? A couple of hockey mom's making comments that they support their children missing school to attend a hockey game.

I'm neither a mom, nor a huge hockey fan.

Return to “Central Okanagan”